1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Macro reversed kit lens

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by KS11, Mar 16, 2011.

1. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    sorry to repost this topic, but i read this a while back (didnt save the original thread) about somebody having some kind of adaptor to reverse their kit lens (the olympus m zuiko 14-42mm) into a macro lens.

well i had a m42 screwmount adaptor lying around and played around with focal lengths on it. these pictures were taken with my hand placing the lens firmly onto the adaptor and just taken by moving the whole camera into focus (epl1)

i was just wondering what kind of adaptor you could use to put it more in securely in place as was posted in that original thread...i thought the results were interesting and since the price was right (0$) i was wondering what would be a more feasible way to mount it on backwards instead of just adjusting it the way i did.

• Like Like x 1
  2. mqavila

mqavila Mu-43 Regular

I recently bought a reverse ring for my Lumix 14-45mm kit lens and tried to do some macro work. This is the first time that I mounted a "non-native" lens on my GH2 and I noticed several things:

1. Since it's reversed, the O.I.S. didn't work and it was virtually impossible to keep my hands steady enough to get a sharp image (tried taking pictures of sugar). I don't have a single sharp image. How do I remedy this?

2. Apparently, if i attach a "non-native" lens to the GH2, the camera doesn't recognize it and I end up having to select "Shoot w/o Lens - On". Is this the case for all non-native lens on the GH2?

3. locus000

locus000 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 10, 2011
    Good thing Olympus IS is in the body!!
    I did the same thing, hand held the lens, 14-42mm

A mechanical pencil and a pen tip
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  4. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    You need to add more light and increase your shutter speed. That will greatly increase your chances for getting a sharp image. Otherwise, use a tripod with a macro focusing rail.

That's true with just about any electronic camera if you attach a lens that's not made for that mount. If you use adapted lenses, you might as well just set the Shoot W/O lens on and forget it - it'll work with everything then.

• Like Like x 1