Macro lens help...

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by sabeking, Apr 24, 2012.

1. sabeking

sabeking Mu-43 Regular

Feb 22, 2012
    North Carolina
    Ok, I got a Minolta 50mm 3.5 macro, with 1:1 adapter, from a person here on MU-43. First and foremost, it is in excellent condition and I am appreciative of being able to buy from someone here.

So, here is the question: am I supposed to be able to hold this thing, using my EPL-1, and get clear and sharp pictures?

Trying to hold and take pictures is almost impossible for me. Help!!!

2. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Try without the 1:1 adaptor first and don't forget to set the Image Stabilisation focal length (although you may want to switch it off completely as it may cause rather than suppress motion blur). Don't forget to zoom in with the manual focus-assist too.

Because the macro magnifies, it is also very susceptible to movement.

Also try and support yourself and the camera on something and get in close - I tend to use both hands and my elbows for bracing.

If you don't mind spending a little more $$ get a tripod (they're pretty cheap for an entry level one) and you may find a focus platform useful too (essentially you get in close and use the knobs on the focus platform mounted on the tripod to move in/out rather than your body).

If you're not shooting anything in motion (eg bugs) you can also try using a timer on shutter (only really useful for tripod) - that way even the motion of pressing the shutter won't affect the picture - it should have been damped by the time the countdown automatically fires the shutter-release (a remote shutter release is also handy).

Good luck - you'll have a blast !
  3. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    how are you focusing? if you are at 1:1, focus by moving the camera back and forth rather than using the focus ring.

Are you stopping down the lens? if you have the lens stopped down, you won't get very high shutter speeds.