1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Mac -Windows - Hardware- Poll

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alanroseman, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Since i started the software poll I've noticed some interesting stats.
    Of course one of the applications is Mac only, Aperture. While Lightroom and Photoshop (among others) run on both platforms.

Photoshop seems to be a crossover application, as it well should since it's where most of us older (seasoned, crabby) folks started with image editing.

Looking at the thread started by iconindustries (sorry Brady) I thought this one would be fun...and illuminating.

So, a poll question...

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    The poll didn't show up.

3. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    I now run various flavors of Unix, but as a matter of fact I also used to run CP/M... and still have a computer that can run native CP/M-68K in my little museum...

Oh, how I miss those simple days... boot under 2 seconds, compilation runs almost instant (k&r C rules !).

Cheers,

4. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    It shows up on a Mac....

• Like Like x 2
  5. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    It shows up now on a pc running Linux (Fedora 13), but it didn't earlier, I think a little alchemy has been practised behind the scenes :biggrin:

Barrie

• Like Like x 1
  6. nursenicole

nursenicole Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2011
    boston
    shows up on this mac, too :wink:

i got my first mac (a 13"macbook) last year, and i am definitely NOT looking back. i love this thing. never thought i'd say that...and i installed more RAM about an hour ago, so i'm even more pleased with it now. Aperture 3 runs like a dream with 4gb ram instead of 2!

7. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    LOL...LOL....still LOL..... wait, nope...still LOL

8. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Mauve,

You crack me up! When I did this poll I truly half expected you to come up with something like CPM...hey at least you're off the IBM punch cards...

Cheers, Alan

9. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

Not an Apple-hater, but I've never been a fan of Macs either.

Win7 x64 on both mine and my wife's laptops. Ubuntu on my backup laptop. iOS on my mobile phone. dd-wrt on my router. :wink:

Did I give you enough information Alan? :smile:

10. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Not really that far off (and, before you ask, yes, I still can read some 8" floppies) :

<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td><a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/VctYJjvbR37Ou866UG0jLQ?feat=embedwebsite"> punchcard. "603" width="800" /></a></td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">De <a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/manuel.viet0/Test?feat=embedwebsite">test</a></td></tr></table>

(for the younger part of the audience, this is worth 80 characters... about one line in a printed book).

• Like Like x 3
  11. mach330

mach330 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2011
    The OC
    i'm long time pc user. at work i still use pc. i've converted to mac 3 years ago. i wish my work had a mac. i do hate iphones though. lol

got the iMac at home and bring my mba (my fav toy so far...but i think my e-pl2 will be my fav soon as I can't stop thinking about taking another pix) to and from work to do my personal stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Mauve,

I can't believe you pulled out a card... too good!

That's where I started too, Step Switch Office... with repeaters, self analyzed to a drop out card... too cool.

Do you have an abacus instead of a calculator? :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  13. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Well, to tell the truth, I never really used cards myself; I keep a little deck someone gave me just for the fun. I've always been interested in computing since I was a kid, and used to drop by my father's office after school and pester the programmer there until he let me load a pack disk and show me 'things'. I learned a lot there. I never studied computing proper, but I believe I'm a competent hacker and know my way in C, C++, SQL and used to be quite fluent in x86 assembly too.

As of the abacus, you know, I'm a corporate lawyer by trade, so any form of calculator would impede on my skills to cook numbers the way I'm paid to make them look like :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  14. iliakoltsov

iliakoltsov Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Paris
    Actually, Mauve you are one of the priceless people , for an IT companies as you know assembly and you have knowledge of ancient things like Cobol. The main problem is that new IT engineer DO NOT study that at school or briefly as it seems archaic, but all the big structures ( I worked in banks ) are still mainly based on cobol there is no people to understand the system, if the guys that wrote it retire the thing stops. Then it is true you would earn less than being a lawyer.

And i suppose it is like taking pictures , you can study the theory nothing will replace your experience.

