Machine Vision lens?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by DeeJayK, Apr 10, 2012.

1. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I recently came across a "Machine Vision 135mm f/1.3" lens which included a :43: adapter for sale. I'm not really sure what this is or what the quality would be. I'm also not really sure what I'd use if for either as I've got the Oly 40-150mm and as yet I haven't found myself pining for a larger aperture on the long end, but my GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) won't allow me to pass up a bargain.

Does anyone know anything about this lens and/or manufacturer?

2. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    It's probably a c mount lens, might be for security cameras or some other industrial application. It might not cover the entire image circle. C mount to m43 converters are pretty cheap.

The value for c mount lenses are all over the place. Some are as cheap as 5 bucks, while others sell for thousands.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    So "Machine Vision" may refer to the application rather than the manufacturer?

4. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Machine vision is a manufacturing inspection process, not a brand.
    Machine vision - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Bonus points if you can identify the language on the wall in that photo. Here's an example of Pentax's machine vision lenses:
    https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...NWYvYO&sig=AHIEtbThQcvvYTtN8Yb2LYiMC5WCbvdJGg
    And Schneider:
    Schneider Optics
    Machine Vision Lens Products and Imaging Lenses | Edmund Optics

Chances are that the lens is just C-mount. Should work fine on your camera, but I wouldn't expect any impressive performance. Industrial lenses don't work incredibly well for general photography, as they were designed to be used with a specific image, specific magnification, limited color range, infrared, etc. Especially considering that another m4/3 user already discovered and tested the lens, and decided that it wasn't worth keeping. I'd say to email him and ask for some examples.

Look at this:
    MACHINE VISION 75mm F1.3 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The Ultra-micro-Nikkor was Nikon's industrial lens lineup. As you can see, they don't recommend it for general photography:
    http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/RF-Nikkor/Micro_RF/index2.htm
    RED BOOK NIKKOR AID INTERNATIONAL-ENGLISH

• Like Like x 1
  5. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    I think so, it's like if a lens said Macro on it. The manufacturer wouldn't be Macro.

6. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Thanks for the thorough explanation and links. I think I'll pass on this one as I don't really have a need and the output I saw didn't blow me away.

7. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    A lot of these lenses were designed for close ups only, and won't focus to anything more than a few inches away without cutting into the mount.

8. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Klingon? No, I think it is a very stylized Hebrew.

9. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Haha, yeah, it's Hebrew. Just says "RDT," which if you look at the logo above, is the company name. Apparently RDT Equipment is a large testing company.