1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Macro Arm Light on E-PL5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dogman, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Dogman

Dogman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 23, 2012
    Maryland
    Just got the Macro Arm Light (MAL-1) for the Olympus E-PL5. Works beautifully! Shot the orchid close-up below with a Pan/Leica 45/2.8 macro lens.
    20130110-DXT_1492.
    Canon EOS 5D Mark III    TS-E90mm f/2.8    90mm    f/22.0    1/0s    ISO 200

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 8
  2. (G)

(G) Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2012
    Minneapolis
    Great shot! I got one of these for Christmas and I'm dying to use it!

3. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Nice shot, Dogman. I have an MAL on order, and am looking forward to spring, when the flowers will be in bloom.

--Ken

4. tradesmith45

tradesmith45 Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 13, 2012
    Oregon
    I've been using one for couple months. I wish it was brighter. Outdoors, it often either makes no difference or doesn't add enough light for smaller F or faster shutter for hand holding.

But brighter would mean fast battery drain.

5. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I have heard others feel the same way. It will be interesting to see how it fits into my work habits. Often times, I wish I had a bit of light to take out, or reduce, a shadow. I was hoping that could be easily accomplished with the bendable arms, but only time will tell. Thanks for the heads up.

--Ken

6. I agree. not bright enough.... For me, ideal apertures are f/8-f/16th depending on the lens which requires much more light output.

7. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    BTW, Oly now has these on their site for a discount

8. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut Subscribing Member

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Kristi
    It appears to be discounted to $39.95 on all the affiliate sites, most (not all) with free shipping.

9. tradesmith45

Dec 13, 2012
    Oregon
    Yes they are now $40 but for $80 or less you can buy a brighter LED ring light like the Polaroid Studio 48 @ Amazon or B&H.

I plan to buy one of these to replace the MAL-1 unless Olympus comes out w/ a II version soon.

10. Dogman

Dogman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 23, 2012
    Maryland
    In my original post, I didn't mention that I use the MAL-1 primarily as a fill light. It does an exceptional job at filling in dark nooks and crannies where a larger light source would only blow out the entire image. I mostly use a tripod rather than hand holding. I agree the MAL-1 is rather weak to use as your only light source.

11. tradesmith45

Dec 13, 2012
    Oregon
    Yes, I would agree the MAL-1 has good uses. Just wanted others to know of its limitations as well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.