Macro LED Ring Flash Light

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by elavon, Oct 23, 2012.

1. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
  2. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Aaah, i was lookig at these just 2 weeks ago, along with the Metz ms-1. I tried one with only one row of LEDs. It was ok. I didnt help much with getting the shutter speed fast enough for handheld macros, but it did create a pleasing light. Not too flat and not too shadowy. I only had it for one day, I returned it and bought a regular flash. For 35 dollsrs, its worth a try to see of you like it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Laurentiu Cristofor

Laurentiu Cristofor Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    I have an old ring flash and it helps a lot with macro work. I was looking at these inexpensive flashes on ebay and I was thinking that if my old flash dies, I could exchange it with one. It's worth trying for the price, as uci2ci mentioned. BTW, my ring flash shots are here.

• Like Like x 3
  4. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Your macros look GREAT!

I cant find anything about the Panagor flash that your using. Its seems very rare.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

An alternative

Though not nearly as portable, I converted an old florescent magnifying desk lamp. I removed the magnifying lens and position the camera to shoot through the opening. It's fully adjustable, plenty of light, and manually white balancing the camera produces some very nice photos.

• Like Like x 2
  6. flipmack

flipmack Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2012
    irvine, CA
    I use and highly recommend this ring light.

I tend to use it with my remotely-triggered FL-36R to add more depth.

Some examples from the combo:

Note - the above pictures were taken with an Olympus E-620 with ZD 35/3.5 macro.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Laurentiu Cristofor

Laurentiu Cristofor Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    It is just an old flash I got from ebay. Probably made 20-30 years ago. Nothing special, really, except that it still works. The important idea is that a ring flash makes some macro shots much easier. Especially when light is not that good or you are casting shadow over the subject, it is great to have a guaranteed shutter speed for the shot. So you should definitely explore one of these LED ring flashes.

8. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    Not used it but this one is similar and also cheap, some reviews here: Neewer LED Macro Ring Flash FC100 For Canon Camera DSLR: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo and sample photos here (with G3, not my photos)

The one you linked to is similar though and has more led lights.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    Do you have to use an adaptor ring in combination with one of the supplied adaptor rings to make one of these units fit on an m43 lens with different thread size?
    And something I have been wondering - are all camera hotshoes on modern cameras the same size?

10. flipmack

flipmack Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2012
    irvine, CA
    yes. smallest adapter ring goes down to 46mm. I haven't used it on a native m4/3 lens. I had adapted my ZD 35/3.5 macro using the DMW-MA1 but the macro experience just wasn't there - AF was dismally slow, and unlike macro purists, I like to use AF for 1:1 macro.

the ring flash has no contacts on the hotshoe. it's not even a flash - it's just a light. It does have a hotshoe, but only to mount the power supply. Otherwise, it's a continuously-on light, which is great for consistent exposure.

11. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    Basically I am wondering when the Amazon listings say what camera these ring lights are for, that in fact is meaningless because they will fit on any camera with lenses that can take filters?

What I meant about sizes was about the shoe size regardless of it being hot or cold. What I gather from reading around is that all the major brands do have the same size shoes.

12. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    I'm pretty sure theyre all the same size except Sony.

13. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    Would that work at all w/a Raynox 250? I can't tell from the video at the amazon page.

14. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Kristi
    I have another ring light question. I'm looking at the ones mentioned here (like the NEEWER on Amazon) and the Polaroid LED one that is similarly priced. But my macro is the Pan Leica 45 f2.8, and it has a 46 mm diameter. All of the adapters that come with these are for larger lenses. The smallest adapter that I've seen is a 49 mm. Am I missing something? Are there generic adapters out there, or would I need to use some kind of step-up ring?

15. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    a step-up ring would do the trick.

• Like Like x 1