1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Macro Meet in Brisbane, Australia? + Droning On ...

Discussion in 'Nature' started by MarkB1, Dec 16, 2015.

1. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    Anyone interested in a regular or irregular macro meet in SE Bris or surrounds?

Everybody is welcome to participate, beginner to expert, old or young - no discrimination. Anybody, basically, with a respect for nature and interested in meeting up for macro in the garden, a cup of tea/?, chat and/or walk in the local bush.

The idea is to meet at different places, peoples gardens or favourite shooting spots, at different times. It can be my garden one week, and maybe my local shooting places if nothing shows up in the garden. The next week/month it can be another's garden or shooting places. It's one way for people with a common interest to meet on occasion. How and when it works is up to the people who take part.

I'm in Victoria Point, 4165 - The Redlands in SE Brisbane - and if anybody wants to meet up let me know. All the pictures I post here are in my garden or local spots.

Any interest? PM me or comment here is good.

The Drone Fly, of Droning On ...

The butterfly bush is new in the garden and attractive to so many creatures. It was just luck I was sitting next to it when the fly came along and proceeded at a pace I could keep up to for a few keepers.

p1040271_filtered-mark-berkery.

p1040170_filtered-mark-berkery.

p1040190_filtered-mark-berkery.

p1040224_filtered-mark-berkery.

p1040264_filtered-mark-berkery.

• Like Like x 10
  2. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    Superb shots - as usual! Too bad I live so far away, otherwise I'd be there. :)

3. banj911

banj911 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2014
    QLD Australia
    Hi Mark, I'm in the Ipswich area and would love to meet up for a macro shoot. I tend to shoot at night so I can use flash and that's not when I'm working! It would be good to get some more interest and see how other macro shooters go about their work.
    I'll watch this post with interest.
    Cheers
    Bandy

4. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    Thanks Teemu. Finland's not so far, especially after a few dark months of winter there. Lots of snowflakes to shoot. :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    Bandy, do I know that name from somewhere?

I've got similar threads on a few other macro and nature fora, one here - Macro Meet in Bris?

I use flash at any time, day or night makes little difference except to ambient light which can be accounted for with placed or arranged backgrounds.

My contact page is - Contact - if you ever want to meet up regardless of numbers let me know and we'll arrange it. I'm more or less retired so am flexible regarding timing and location, though I know the Redlands best, and my garden is productive - having been designed to attract bugs.

6. banj911

banj911 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2014
    QLD Australia
    Yep, I've visited your Natures Place site a few times and have always been impressed with your images Mark. Your garden sounds good to me, mine's varied but not insect friendly. I'll work out when I can get to your area and let you know.
    Cheers.

7. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    Hi Mark, I always admire your macro shots! Didn't realise were in the same corner or the world. I dabble in macro but not really dedicated shooter of the genre. I'm based in the western suburbs, it's a slight trip the victoria point but doable. Have been pretty busy with life, but if a date is set, I'll try make it.

8. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    There have been a couple of mu43 Brisbane meet ups in the past, might tag a few of the regulars to see if they are interested
    @David A@David A
    @RnR@RnR

• Like Like x 1
  9. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Thanks for the headsup Henry! And awesome pictures Mark. Not really into the macro genre, although I certainly appreciate the output :) Had the fairly awesome Nikon 105mm f4 Ais a while back but sold it to a mate.

10. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    You are welcome any time if you are coming this way, just let me know thought comment here and/or my contact page - Contact More formally I think I will be arranging a meet for mid January and will post again about it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    Thanks R&R. An achromat on a zoom is how I did it for years.

12. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thanks for the heads from me also, Henry.

Like Hasse, I'm not into macro though I like seeing the results. I don't mind a meet up however, and one involving a walk in local bush could be very pleasant provided I was allowed to take photos that aren't close up.

13. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    Ok guys and girls. There's been a lot of interest from far and wide and just a few from anywhere near but not the numbers to warrant a formal arrangement. So here's what I propose.

If you are coming my way from any distance or you live around Brisbane and you want to meet up the same applies, just get in touch through here - Contact - and we'll arrange it.

I go shooting almost every day, in between the rain and outside the midday heat. That means any day early morning or mid to late afternoon is good.

It's up to you, I'm available. Contact me.

All the best for the NY. Mark

PS Anyone interested in my new setup see 1/5th the way down this page - Macro Illustrated

From an old field of bees that have now disappeared.
    p2010647_markberkery.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Angus Gibbins

Angus Gibbins Mu-43 Regular

Dec 6, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Angus
    Another Brisbanite here! I can probably learn more from any of you than you can learn from me, but I'm always keen for a photo walk or a coffee or a beer (preferably a nice stout in winter!).

15. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    You are welcome around any time Angus.

Surprisingly lots of bugs in the field while almost none in the garden. See here - Macro Walkabout ... Will post some later.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
    • Like Like x 2