Macro Photography with 60mm - Looking for Suitable Flash/Ring Light - Need advice

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Nikstar65, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Nikstar65

Nikstar65 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 28, 2012
    Hi everyone,
    I'm looking for a Ring Light/Flash for my EM5 - to be used with the Oly 60mm (46mm filter) and I need advice.
    I have been looking at two options - Firstly the Yongnuo
    and Secondly the Metz 15 MS-1 Macro Ring Flash -

I enjoy Macro and would like to take it up a notch and not just rely on natural Light. If anyone can advise of any type of Flash or Ring Light it would be appreciated.
    I don't want to spend a fortune on the rig anywhere between $100-200 would be good. I found the Metz 15 MS-Ring Flash for $379 on ebay, but it doesn't come with a 46mm Adapter ring, so that would have to be purchased separately.
    What are others using?

Attached Files:

2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I don't think you can go wrong with that ring flash, it's a true ring flash (not just LED), with assist lights and at a great price. And eBay has it even cheaper.
  3. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    The Yongnuo appears to be dedicated for Canon, so will only work in manual mode with your E-M5; the Metz is, I understand, fully dedicated, but, from what I have read, a bit on the bulky side. Neither are necessarily immovable impediments, but you should be aware of these things all the same.

However, I should also add that a ring flash is not the only sort of macro flash setup: a flash (such as the FL-600R) on a bracket and with a small diffuser can work well, too, if you like a more directional light setup, and has the advantage of being less expensive and suitable for non-macro work, too: see the blow for examples:

[​IMG]February flower by James E. Petts, on Flickr

[​IMG]Spring flowers by James E. Petts, on Flickr
    • Like Like x 1
  4. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I use the FL-36R with a diffuser, either on a bracket or hand held. Like James said, it gives you more flexibility with the directionality of the light.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    I have a fl600r and a metz ring flash. I am only dabbling in macro atm, but here are my experiences:
    -tried some macro fl600r + bent white paper. Nice softer diffused light. I still had to bump up my ISO, as the paper wasn't reflecting that much light. Could be improved with a better diffuser/soft box. Rouge flashbender has been suggested to be in the past.
    -tried some macro with the metz ring flash. Light still seems a little harsh, even with the included "diffuser" attached.
    (samples below)

Jamespetts suggestion sounds good as well, I think it will give you nice results. However, it'll also be a larger setup and can be more difficult getting it close to easily frightened insects.

With fl600r:

[​IMG]P4190098.jpg by hazwing, on Flickr

[​IMG]P4190079.jpg by hazwing, on Flickr

With Metz ring flash:

<div class="pixels-photo">
    <p>[​IMG]"Photograph Untitled by h w on 500px"></p>
    <a href="">Untitled by h w on 500px</a>

<div class="pixels-photo">
    <p>[​IMG]"Photograph Untitled by h w on 500px"></p>
    <a href="">Untitled by h w on 500px</a>
    • Like Like x 2
  6. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama, USA
    I too like using the FL-36R hand held with the E-P5 and 60 macro. I tried the FL-600R but it was larger/heavier plus I hated the blinding (to me) white light from the front of the FL-600R. With either flash you must point the remote sensor on the front of the flash toward the cameras flash which acts as a commander for wireless TTL flash. The focus assist light on both flashes pulses every few seconds to let you know the flash is recycled and ready to fire again. The FL-36R has a much dimmer red light that pulses at you and is IMHO a lot less annoying. Of course you can forego wireless on both flashes and use Olympus dedicated flash extension cable which works well at close distances.