1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Macro Converter MCON-P01 for Olympus m4/3

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by OPSSam, Mar 15, 2011.

1. OPSSam

OPSSam Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2010
    NC
    My brief review of the MCON-P01 Macro lens adapter.

Had a chance to experiment with the new Macro attachment for some of the Olympus micro 4/3 lenses. (Mark II 14-42, 40-150, 14-150)

The unit fits on the larger two lenses, and fits on the 14-42mm mkII when the included 'adapter ring' is attached to it.

The 14-42 can focus closer than the 14-150 can at 14mm.

The 14-150 can focus a couple inches closer than the 40-150 can at 150mm.

With the macro you are generally cutting the minimum focus distance for the lenses in half. The tightest shot I could focus was the 14-150 at 150, one key on my keyboard with about 1/3 of the each key to the left and right in the frame (non-scientific measurement here, but you get the idea). According to Olympus, the 150s should be equal, but manual focusing seemed to let me focus slightly closer on the 14-150 at 150.

Bottom line, as the cheapest adapter of the three, it will give you the best bang for your buck in comparison to the wide and fisheye that will only go on the 14-42 mkII.

Either way it's best at 150mm, and the only way to get a tighter macro shot would be to adapt the 35mm full size zuiko lens.

Didn't see a post about this yet so I thought I'd post something. Also, since this is not really a full lens, I figured it belonged outside the lens review section.

• Like Like x 4
  2. elpanda

elpanda Mu-43 Regular

Feb 22, 2011
    HK
    Jacques
    Do you have a few example pictures to get an idea of how close you can get? I'm really tempted by this adapter :-d

3. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    What is a MCON-58 then? Just looking at that Accessories Chart posted elsewhere here...

4. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    It is quite puzzling.

This page at B & H is for an MCON 58 and it shows a picture of the MCON P01:
    Olympus CONVERTER MACRO MCON-58 (BLACK) 261550 B&H Photo Video

It seems to me there is only an MCON P01 and that sites mentioning a 58 are wrong. But I don't know.
    Maybe 58 was the original name and it was changed.

The other question is when the P01 will be available. It's been listed by many vendors for a while now, including the Olympus on-line shop, but is not in stock anywhere I can see.

5. WJW59

WJW59 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2011
    The big question is where did you actually find one?

6. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I had a chance to experiment with Raynox 250 and didn't like the experience. I tried it on both Pana 20mm and Oly 40-150mm. It seems that it's quite a bit more hassle to get good results with macro converters as opposed to dedicated macro lens. DoF is way too shallow even at max. apperture. Very hard to use for moving obkects like bugs... I've decided to look for legacy macro lens instead hoping for an easier handling.

7. OPSSam

OPSSam Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2010
    NC
    Macro examples.

I managed to get some shots to display what I meant. The pictures were handheld and did not have the same exact lighting etc, but I post these to illustrate that with manual focus, this is how tight the shot can get.

The first is the 40-150.
    Macro40150.

And the 14-150.
    Macro14150.

Any closer on either and I lose focus. The difference is minimal at best. Again, don't mind the difference in PQ, that is probably 99% my fault.

MCON-P01 is the number for this macro adapter, it's right on the lens itself and the box and the Olympus store website. Maybe the initial press release was wrong.

8. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    Your shot is on the 4th row in Google images!

9. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    how is the vig with the larger thread lenses wide open?

10. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    The problem with the raynox is that is not as great glass, and the 8 diopter, it is super hard to work with with super thin dof. The 150 is a 4.8 diopter as can be a issue to work if if you can not open the aperture up enough to compensate for the thin dof. They are really design for much smaller sensors that have very little shallow dof.

With a m4/3 a 2 diopter with a long zoom will work well, I put a canon 500D 2 diopter on my 45-200 and it had enough dof control at f12-16 to not be a problem.

If you are willing shot on a tripod exclusively and 4 diopter canon 250D will give you really close in macro at full zoom. The canon's are dual lens designs.

The oly is a 1 lens design not sure what the diopter rating is.