At the moment i am running Opensuse 11.4

• Like Like x 1
  15. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I wonder if anyone else got a mac, but went back to windows. I think there's maybe 3 of us out there.

16. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Well, I'm going to date myself, but I've been an Apple-holic since 1983.:alcoholic:

Back then I had an Apple Plus with a monochrome green monitor. I worked for the local Apple dealer when the original Macintosh was introduced in 1984. My first Mac was a Macintosh Plus that I bought in 1985. Today I have a 24" iMac, 17" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook, an iPad, several iPods, Apple TV and an iPhone. They all work beautifully together on a wireless network, which automatically backs up hard drives, synchronizes files, bookmarks, contacts, calendars, etc... :dance4:

I have to use Windoze machines at work and between the viruses, expensive "upgrades", driver problems, network set-up problems, etc, etc, etc,... it doesn't take me long to figure out what I prefer :smile:

P.S. I even remember using a keypunch machine to programming with those punch cards that Mauve has. It brings back memories about the time in high school when I was carrying everyone's keypunched programming assignments from the classroom to the office for pick up.... and tripped on the steps... Needless to say, I wasn't very popular after that :rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    What happened to the Sinclair 1000 with the cool cassette tape drive? And I learnt image processing on a Vax mainframe that had no graphic ability whatsoever--the professor took our programs to a secret lab, ran the program, and then told us if it worked or not. Still to this day I have no idea what the result of the program looked like. I still miss daisywheel printers.

Now where is that ticker tape...

• Like Like x 2
  18. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Walt & Hikari

Walt - The longest post I've ever seen for you!
    You are a Mac guy through and through! I'm proud of you.

Hikari - Sinclair? Where's your TRS-80, fondly referred to in its day as the "trash 80". I had an Atari 400, prior to my Apple II, then IIc- still have the IIc, and the tiny green monitor that hulked over it like ET.

I would have liked to answer my own poll as - Mac and never looked back. Unfortunately I run Windoze XP for the sole purpose of Nortel programming, which until the merger with Avaya, required Active X controls, which only runs on Internet EXPLODER! (Thankfully they're moving toward a ****script for BCM programming). So, I keep Parallels on a MacBook Pro, just for that.. I never use it for any other purpose, but I had to answer honestly.

(Hey what gives, you can't type the word J*A*V*A it just turns itself into asterisks, try it in a response)

I still have several all Mac businesses that use "QB Pro -Premier- Mfg & Wholesale edition", which isn't supported in the Mac issue of QB Pro. So for those folks I keep Parallels operational, though I'd be interested to here some talk about VM Ware.

But not for that, I've been all Mac all the time, since 1984. Even now from where I sit I can see my Mac SE peeking out from a shelf...

Viruses, Malware, Spyware, email letter bombs... we just don't care...:2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Mac for life!
    1st computer was the last gen eMac. Still "functional". Never have had any issues of any type with it. 2nd computer is the 1st gen MacBook. Couple glitches both easily corrected with help from Apple Support and Apple users forum.
    Previous employer system was Windows. Regular issues. Kept the IT department busy.

20. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    A brief history of my personal computing

Radio Shack TRS-80 with audio cassette storage, 4K RAM
    Apple ][e with 5.25 floppies, built my own Grappler printer card with the help of my techie neighbor
    Mac Plus and various 68030 and 68040 Macs at work
    IBM 386 running MS-DOS, 786K RAM creating pre-Internet digital marketing
    Toshiba Portege (Windows for Workgroups)
    Micron Pentium 90 (dual CPU, Windows 95)
    Motorola Star (Mac OS 7.2?)
    IBM Thinkpad 600 (Windows 95)
    Dell Precision (Windows NT)
    iMac USB 2 (the one that looked like a lamp)
    Macbook Pro (Leopard, Core 2 Duo)
    iMac (Snow Leopard, Core 2 Duo)
    HP Mini Note (Win XP)