1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Macbook Pro with Retina Display

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Ig7, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    I have an old Macbook Pro with the oldfashioned type screen that I use to process my photos and I calibrate periodically. I am planning to purchase a new MBP that has a retina display and I was wondering how does that affect image processing considering almost every image will look brighter and sharper with Retina display. Any opinions or suggestions?

2. Nathanael

Nathanael Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2015
    I have a 15" MBP Retina and it works great. But I guess I don't have much frame of reference to compare, as its the computer I've learned how to process on..

3. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    Good to know, thank you

4. AG_Alex2097

AG_Alex2097 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2015
    Alex S.
    Both will do fine for processing, don't worry, they won't look very different (MBP Penryn, MBP Retina & Cinema Display (30") owner)

The retina does have just a little more pop though ;) (unfortunately they are all glossy :/)

5. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    Thanks for sharing. I think I might have to print some images out and compare screen to print. Do you calibrate your Retina displays?

6. AG_Alex2097

AG_Alex2097 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2015
    Alex S.
    Not my laptops, the retina's color reproduction is quite good, however, i often work with dim screens to save my eyes, and then you do get a bit of a color shift, but if i'm editing or wanting to check the final edit, i turn up the brightness to evaluate, so it's fine ;)
    I have calibrated my 2 Cinema Displays however, as they differed from one another (due to an age/ run-time difference)

7. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    Interesting idea, will keep it in mind
    Thanks