1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Mac users - new Photoshop alternative - free beta available

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by WendyK, Feb 9, 2015.

1. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    I saw an article today about a new Photoshop alternative for Mac users that is currently free in beta form. You just need to sign up with an email address and you get a download link. Once it launches it will be $50 in the App Store.

article link: http://petapixel.com/2015/02/09/affinity-photo-new-pro-photoshop-alternative-mac-users-get-free/
    Here is a link to sign up for the beta: https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/

The article linked above has a number of videos that preview the software. I just downloaded it and will update when I have had a chance to try it out for more than 2 minutes. I did try to open an Olympus RAW file and it didn't work, so I think this is meant more for photo editing than RAW processing, at least in the beta version.

• Like Like x 1
  2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I'm not a Mac user, but I will say that I am all for more competition and diversity on the marketplace. I wish all the best for a company that wants to compete.

If you don't mind, I'll also piggy back this info on your thread as well. There is a Google Chrome based offline editor that I've started using and really like called Polarr. They also have a web based version as well.

I worked over yesterday and it is pretty good. Supports all major RAW formats, it claims. Saw Olympus, Nikon, Canon in there for sure. Unknown about the Fuji X-Trans support.

http://www.polarr.co

• Like Like x 1
  3. finerflower

finerflower Amin Fangrrl

Dec 11, 2013
    New Jersey (South)
    Holly
    Thanks!

4. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Very interesting, thank you. I need to download and experiment - I have so many years of "muscle memory" with Lightroom that I am a little cautious about going down a new road. The Petapixel writeup looks promising.

5. maritan

maritan Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Nice. Thanks for the info. I'm interested in a Photoshop alternative. I'll have to give it a try soon.

6. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    Nice find! Thank you. will be trying this out tomorrow night after an upcoming shoot.

7. briloop

briloop Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Mount Juliet, TN
    I signed up twice. Never received the the download link.

8. plaatje

plaatje Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2012
    Looks prommessing, thanks for the hint . . .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.