Macro Focus Slide rails

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by microfourthirdsnut, Dec 29, 2012.

1. microfourthirdsnut

microfourthirdsnut Mu-43 Regular

Oct 8, 2012
    Anyone using the Manfrotto 454 focus rail? I tried a few shots with the 60mm but really need to buy a rail before spring bug season, lol.
    I know there are more expensive rails and even cheaper ones on ebay but I really like Manfrotto stuff.

Any pics of rail and camera set ups?

2. garfield_cz

garfield_cz Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Pavel
    Macro focus rails would be great for still studio shots, but I can't imagine it during outdoor macro shooting session. The best focusing technique is moving whole camera+flash+mono-pod combo back and forth while keeping lens pre-focused in manual mode. Remember, live moving bugs simply won't wait till you focus them precisely ;)  Try even very slow opponent (snail for example) and you will hate your focusing rail and tripod in first few seconds. Mu4/3 is small enough to shoot macro with only mono-pod support or handheld bringing you high mobility and adaptability.

3. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I still have my Velbon rails. But I haven't pulled them out since getting the 60mm. You've reminded me to do so, though. Thanks.

Gordon

4. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I am planning on getting the 60mm macro this spring and a focusing rail to go with it. This is one rail I had looked at but I did find several reviews that showed that it wobbles a little bit. This could prove to be an issue if you were doing stacking. Here is a review video that shows what I am talking about{skip to 2:45}

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwyBzPdeq2s]Macro Photography - The Manfrotto 454 Micropositioning Plate Review - YouTube[/ame]

• Like Like x 1
  5. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You might be right. After re-watching the video I am not sure he tightened it up properly. It is also possible that this guy got the lemon of the batch. I had seen one other review that mentioned that the gearing was not as tight as some other brands but for the life of me, I can't find it. I have used many other products from Manfrotto and they have always been good.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.