Macro Focus Slide rails

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by microfourthirdsnut, Dec 29, 2012.

1. microfourthirdsnut

microfourthirdsnut Mu-43 Regular

Oct 8, 2012
    Anyone using the Manfrotto 454 focus rail? I tried a few shots with the 60mm but really need to buy a rail before spring bug season, lol.
    I know there are more expensive rails and even cheaper ones on ebay but I really like Manfrotto stuff.

Any pics of rail and camera set ups?
  2. garfield_cz

garfield_cz Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Macro focus rails would be great for still studio shots, but I can't imagine it during outdoor macro shooting session. The best focusing technique is moving whole camera+flash+mono-pod combo back and forth while keeping lens pre-focused in manual mode. Remember, live moving bugs simply won't wait till you focus them precisely ;) Try even very slow opponent (snail for example) and you will hate your focusing rail and tripod in first few seconds. Mu4/3 is small enough to shoot macro with only mono-pod support or handheld bringing you high mobility and adaptability.
  3. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    I still have my Velbon rails. But I haven't pulled them out since getting the 60mm. You've reminded me to do so, though. Thanks.

4. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I am planning on getting the 60mm macro this spring and a focusing rail to go with it. This is one rail I had looked at but I did find several reviews that showed that it wobbles a little bit. This could prove to be an issue if you were doing stacking. Here is a review video that shows what I am talking about{skip to 2:45}

[ame=]Macro Photography - The Manfrotto 454 Micropositioning Plate Review - YouTube[/ame]
    • Like Like x 1
  5. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You might be right. After re-watching the video I am not sure he tightened it up properly. It is also possible that this guy got the lemon of the batch. I had seen one other review that mentioned that the gearing was not as tight as some other brands but for the life of me, I can't find it. I have used many other products from Manfrotto and they have always been good.