1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Mac Specification

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BillN, Mar 14, 2010.

1. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    I know very little about Apple Macs

What is a good specification to use the machine for photography

I may be able to pick the following machine up used

24" Apple Mac with Snow Leopard 2.66ghz Intel Core 2 duo memory 4gb 1067mhz ddr3 Hard Drive 640 gb

It is 6 months old

and the selling price is about 60% of the price of the new 21.5" 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Machine

What do you think?

2. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    Specs....

Bill -

It really depends on the programs you will be running.

A really great place to start is Lloyd Chamber's guide:

http://macperformanceguide.com/

I have a full on Mac Pro setup....all beefed up and it can run anything I throw at it. But, I just built up a 2.66 MacMini for my son....added RAM and a SSD hard drive. He uses it for Lightroom and Final Cut Pro. He says it just ZIPS along.

So I would imagine for basic photo programs....iPhoto....Lightroom...Lightzone..., the iMac you mentioned should do just fine.

Read through Lloyd's guide however if you want to learn (and maybe more than you care to) about the fine-tuning of Mac hardware.

BTW....another guy who doesn't get enough attention is Ian Lyons. He has detailed screen by screen setup guides for Photoshop and Lightroom. Especially the hard to set up print dialog boxes.

http://www.computer-darkroom.com/home.htm

One last item.....if you ever decide to go with Lightroom (which I personally recommend)....spring the $40 for Michael Reichmann and Jeff Schewe's 7.5 hour video tutorial. I go back and back to it again and again.

http://store.luminous-landscape.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=203

Regards.....R

• Like Like x 1
  3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    That's a kickass computer for photography, Bill. If you're seeing that for 60% of a new 21.5" iMac, I think you should stop posting in this thread and snap it right up.

4. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    Bill....one last thought if this opportunity fails to develop....I have had really great luck with refurbs at the Apple store online. Same warranty as new. Usually free shipping.

Save a few $$ that you can turn around and spend on more GLASS!!!! :rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  5. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    OK just read part of the macperformnce guide... and believe the guy is on crack :)

"In the end, the 3.06GHz iMac system with 8GB memory and required backup drives cost more than a Mac Pro with a 24" screen — over $4000. And the cable mess of multiple external hard drives rather dimmed the appeal of the all-in-one form factor"

still if you make your money on 'consultancy' then you you are going to reccommend the most expensive config available and then tart it up with extras

Bill ...

if you can get the 2.66 at the price you suggest ... go for it... stunning bang for the buck ...it will serve you well. Pick up an external terabyte firewire drive for 100 bucks , and you are good for back up

K

• Like Like x 4
  6. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Looks like a great buy. It will run most editing applications and libraries very well. You can also set it up with a second monitor if you want more screen space.

As someone else noted, also have a peak at the Apple refurb store online. My last 4 Macs have been from this source, and even for work, where we run more than 20 Macs we have had great success with the store.

• Like Like x 1
  7. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    just scanned more bits of the macperformance site mentioned above... while there is some solid information in there... it seems to be written in a way to make everything sound more scary than it is and hence make people buy his consultancy services.

I worked for apple for last 9 years and was responsible for setting up Apple machines to be used at apple exhibitions and public demos showing off apple apps at their very best and didn't have to worry about many of the issues this site highlights

K

8. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Thank you Kevin and Amin! I just spent about an hour the other day talking to my Mac guy (doesn't work for Apple) about what I could do with my current '06 MacBook Pro....and the answer was - get ready to upgrade to a new one or something along the lines that you're looking at Bill - with Kevin's terabyte drive suggestion.

9. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    This site is a bad influence - in January i was happy with my PC and Nikon D300 - since then I have bought a G1 plus 14 42 plus 20mm and an EP-1 plus 17mm plus 14 45 - plus three or 4 adapters and an external drive plus other stuff that I cannot remember about

Now - I just said to my wife - "do you mind if I buy another computer"

No comment

but thanks to all - just waiting for the seller to come back to me with a couple of answers to my queries

10. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Bill,
    I agree with Kevin.
    Check the serial #, it may still have Apple Care on it.
    Shooter

• Like Like x 1
  11. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Checked the serial # - I now await the mail man

still under warranty

Is the AppleCare Protection Plan worth it at about US$ 170 - an extra 2 years after the end of the first year

12. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Yes, Apple Care is worth it.

13. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    Kevin......you're absolutely right.....create a degree of uncertainty....sell a solution.

Still.....good info there, esp. if you're a tweaker.

R

14. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I always get AppleCare on laptops, never on desktops. However, If I were buying used, I'd probably get AppleCare for some peace of mind.

15. hohoho

hohoho Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2010
    Tokyo
    Use it as a doorstop?

Oh no, wait, what we bought here were "PowerBooks". Underwhelming. After that experience, I'll be happy with Mac OS X -- but on a Hackintosh.

16. Alan Wolf

Alan Wolf Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    That's a great machine

My wife has the exact same model, and I use it for photo editing at home. (When I can get my hands on it...) The screen is seriously gorgeous, and I can't tell any real speed difference with Photoshop between it and my Mac Pro at work, until files get crazy big. Running vmware fusion and Windows, it beats my HP 4 CPU workstation running SolidWorks, which I was not expecting either.

17. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Sorry got to the party late Bill.. That is a fantastic deal... I'm waiting on my 27" as we speak!!!!

18. AlanT

AlanT Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2010
    Perth, Scotland
    Hi Bill, I have that exact model - I bought it new in September last year and I use Adobe Lightroom 2.6 on it. Processing images from my GF1 is no problem at all (much much faster than the 5 year old PC I was using) and the big screen is wonderful.

I say buy it! You won't be disappointed.

19. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Thanks Alan - hopefully it's on its way, paid my money and waiting - spent a few hours watching the videos on Utube, (there are some funny people on there!),- VMware Fusion seem a must for me as a PC user

20. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

hi res antiglare or hi res glossy screen

I'm about to order a new MacBook Pro to replace my older one which will not leave home but be used by my husband.

I have one question. I have always gotten the High resolution antiglare screen but whenever I see the high resolution glossy one I always think how beautiful it looks! I sometimes wonder if I have been overly snooty looking askance at them thinking that they wouldn't give me a true view of things...as though I am a purest.

Those of you who actually use Macs, which do you use and did you choose it solely because of your interest in photography? Inquiring minds want to know.:smile: