Macro: Please help!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by eawhitcomb, Apr 18, 2011.

1. eawhitcomb

eawhitcomb Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 17, 2011
    Waukesha, WI
    I took a class a couple years ago and it was macro photography of flowers. I really liked shooting macro and would like to expand to insects (spiders, dragonflies, etc.).

I finally got an Olympus E-PL2. I have the two kit lenses (14-42 and 45-150) and I have the Panny 20mm.

I went to my local camera store, told them what I wanted to do (insects and flowers) and they told me to get an Olympus 35mm f/3.5 macro. So now I have it and I just tried playing with it. I'm thinking if I use this lens I have to get way too close to the insects to use it (and they'll end up flying away).

Would somebody please help me with which lens I need for macro for flowers (close) as well as insects (don't want to get too close to scare them away).

Thank you very much!
  2. eawhitcomb

eawhitcomb Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 17, 2011
    Waukesha, WI
    And I should have mentioned mostly shooting hand-held.

3. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    Hi !

35mm FL will definitely be very (too ???) short for shooting insects.
    I'm using a 105mm and even a 200mm for that purpose, but then they are manual focus, so I do it mostly from tripod. Although, with the 105mm handheld shooting is possible if there is plenty of light.

200mm handheld results in few keepers.

C U,
  4. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    35 or even 50mm macro way to short for insects (if you dont gas them with chloroform like some do :rolleyes:)

For a start, instead of lugging extra specialized gear, why don't you get the MCON-P01 close-up lens from Olympus? It fits in front of your kit lenses.

With your 40-150, it can get you as close as to shoot a 1" x 1.5" object (close to 1:1 macro ratio in 35mm terms), with a comfortable +/- 18" shooting distance. Modern close-up lenses are cheap, portable and their IQ is better on long lenses.

And since you got the E-PL2, you'll soon be interested in its micro-LED double macro light MAL-1, cheaper and way more compact than any other dedicated macro light.

When it comes to macro lenses and lights is probably the most experienced manufacturer.

Both accessories together (plus an extra battery...) will cost you a fraction of a specific "macro" lens.
  5. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    My macro tip for shooting insects? Get out early in the morning, especially when it is cool. Many insects are sluggish until it warms up and can be photographed easier!
  6. eawhitcomb

eawhitcomb Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 17, 2011
    Waukesha, WI
    Thanks for all the help (especially getting out early in the morning). I've been planning on the MCON P-01 but have a feeling it will be quite a while before I see one of those. With spring coming I was hoping to have something for all the flowers that will some point....maybe in August at the rate our weather is going!

But seeing as how I don't want to spend almost $500.00 for a lens, and then however much for some kind of adapter, I guess I'll hold off for a while and see if I hear anything about the adapter from Olympus.

Thanks again for the help!