Macro and videolight

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by StefanKruse, May 15, 2016.

1. StefanKruse

StefanKruse Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with using a videolight for macro shooting. The idea would be that with a constant bright light, I would be able to use the burst function (and when I get a camera that will do also to use it for focus bracketing). Which would would be great for critters that tend to move i.e. bees visiting a flower.

I realize video lights are not as powerful as a flash but I own a fairly powerful videolight that I use for UW. Thanks

2. Philip Scott

Philip Scott Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2016
    Valley Forge, PA, USA
    I use various light sources this way for macro. Whether it's a ring light that can be set to 'constant on', or it's a common 'worklight' from a supply store, I like it for using Focus Bracketing on my Olympus Pen-F. Using a reflector and holder works quite well on a bright day as well.

3. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Whether you're using the on camera flash or video LED in the attached flash macro is generally close & a diffusing sheet at the end of the lens would likely be beneficial to spread the light without harsh reflections.

EDIT: On the other hand, I am not sure of the power output of that LED you're referring to though.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  4. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

What's the video light you're looking at using?

I have a 4xAA ring light as part of my macro setup - it's mainly something I use for spotting rather than for shooting though. Even with 65 LEDs arranged all around the lens a few cm from the target you're still looking at about 1/6 to 1/10 speed exposures for 1:1 at F11/ISO200, and that's assuming a brightly reflective subject. Macro effective aperture eats light like crazy and flashes are so much better at pumping out a lot of it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. StefanKruse

StefanKruse Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    @piggsy@piggsy, thanks

My idea was to use this: I-Torch Fish-Lite V24 LED Dive Light FL-772 B&H Photo Video

I already have the light but would need a bit of ingenuity to fix it with my camera hence I am hesitant to do this before I have a better assessment of the success rate.

The issue you pointout is basically the same underwater , but you can get away with using a videolight also for stills, but based on your expereience I am not to optimistic

6. GRID

GRID Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2011
    I sometimes use YONGNUO YN 900 LED light, and it helps quite alot, I like to use it in my hand and not attached to the camera, that way i can brighten up shadows and adjust the angle of the light.
    You will get smoother light and nicer looking highlights the bigger the lightsource is :)

• Like Like x 1