Macbook Pro with Retina Display

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Ig7, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 24, 2011
    I have an old Macbook Pro with the oldfashioned type screen that I use to process my photos and I calibrate periodically. I am planning to purchase a new MBP that has a retina display and I was wondering how does that affect image processing considering almost every image will look brighter and sharper with Retina display. Any opinions or suggestions?

2. Nathanael

Nathanael Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2015
    I have a 15" MBP Retina and it works great. But I guess I don't have much frame of reference to compare, as its the computer I've learned how to process on..

3. Ig7

Aug 24, 2011
    Good to know, thank you

4. AG_Alex2097

AG_Alex2097 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2015
    Alex S.
    Both will do fine for processing, don't worry, they won't look very different (MBP Penryn, MBP Retina & Cinema Display (30") owner)

The retina does have just a little more pop though ;) (unfortunately they are all glossy :/)

5. Ig7

Aug 24, 2011
    Thanks for sharing. I think I might have to print some images out and compare screen to print. Do you calibrate your Retina displays?

6. AG_Alex2097

AG_Alex2097 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2015
    Alex S.
    Not my laptops, the retina's color reproduction is quite good, however, i often work with dim screens to save my eyes, and then you do get a bit of a color shift, but if i'm editing or wanting to check the final edit, i turn up the brightness to evaluate, so it's fine ;)
    I have calibrated my 2 Cinema Displays however, as they differed from one another (due to an age/ run-time difference)

7. Ig7

Aug 24, 2011
    Interesting idea, will keep it in mind
    Thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.