1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Macro extension tubes for m43

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by curveshooter, Mar 22, 2013.

1. curveshooter

curveshooter Mu-43 Regular

Nov 29, 2012
    North Carolina
    I'm looking for a set of macro extension tubes to use with my kit zoom lens, as well as some adapted legacy lenses. I'd prefer :43: extension tubes, so I can use them with all the lenses and keep the legacy lenses mated to their respective adapters.

No electronic pass-through necessary (and not possible with my legacy lenses anyway), just something basic so I can casually play around with macro photography. Suggestions?

2. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    If there isn't electronic pass-thru, you can't use your kit lens. No way to focus or change aperture.

• Like Like x 1
  3. curveshooter

Nov 29, 2012
    North Carolina
    Thanks for pointing that out.

My two legacy lenses are Nikon 50mm f/1.8 and Canon FD 28mm f/2.8. I guess I'm still better off with one set of :43: macro extension tubes than having to buy a Nikon set and a Canon set. Unless there is no point in using macro extension tubes with a 28mm lens, in which case, maybe I'd better off with a Nikon set, though that would require more fidgeting as I'd have to remove the Nikon lens from the adapter to fit the tubes on, and replace it afterward.

4. curveshooter

Nov 29, 2012
    North Carolina
  5. Dc5e

Dc5e Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2012
    There's also the option of picking up a male to male reversing ring to mount a lens reversed onto one of your m43 lenses. The ring should be dirt cheap and it'll allow you to have aperture control with your m43 lenses. (Helpful because aperture stays open while composing)

• Like Like x 1
  6. curveshooter

Nov 29, 2012
    North Carolina
  7. Dc5e

Dc5e Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2012
  8. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    I picked up an old set of Nikon K-rings from Keh.com. I think it was less than $20 with a case. Works great with a 50mm.

All the older non AI stuff(M2, P1) is great/cheap and works just as good as the PK/PN when not attaching to a Nikon body.

9. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    I've just ordered a set of cheap Chinese ยต4/3 extension tubes. If they're like the similar Pentax ones I've got, quality will be fairly poor but they'll be workable. Screw together sections are a bit of a pain, but give an extra degree of flexibility over lengths.
    I also plan to use mine with Legacy lenses, I have extension tubes for those but I hope to use my tilt adapter, and I suspect tilting an extended lens will vignette badly.

BTW I've used stacked lenses as Dc5e suggests, and find it a very convieient way of working - it's probably my most common approach. It is apparently a little unpredictable as to which lens pairs will work well but I can't remember any problems as long as the reversed lens is a prime (except for severe vignetting with telescope eyepieces).

10. ivoire

ivoire Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
  11. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
  12. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    First I seen these. Heretofore the only brand of extension tubes with electronic connections for :43: that I've been aware of is the Kenko's which retail around US$175 or so. This $50 price point has my interest piqued. Please go ahead and order a set and let me know how they work. :tongue:

13. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
  14. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
  15. ivoire

ivoire Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    I'm debating on ordering. will let you know

16. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    I got a set of Kenko's. I use it with my PL 45mm f2.8 for a magnification of around 1.8 I believe. It has a nice build, although taking them off can be a pain sometimes.

17. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud