Macro..Greater working distance required.

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Dave in Wales, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    I have the Oly 60mm Macro....Great lens but working distance is not enough.

Oly/Panny don't do anything longer i.e. 200-300, If they did it would cost an arm and a leg.

So I'm thinking of legacy lenses or other, such as the Sigma (Nikon AF) 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro.

Although AF it would work in MF mode via an adaptor with my E-M1.

The lens incorporates a Dual-Focus (DF) mechanism which allows to decouple the focus ring from the focusing gear by pulling/pushing it back and forth. In "manual focus" mode the camera's AF screw drive remains coupled so unless you disable AF on the camera you will end with a rotating focus ring. On the D200 the AF speed is fine for a macro lens but you should take advantage of the focus limiter when using the lens for non-macro applications in order to avoid focus hunting throughout the focus range.

The equivalent focal length in M4/3 would be..105 x 1.5 (Nikon CF) = 157.5 x 2 (M4/3 CF) = 315mm.

Which adaptor would I require please...Nikon G to M4/3.

Comments please and a check on my maths would be welcome.
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  2. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    105mm of any format will be 210mm "FF equivalent" with m4/3 camera.
  3. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    There's a thread right here from just days ago -

that goes over several options.

Short version: if you want long working distance with high magnification, particularly past 1:2, in something anywhere near 315mm equivalent, you are down to a handful of long (and usually quite expensive, eg, not much change from $1-2k) macro lenses, or alternatively, you can teleconvert a long/longish tele lens with high native magnification, or use a high (or stacked set) achromatic dioptre(s) with an ordinary telephoto lens.

Some cheap(ish) options -

As far as adapting that lens goes, you only ever use the printed focal length - so cropping the lens for m43 by 2x just means it ends up as a 210mm equivalent if it starts at 105, the crop of it on 1.5x crop systems is completely separate and irrelevant for m43 use.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. evilnim

evilnim Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2012
    Have you considered the 4/3 version of the Sigma lenses (105 or 150) with an adaptor?

I recently got the 150mm to use with the MMF-3 (initially tried a cheaper one from Amazon UK, but it kept dropping contact). It's great! AF works as well for those occasions where you might want to use it. Super sharp. Check out the image thread, I've posted a few rubbish images from my EM-1 there.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app