Macro lenses?

davidedric

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dave
Probably like many others, I'm wondering about having a go at macro photography with my G80/85. Can anyone please point me to threads or reviews of the various lens. Thanks.

robcee

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rob Campbell
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

davidedric

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks. I did try that but was overwhelmed with posts that didn't help. Ok I'll look elsewhere.

Joris

Mu-43 Veteran
From what I know there are the Lumix 30mm, the Panasonic Leica 45mm and the Zuiko 60mm, which is supposedly most useful for insects since it allows for some distance. Some reviews can be found on Lenstip.com, ePHOTOzine.com, imaging-resource.com, dxomark.com, among others.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Thanks. I did try that but was overwhelmed with posts that didn't help. Ok I'll look elsewhere.
Before you get too bent out of shape.
Think about it. "Someone" has to do that search, sift through the results and filter it down.
We don't have the threads saved so that we can just give you the links.

I bookmark very few threads.
I have to do the same search when I was looking for something that I know there is a specific thread for.
Running searches and sifting through results, is just part of the on-line life.

Even if you don't find reviews here, Olympus 60mm macro is a universally loved lens with fabulous image quality and going for it will not be a mistake. That is one lens that will keep me in m43.

RS86

Mu-43 Veteran
Not much to think about. 60mm Olympus should be the best choice for lets say 95 % of people.

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
For studio work you want a 30 mm

For live insects, etc. you want a 60 mm

There is a very good review by Ming Thuin?? (the guy who photos watches a lot - in Singapore maybe) and he liked the Oly 60 best. His review should be easy to find as he is a prolific blogger/reviewer and even hired an employee or compatriot recently.

RS86

Mu-43 Veteran
For studio work you want a 30 mm

For live insects, etc. you want a 60 mm

There is a very good review by Ming Thuin?? (the guy who photos watches a lot - in Singapore maybe) and he liked the Oly 60 best. His review should be easy to find as he is a prolific blogger/reviewer and even hired an employee or compatriot recently.
Yeah, 60mm can be used in studio too, so for a single macro lens I'd estimate 5 % might focus mostly on studio.

Ming Thein it is.

ArizonaMike

Mu-43 Top Veteran
From what I know there are the Lumix 30mm, the Panasonic Leica 45mm and the Zuiko 60mm, which is supposedly most useful for insects since it allows for some distance. Some reviews can be found on Lenstip.com, ePHOTOzine.com, imaging-resource.com, dxomark.com, among others.
Is there some reason that you skipped the Olympus 30mm Macro? I was thinking about buying it because it recently went on sale but thought you might have skipped listing it for some very good reason like it was not a decent macro lens, so I wanted to ask.

piggsy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Also consider various goodies - the Panasonic 45mm and 30mm have lens stabilisation, the 30mm olympus 3.5 can go to 1.25x magnification, the Olympus 60mm 2.8 is weather sealed. Panasonic 45mm and Olympus 60mm have a physical focus limiter switch.

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
All macro lenses are reputably, (is that even a word?), excellent.
Every one, that I have had, has certainly been so.
I could live without the focus limiter switch, easily..
I promise to swoop on the next oly 30 I can lay my hands on. :)

Real Name
Roddy
The Panasonic 30 is not only good for macro, but also makes a decent walk-around lens, so if you are going out for a stroll with just one lens and one body, you may prefer the field of view the P30 gives you compared to the O60.You may feel you are missing out on insect shots with a smaller lens, but with care and a stealthy approach you can still find a bunch of things to photograph.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I have a Flickr page for some P30mm shots if you're interested. You can find it here. Hope this helps....

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
Also consider various goodies - the Panasonic 45mm and 30mm have lens stabilisation, the 30mm olympus 3.5 can go to 1.25x magnification, the Olympus 60mm 2.8 is weather sealed. Panasonic 45mm and Olympus 60mm have a physical focus limiter switch.
a good point - most "macros" are really just close-ups, so stabilisation can be worthwhile

I will say that the focus on my PL-45 is bog slow however.

A 30 mm will give you more usable working distances, so that is why you may want one.

Also don't neglect the ability to focus stack in body - that feature has about eliminated my use of my Nikon gear (3 macro lenses, bellows, their magic macro flash system, etc.) in favor of my Pany setup

piggsy

Mu-43 All-Pro
All macro lenses are reputably, (is that even a word?), excellent.
Every one, that I have had, has certainly been so.
I could live without the focus limiter switch, easily..
I promise to swoop on the next oly 30 I can lay my hands on. :)
My retail therapy treat was one of these -

https://www.venuslens.net/product/laowa-15mm-f/

If you have the 60mm already, the 30mms (at least at higher magnfiication ranges) aren't significantly different from what you can do with the 60mm + Raynox combo, since they increase magnification by shortening the focal length. 15mm is looking genuinely weird enough for macro to be worth doing :D

piggsy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Thing that freaks me out about that lens is the huge flange around the front... I think I would probably hate it, but if anybody can figure out how to decently light a subject despite that and zero working distance, I guess you will... :2thumbs:
I almost bought the KX-800 with it!

https://www.venuslens.net/product/macro-twin-flash-kx-800/

That'd be perfect, I think. But I think I spent too much and too long working on my existing twin flash setup to just give in without trying to make them work with the 15mm first. The petal style hood detaches from it, fortunately.

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Wow, some wicked shots on that page piggsy.
I think it’s to fancy for me, it’ll be tricky not to get blown skies with it, which is always a problem for me. But if I had that twinlite too....??? Haha.
No way, got no money, only got lockdown.

junkyardsparkle

haunted scrap heap
But I think I spent too much and too long working on my existing twin flash setup to just give in without trying to make them work with the 15mm first.
Well, on the bright side, you'll probably be able to shoot at less light-hungry apertures... maybe. Can you even put a polarizer on that thing? :hmmm:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom