MacOS RAW processing options?

I've done the upgrade to Catalina. I use Lightroom and have close to 65,000 images on an external thunderbolt drive. I'm experiencing no problems, at all. So far, Catalina has been just fine. I've only used Photoshop one time, but it worked fine. All my Adobe Creative Cloud apps are the latest version. I realize that there are reported issues, some are even from Adobe, but that seems to be more for legacy products that have 32 bit installers, etc.

As to the original question, I've been using Lightroom Classic for quite a while, and while I like what it does as far as working with RAW, I've noticed the last few upgrades seem to be memory hogs. I have 32GB on my i7 iMac, and I often find that it's chewing up 20GB of that RAM. I'm thinking about ON1, but haven't pulled the trigger.
The 32GB of RAM you have is, indeed, the sweet spot for Lightroom. Add'l RAM won't help LR but would be useful if you regularly run other apps concurrently. If you are not currently using an SSD for boot and apps, that will surely help. If you have your photo library on an SSD, as well, that will help even more.

I've played with On1, ExposureX4, and Luminar as possible alternatives to LR but I keep coming back to LR as being the most complete, professionally oriented, and convenient DAM/Editor (or Damn Editor, lol). I find Luminar to have nice tools but as an addition to LR; perhaps things will change once v4 arrives. Exposure's processing pipeline is fundamentally ass-backward from the get-go so I've abandoned it.

Real Name
Curt Schimmels
The 32GB of RAM you have is, indeed, the sweet spot for Lightroom. Add'l RAM won't help LR but would be useful if you regularly run other apps concurrently. If you are not currently using an SSD for boot and apps, that will surely help. If you have your photo library on an SSD, as well, that will help even more.
The RAM also helps with video processing. My iMac is from last year, and has an onboard SSD for the OS and applications. Using the Thunderbolt 3 connection to my external drive where my library is, I don't really even notice any speed issues. The main thing is the fact that it uses so much of the RAM. I'll take your word for it with respect to the alternatives. I may just lumber on with LR.

If you’re afraid of an auto instal or even an inadvertent instal of Catalina you can ignore the instal with this set of instructions. Involves a wee terminal mode code but it should work.

with regards to ON1, at one time I thought it was going to be my new editing app,,, it between some constant bugs, annual fees for updates, and mostly the large file size of edited files I stopped using it. Maybe it’s changed, but Ex5 will be hard to move away from now that I’ve discovered more of its features.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
it’s just that it’s such a major overhaul that is a big leap forward... the move within a 32 bit system was really only a tiny step forward. The leap from a 32 bit to 64 bit system means that many apps get left behind in the move to take that giant step into the potential of the future.
Ummmm, OS X has been exclusively a 64-bit operating system since Lion (10.7). It is the support of 32-bit apps that have been dropped, not a move from a 32 to 64 bit operating system.

Neil_jo

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Neil Johnson
In 2018 I bought a 2017 refurbished iMac and have had a paid Adobe photography subscription for about 5 years or so. I really tried to switch to something else and tried most of the major photo editing software free trials that were out there but couldn't find anything I liked as much as Adobe.

With Mojave OS I lost the ability to scan with my older HP laser printer. But as of the last update I can so not sure I want to try Catalina and see what happens.

Neil

In 2018 I bought a 2017 refurbished iMac and have had a paid Adobe photography subscription for about 5 years or so. I really tried to switch to something else and tried most of the major photo editing software free trials that were out there but couldn't find anything I liked as much as Adobe.

With Mojave OS I lost the ability to scan with my older HP laser printer. But as of the last update I can so not sure I want to try Catalina and see what happens.

Neil
"see what happens" isn't a logical reason to upgrade from something that works to something demonstrably sketchy.

Neil_jo

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Neil Johnson
"see what happens" isn't a logical reason to upgrade from something that works to something demonstrably sketchy

That's why I put ''Not sure I want to try Catalina " in front of "see what happens."

hoggdoc

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Wayne
Hold off on upgrading to Catalina ... some real issues with photos, including Apples pwn Photo app and Adobe apps as well...

Long time Mac user and I never upgrade immediately to the “newest and greatest “ system software. They already have several updates to Catalina but I generally wait 3 - 4 months or more before updating... lol... still on high Sierra here.

