1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Macro Arm Light on E-PL5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dogman, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Dogman

Dogman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    Maryland
    Just got the Macro Arm Light (MAL-1) for the Olympus E-PL5. Works beautifully! Shot the orchid close-up below with a Pan/Leica 45/2.8 macro lens.
    20130110-DXT_1492.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 8
  2. (G)

(G) Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2012
    Minneapolis
    Great shot! I got one of these for Christmas and I'm dying to use it!

3. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Nice shot, Dogman. I have an MAL on order, and am looking forward to spring, when the flowers will be in bloom.

--Ken

4. tradesmith45

tradesmith45 Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 13, 2012
    Oregon
    I've been using one for couple months. I wish it was brighter. Outdoors, it often either makes no difference or doesn't add enough light for smaller F or faster shutter for hand holding.

But brighter would mean fast battery drain.

5. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I have heard others feel the same way. It will be interesting to see how it fits into my work habits. Often times, I wish I had a bit of light to take out, or reduce, a shadow. I was hoping that could be easily accomplished with the bendable arms, but only time will tell. Thanks for the heads up.

--Ken

6. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I agree. not bright enough.... For me, ideal apertures are f/8-f/16th depending on the lens which requires much more light output.

7. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    BTW, Oly now has these on their site for a discount

8. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Kristi
    It appears to be discounted to $39.95 on all the affiliate sites, most (not all) with free shipping.

9. tradesmith45

Dec 13, 2012
    Oregon
    Yes they are now $40 but for $80 or less you can buy a brighter LED ring light like the Polaroid Studio 48 @ Amazon or B&H.

I plan to buy one of these to replace the MAL-1 unless Olympus comes out w/ a II version soon.

10. Dogman

Dogman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    Maryland
    In my original post, I didn't mention that I use the MAL-1 primarily as a fill light. It does an exceptional job at filling in dark nooks and crannies where a larger light source would only blow out the entire image. I mostly use a tripod rather than hand holding. I agree the MAL-1 is rather weak to use as your only light source.

11. tradesmith45

Dec 13, 2012
    Oregon
    Yes, I would agree the MAL-1 has good uses. Just wanted others to know of its limitations as well.