1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Macro Tube Extensions or Raynox DCR 250?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by audiodrive, Jun 17, 2013.

1. audiodrive

audiodrive Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Prairies
    jef
    I am looking to try and do macro photography. However, due to budget constrain, my option is choosing between the AF Macro Tube Extension (Meke or Skyblue) and the Raynox DCR250. Any recommendation is highly appreciated.

Thank in advance.

2. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    What lenses do you own? In general shorter focal length lenses are better with tubes, longer focal length lenses work better with closeup lenses.

Sent from my Samsung Note II via mu-43 app.

3. audiodrive

audiodrive Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Prairies
    jef
    I have the following lenses:

Oly 14-42mmII
    Oly 40-150mm
    Sigma 19mm

4. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Get the extension tubes if you don't want any loss in image quality. They will work well with your 19mm or kit lenses.

5. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Have you considered Marumi's close-up filters? I use one with my 40-150, and the IQ is quite good.

--Ken

6. christofp

christofp Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    In this case, it's easy:

The 40-150 with a +2 or +3 diopter (I have a Marumi +3diop 58mm achromat) is a very good combination.

You will get
    - very sharp macros (sharper than my 75mm/1.8 with tubes for example, because tube also has some influence on sharpness ...)
    - a very nice working distance (about 40cm)
    - a versatile zoom/magnification range from 1:10 to 1:2
    - a very fast AF

With this +2 or +3 lens you can handhold your macros.

If you chose a +4 or +8 diopter, the magnification and DOF is quite demanding, so you would need a tripod and a flash.

If you combine your zooms with an ext.tube instead, the working distance as well as focus will vary with your zoom factor. For me, this kind of effect is difficult to handle.

7. audiodrive

audiodrive Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Prairies
    jef
    Have'nt checked on those close-up filters. Thanks for the info, im going to check info about it

8. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    They are most easily available on Amazon. The quality of these filters/close-up lenses is quite good. They are a great addition when you want some close-up capabilities in an ultra light kit.

--Ken

9. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    I really like the Marumi Acromats. This was taken with a Marumi DHG 200 (+5) Achromat on an m40-150 and E-P2.

10. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Consider Kenko

I'd consider the Kenko extension tubes. These maintain the electrical lens connections, so yo will not loose any features. I've used the Raynox filters. As a low cost alternative, they are OK, but you do loose some image quality.

Here are a few examples using the Kenko.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/wasabi_bob/8116748062/" title="In God We Trust by Wasabi Bob, on Flickr"> 8116748062_1236c85a3d_c. "800" height="450" alt="In God We Trust"></a>

Self Portrait - My reflection on the tip of a ball point pen.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/wasabi_bob/7171944568/" title="Pen Tip Self Portrait by Wasabi Bob, on Flickr"> 7171944568_259373ac7f_c. "800" height="600" alt="Pen Tip Self Portrait"></a>

• Like Like x 1
  11. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    The DCR250 is very cool and fun (and look pretty sharp to MY untrained eye at least) but it's kind of difficult to use with a very narrow DOF. It might be worth trying the 150 (less magnification but possibly more useful and likely a better starting point).

12. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    To the OP: Regardless of your preferred solution, do not purchase too much magnification unless you are planning to use some sort of support like a tripod. Hand holding at very high magnifications is very frustrating, and leads to a very low keeper rate. I chose the lower powered Marumi for this reason, and am very glad that I did. The DOF you will be working with is very slim, and the slightest movement by you will throw your subject out of focus.

Good luck,

--Ken

13. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I have both extension tubes and DCR-250, well never use tubes; just can't get used to them.

14. audiodrive

audiodrive Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Prairies
    jef
    Thanks for all the information. Im going to check the marumi acromats as well. All the information shared are very helpful... just need to decide :)

15. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    If carry size isn't an issue I'd look into a legacy 50mm F4 macro as well. The ability to go from infinity to close up is very convenient.