Catalina will cripple all of your 32 bit apps.... beware.

having said that, I have tried at least 7 of the Raw editors for Mac... I started a thread here somewhere comparing a few... and a few years ago decided to go with Exposure... I updated to Exposure X5 yesterday and it was smooth and seamless.

it offers full Raw processing, a tidy system for keeping your photos organized without embedding them into the app itself, and a plethora of photographic filters that emulate old style film emulsions... and more... much much more. Very easy to use with a complimentary series of video tutorials on their website to help you get started.

and for anything I can’t do in Exposure, I use the very powerful Affinity Photo. Really don’t need anything else besides these two imo.

oh yeah... Exposure, like some others, has a free, full working, 30 day trial... extendable if you need a little more time and ask them nicely!
I have to totally agree with the recommendation to hold off on updating. The new OS from Apple will make your previously running fine 32 bit apps fail to run. Personally I really hate when companies like Apple or Microsoft take someones machine and screw it up all for their idea of something better.

To me Catalina offers nothing appealing to me and I don't want to have to update software packages that I infrequently use, but still work for my needs just because APPLE has decided not to support 32 bit apps with their new OS. Sorry for the rant, but just went through hell with the latest update in my iPhone so I am a little upset with Apple right now.

Just as side note, when a company makes a choice to stop supporting apps previously supported wouldn't be nice if that company provided the end user with tool to check their system before installing the "new" OS and show you exactly what you have installed that won't work if you update. In that way you could make an informed decision on whether you will update.

hoggdoc

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Wayne
- Apple Mail losing data.
- Unreliable Bluetooth connectivity (have to connect via USB first).
- Entitlement file is 32-bit but Catalina prevents access. Apple says you need a new logic board. Users who have posted the simple fix get banned from the Apple Support Communities.
- iTunes is gone and the new apps replacing it have trouble dealing with libraries stored on external media. Thanks, Apple, for turning my Mac into an iPhone.

Is this Apple's "Vista" Yes. So was Lion; fixed with Mountain Lion. So was High Sierra; fixed with Mojave (after a number of "point" updates). Catalina is so very different than anything that came before that Apple still doesn't really know what they're doing. Yes; APFS is there but, in the name of "security", Apple has added a read-only system volume. Now all apps have to be redirected to the new System and Library locations through a 2-way "wormhole" in order to access needed system resources. And updates to anything in those two folders will fail (currently - we hope this will be fixed by 10.15.1) because the volume is read-only and the method to permit writing isn't actually implemented yet. Can you say "betaware"? I know you can.

If you can't articulate a reason why you need to upgrade to Catalina, then to do so doesn't make you a fool; it just confirms it. I've already told my clients to be afraid, turn off automatic updates, and make sure they have good backups in case Apple shoves Catalina into their Macs in spite of precautions.
Wow that' worse than I thought. Shame on APPLE. Problem is I'm totally invested in the APPLE platform and would never think of returning to Microsoft, ever!

I have to totally agree with the recommendation to hold off on updating. The new OS from Apple will make your previously running fine 32 bit apps fail to run. Personally I really hate when companies like Apple or Microsoft take someones machine and screw it up all for their idea of something better.

To me Catalina offers nothing appealing to me and I don't want to have to update software packages that I infrequently use, but still work for my needs just because APPLE has decided not to support 32 bit apps with their new OS. Sorry for the rant, but just went through hell with the latest update in my iPhone so I am a little upset with Apple right now.

Just as side note, when a company makes a choice to stop supporting apps previously supported wouldn't be nice if that company provided the end user with tool to check their system before installing the "new" OS and show you exactly what you have installed that won't work if you update. In that way you could make an informed decision on whether you will update.
Go64 is a free app that will do exactly what you wish.

If you own a Mac and are not paying attention to the posts at macintouch.com, then you are flying blind. And if (when) you do find Macintouch helpful, it's highly recommended that you subscribe for some $$ in order to provide support for Ric Ford (the site's owner) who has been doing this since 1985.

Gillymaru

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Honestly Catalina isn’t as bad as what some make it out to be. Unless you are running old 32 bit apps that are critical to you then it is worth upgrading. You can still up grade and run those apps inside a virtual machine using something like VM fusion or you could even clone your existing drive into an external drive and boot into them that way.
The sky hasn’t fallen with this update and while it may be not perfect yet it is still the way forward.
if you are happy running an old OS then just stick with it for now if you wish until a few of the bugs get sorted.
There are many features Catalina brings that are positive and don’t forget every new Mac you buy from this time forward will be running it.

mcasan

Mu-43 All-Pro
No problem running Catalina with Photo Raw 2020 beta or released versions. Also no problem with Topaz Studio 2 from running Catalina.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have been using Mac for decades and I do not recall any OS update ever where everyone declared it terrible, don't update, it will stop the world, etc. So... carry on. :whistling:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom