1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

macro extension tubes

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by mesmerized, Jul 12, 2013.

1. mesmerized

mesmerized Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 18, 2012
    Howdy good ppl,

Here's the thing. I wish to buy a macro extension tube but I have no idea which one will be suitable for Zuiko 14-42mm. I want to mount it on E-PL1 body. Any advice?

Thanks!

EDIT: Will I have to forget about AF if I want to use extension tubes?

2. sam_nl

sam_nl Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 19, 2013
  3. GRID

GRID Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2011
    I use the Kenko tubes, they work just fine with AF also, but I dont have the 14-42mm, but it works fine on my oly 45mm F1.8

4. mesmerized

mesmerized Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 18, 2012
    I'm not quite sure how to choose a proper set of tubes... they come in different sizes and lengths... for example... in one set I get 2 tubes... one is 10mm and another is 16... but I also found another set... 13mm, 21mm, 31mm...

5. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    Fotaga extension tube for :43: are coming as a set of 10 and 16 mm, other lengths are for different mount.

Use the calculator in the link bellow to decide which combination you need.

Macro Extension Tubes & Close-up Lenses

Your lens has the magnification of x.19 for version II and x.24 for the first version.

The link bellow is a very good technical explanation

Macro Camera Lenses

6. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    I think the combination of 10+16mm tubes you find on ebay are all the same, just rebranded. I have the 'Meike' brand. It retains AF capabilities but can be fidgety depending on which tube+focal length you use, I think you lose infinity focus, the focusing range becomes very close. I really haven't used them much though, haven't had the time to go bug/flower hunting.

7. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    Does the auto focus works reliably when shooting macro?

8. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    As long as you have your subject in the correct focusing range, and there's sufficient light, AF behaves just the same as without the tubes. At least, that's been my experience.

9. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Please note that depending on the lens and tubes you use, the change focusing distance can sometimes be drastic. For example, when using the 10mm on my panny14, most of the time I have the subject literally a few cms from or even touching the lens.