macro lens

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by dave, Feb 11, 2012.

1. dave

dave Mu-43 Regular

Jan 30, 2012
    Im curious what is the best macro lens for :43: and what are the majority using for macro, this could be native or adapted im just currious and interested in getting a macro lens. So whats the suggestions guys :smile:

2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Native PL 45/2.8

You will be hard pressed to beat it's image quality, and it autofocuses.

3. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    If you don't mind manual focus, I can recommend the Canon FD 50mm f3.5 Macro. I picked mine up in mint condition with extension tube for under $100, which is a bargain in my book. This lens is painfully sharp. I've seen similar results from other macros such as Nikon's Micro Nikkor, so I would think as long as you stick with one of the major brands, it's probably hard to make a bad choice.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    All the Four-Thirds macro lenses will also Auto Focus, and provide unbeatable image quality. Like the Zuiko 35mm/3.5 and 50mm/2 macros which are two of the sharpest lenses ever. The 35mm will provide true 1:1 but requires an insanely close working distance, but the 50mm is a higher grade lens with a little better image quality and weather sealing (useful with the MMF-3 and OM-D). Then there are the Sigma 105mm/2.8 and APO 150mm/2.8 macros which will provide you a much greater working distance at 1:1. Using 4/3 over m4/3 will allow you to use macro accessories like extension tubes and teleconverters.

Of course, there's no need to limit yourself to native lenses with macro, where AF is not normally used...

5. dave

dave Mu-43 Regular

Jan 30, 2012
    Ok so here is a silly question, but im still a novice for the most part. What is the difference between a regular lens and a macro, is it just focusing distance or is there some other difference ? Im fine with manual focus and i have my nikon 50mm 1.8 i use to play with on my D90 as well as a converter for that to micro 4/3. Can someone explain the difference to me ? Thanks guys your all a great help

6. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    The Zuiko 35mm/3.5 is one of the best and cheapest native AF 1:1 macro lens. I use it and despite the slow AF, but for macro its not a problem for me, it really gives you outstanding pictures.

7. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    You might just get some extension tubes for your Nikon 50 if you're not looking to spend a lot. Manual sets are available for small amounts on ebay. Otherwise, pre-ai 55/3.5 Micro Nikkors can be had cheaply and you already have the adapter. These are great lenses. You need to add a tube for 1:1.

As you suggest, macro lenses just focus closer to give more magnification. AF macro lenses are slow to focus because they use finer steps to cope with the small focussing distance.

8. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    The 55/3.5 Micro Nikkor and 50/3.5 Macro OM Zuiko are both legendary, either one will give you great results. Forget AF, it's a sales gimmick when it comes to doing real macro work, it will drive you down the road of frustration Unfortunately many people get close-up photography mixed up with true macro photography, in cases where your doing 1:4 magnification or less, AF would be fine in most cases.

9. ckrueger

ckrueger Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Define "best". What are your primary requirements?

Native lenses are more expensive.

There are limited choices for focal length for native lenses. 45mm and (soon) 60mm.

Four Thirds lenses work, but focus more slowly than M43 lenses. Do you care?

Adapted lenses have no aperture control. You open them up to meter/focus, then stop down to shoot. This will slow down your shooting.

To me the best lens available right now is the Panasonic 45. Decent working distance, internal focus, compact and light, and the native niceties (AF and aperture control). Cost is higher than adapted lenses, but it's still within budget so I'm OK with that.

10. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Focusing closer is part of it. Most macro lenses will focus close enough to put a 1/2 life size or life size image on your sensor. You can get the same image size by using regular lenses and extension tubes or a bellows.

Macro lenses are designed to perform best at close distances, they usually are designed to produce a flat field. If you use one to photograph something flat the image should be in focus out to the corners. A regular lens often has a slightly curved "plane" of focus.

Back in the " old days" macro lenses were often the sharpest lenses made by a manufacturer. They were often uses for scientific and technical purposes where image detail was more important than in general photography.

Fred

• Like Like x 1
  11. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I would argue that with the touch screen focus, AF is once again valuable for macro.

12. dave

dave Mu-43 Regular

Jan 30, 2012
    Thankyou all for you input so macro is not my primary target but i do like to do it on ocasion, what kind of results could i expect from my nikon 50 1.8 and extension tubes. In normal ise the 50 mm is very sharp, i love the quality i get.

13. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    You'll get excellent results. Especially with a tripod.

Fred

14. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Since I haven't tried one I have to ask, how do you use the touch screen shutter release without disturbing the shot? It's not like the traditional shutter button where you can give it a slow and steady squeeze. Almost by definition it's going to send a pulse through the camera or cause it to jerk. :confused:

15. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    A big problem is the AF box is too big when doing macro, probably okay when doing casual close-up's, but hopeless for true macro work.

16. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I don't use the touch shutter, just selection of the AF point, however, the answer is the same, really, as using the shutter button - good setup/equipment (a truly sturdy tripod) and good technique (don't just jab at the screen)

The AF box has been sufficiently small for what i do, i would imagine with the pinpoint mode on the G3, (which I have not used, TBH) you would be better yet, only leaving you the very occasional MF "touch up".

17. Beady

Beady Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 10, 2012
    Trenton Ohio
    One of the reasons I bought a m4/3 camera was to use it with a 105 macro. My thinking was that the 2x crop factor and smaller sensor would yield a greater depth of field. Also the live view on the back to focus would be easier as I would not have to have my eyes down near the camera (knees are getting older). I would be using a nikon mount with an adaptor and manual focus. Using AF on a macro lens is difficult in practice depending on the subject (trying to shoot an insect on a tripod and get a focus point to line up on his eyes). In practice I have never done this on a view screen so will have to give it a go in a couple of weeks when the weather breaks.
    Anybody else have any thoughts ideas or practical experience doing this?

18. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I think you are about to experience a revelation.

Magnified live view for macro will make you swear off viewfinders for sure, :)

19. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Canon photo examples?

Judy
    I use the 45/2.8 and I'm very happy with it. I do however have to admit that the Canon FD 50mm f3.5 Macro has been tempting me for some time, largely due to the attractive $$ it can be purchased for. I assume you use one? Are you using an extension tube with it? Can you post a few shots or a link to some?
    Thanks, WB