1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Macro lens choices: OLY 60 or adapted Manual glass

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by scottychop, Jan 8, 2013.

1. scottychop

scottychop Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2012
    Seattle
    Scott
    I have been doing a bit of research on Macro lenses recently. I was originally a Nikon shooter with a few old 55 micros. I no longer own them but wish I had one lying around to do a side by side of the new OLY 60. If you had $500 to spend on a macro lens, which avenue would you pursue?

1. New OLY 60?
    2. Several old manual lenses...

2. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    I bought a Micro-Nikkor 55mm/3.5 last summer for less than $50. I'd prefer the auto-focusing Oly 60, but for my casual purposes I'd rather have the $450 difference.

I can't say I'd spend that difference on old manual lenses, though. My eyesight isn't as good as my camera's autofocus. I'm still on the lookout for manual-focus bargains (Nikon E Series! Super Cosina!) as I find them, but my expensive lens purchases are native MFT.

If you want the highest quality and won't miss the $500, I'd bet the Oly 60 would make you happier than the Micro-Nikkor.

3. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    I had a Tokina 90mm 2.5, one of the best manual macros ever and I sold it to get the 60mm. My reasons were this:AF(for general use), smaller size, able to sell my 45mm 1.8 as well to reduce my overall kit size/weight, weather sealed to match the om-d.

I do miss the extra working distance granted by the 90mm (and external vs internal focus) and the feel of real manual focus but overall I'm happy. I do hope for a 100-150mm native macro in the future though.

4. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    I've had the Tamron 90mm f/2.5 for ~two years now and I thought it was an amazing macro lens... Until I got the Oly 60mm. I was happy with the Tamron but shooting with the Oly 60mm gives me the WOW-effect quite often.

I've been editing my ~500 pics from the trip to Australia lately and every now and then there's some shots (whether it's macro/portrait/etc) taken with the 60mm and I can't but admire the image quality. Amazingly sharp and full of detail.

I paid ~460€ (~US$600) for mine and I couldn't be happier. Totally worth it.

EDIT: OK, to be honest, I COULD be happier... If it had max. aperture of ~f/1.x and the manual focus feel of the Tamron. :wink:

5. garfield_cz

garfield_cz Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Pavel
    If you are occasional macro shooter then go with cheap old adapted lens. Otherwise I would suggest native Macro lens, either PL45 or mZD60 would be far better as both are razor sharp and superior in micro-contrast.

6. McBob

McBob Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2012
    I shoot a ton of macro professionally, and have been well-served by the aforementioned Nikon 55/3.5. With $500, I'd probably upgrade to the 55/2.8.

I'm interested in the Oly 50/f2 4/3 macro, but haven't had the chance to test one yet.

7. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    +1, that $500 can get you some other glass unless you shoot a lot of macros. I've got the excellent Kiron 105/2.8 and it's quite heavy, but other native glass is higher on my priority list.

8. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Just to mention, some folks here have gone with the Olympus 45 and some Kenko extension tubes and have gotten great results. The extension tubes support AF and go for $179 at B&H.

9. scottychop

scottychop Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2012
    Seattle
    Scott
    macro

Thanks for all the responses. I am an occasional shooter, but do want really good glass for when I have the time to go out. Macro is my all time favorite way to shoot and what I am best at.

Is the OLY 45 a macro lens?

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Nope, the m.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8. The Leica 45mm f/2.8 Macro-Elmarit is.

With extension tubes the m.Zuiko could be used for macro. Personally though, I would rather start off with a dedicated macro then add extension tubes from there to make it better.

• Like Like x 3
  11. scottychop

scottychop Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2012
    Seattle
    Scott
    Myself as well.

12. Joe_B

Joe_B Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2012
    Davis, California
    Scott,

Over on The GetDPI Photography 4/3rds Cameras - Forum there is thread that looks at this very question.

Tesselator has written a nice response addressing the pros and cons of using a m4/3 macro lens or other alternate lenses.

It's post # 9 - lens choices - opinions please - The GetDPI Photography Forums

If you look around you will see some of Amin Sabet's posts on the GetDPI 4/3's Forums.

13. scottychop

scottychop Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2012
    Seattle
    Scott
    Wow. A great read. Sure would be nice to spend money on those top two lenses huh?!

14. vinay

vinay Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2012
    Toronto
    For what it's worth, my old Micro Nikkor 60mm f2.8 AF-D out resolves my 14, 20 and 45(1.8) native primes.