Macro and videolight

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by StefanKruse, May 15, 2016.

1. StefanKruse

StefanKruse Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with using a videolight for macro shooting. The idea would be that with a constant bright light, I would be able to use the burst function (and when I get a camera that will do also to use it for focus bracketing). Which would would be great for critters that tend to move i.e. bees visiting a flower.

I realize video lights are not as powerful as a flash but I own a fairly powerful videolight that I use for UW. Thanks

2. Philip Scott

Philip Scott Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2016
    Valley Forge, PA, USA
    I use various light sources this way for macro. Whether it's a ring light that can be set to 'constant on', or it's a common 'worklight' from a supply store, I like it for using Focus Bracketing on my Olympus Pen-F. Using a reflector and holder works quite well on a bright day as well.

3. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Whether you're using the on camera flash or video LED in the attached flash macro is generally close & a diffusing sheet at the end of the lens would likely be beneficial to spread the light without harsh reflections.

EDIT: On the other hand, I am not sure of the power output of that LED you're referring to though.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  4. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

What's the video light you're looking at using?

I have a 4xAA ring light as part of my macro setup - it's mainly something I use for spotting rather than for shooting though. Even with 65 LEDs arranged all around the lens a few cm from the target you're still looking at about 1/6 to 1/10 speed exposures for 1:1 at F11/ISO200, and that's assuming a brightly reflective subject. Macro effective aperture eats light like crazy and flashes are so much better at pumping out a lot of it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. StefanKruse

StefanKruse Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    @piggsy@piggsy, thanks

My idea was to use this: I-Torch Fish-Lite V24 LED Dive Light FL-772 B&H Photo Video

I already have the light but would need a bit of ingenuity to fix it with my camera hence I am hesitant to do this before I have a better assessment of the success rate.

The issue you pointout is basically the same underwater , but you can get away with using a videolight also for stills, but based on your expereience I am not to optimistic

6. GRID

GRID Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2011
    I sometimes use YONGNUO YN 900 LED light, and it helps quite alot, I like to use it in my hand and not attached to the camera, that way i can brighten up shadows and adjust the angle of the light.
    You will get smoother light and nicer looking highlights the bigger the lightsource is :) 

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.