MACRO - if you're cool, you'll say photomacrography

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Luke, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    One of my flickr contacts (and also a mu-43 forum member) posted a fantastic explanation of his low budget photomacrography set-up.

He's a very friendly and helpful chap and has a great sense of humor. He also takes some breath-taking macro photos. Take a look here ....... A low budget rig for focus stacking | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

And he's very generous with his time and knowledge, feel free to ask any questions you have. He's adding the questions and answers to the flickr post so there's a great knowledge base he's building.

I'm proud to know Craig.Taylor (or DrLazer as he's known here). I'm the guy who sold him that sweet G10 ......... if anyone thinks they need the latest, most expensive camera to get incredible shots, just check out that link.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    You may want to check this forum out:

www.photomacrography.net...Front Page

BTW, enlarger lenses have long been known to be outstanding macro lenses as they are designed to work at small distance, require high resolving powers, and have a flat field. Because darkrooms not very popular anymore, you can pick them up at really good prices.

3. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    That is indeed where he learned a lot. I thought his how to build a budget m4/3 macro rig would be particularly suited to this group. That website is a veritable treasure trove of useful information.

4. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Not all enlarger lenses are equal. Look for a six-element design rather than a four-element one.

5. artsifrtsy

artsifrtsy Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2011
    Ozarks
    This is very cool indeed. I have been playing with an older OM macro lens and extension tubes for about a year and just picked up a matching OM bellows in a camera shop while I was on vacation and am itching to try it out. I still need to work on lighting solutions.

6. DrLazer

DrLazer Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2011
    Sheffield, UK
    Awwww shucks. Just seen traffic on my Flickr coming from here. Luke is too nice to me considering endless, relentless stick I give him most of the time.

Glad you like what you see dudes, I just "leveled up" and moved onto a 10x Nikon Achromat microscope objective (gives a 10:1 ratio, works well in the range of 8:1 -> 12:1 ... giving an effective optical magnification of 1000x). I'm going to get used to it, hopefully get a similar sized collection of images with that lens and then post a similar article soon.

Here is the first image from my new rig. The size of this guys head is about 2/3rds of 1mm.

Long Legged Fly / Dolichopodidae by Craig.Taylor, on Flickr

Please feel free to bombard me with questions if you feel the need. I love this stuff.

7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    What's your favorite color?

8. DrLazer

DrLazer Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2011
    Sheffield, UK
    Purple