Mac problems with my G2

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Judasmac, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Judasmac

Judasmac Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 31, 2011
    I tried my G2 to make a movie for the first time today and all went well until it came time to load it onto my computer. I first tried iMovie, which downloaded until the very end when it reported an "error" -- no further explanation. Same thing each time I try. THen I tried iPhoto, which simply quits "unexpectedly." The movie is AVCHD. I know only enough about video standards to know that there really isn't a standard and conversions from one to another are a pain. Is that what I'm running up against? Mac isn't AVCHD friendly?

Running Lion on a Macbook Air.

2. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    Cant comment about lion, but no probs on snow leopard. on Super spec imac.
    How long is the clip ?
    Perhaps laptop not the best choice for video editing ?
    What is your spec ?

3. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    What version of iMovie?

4. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I think there's a bit of confusion. Is the movie not downloading to your computer, or is it not playing? If it's not downloading to your computer, then use Finder to manually drag the movie to your desktop. Once there, try playing it. A Macbook is fine for playing and editing AVCHD; it won't zoom along, but any errors are not because of lack of performance. I can guarantee that iMovie '08 or newer, on a Core 2 Duo or newer Macbook works without issue. I think the OP is getting an error upon downloading from the card, which means that the movie is corrupted or something is wrong with the SD card or card reader.

5. VasManI

VasManI Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2011
    What is the the file size of the MTS file you are trying to play?

6. DanGuy48

DanGuy48 Mu-43 Regular

AVCHD

Not sure what Mac you have but I'm pretty sure you have to have an Intel based Mac to be compatible with AVCHD.

Edit: oops, missed last line of your post.

7. Curious, have tried dragging the file the the desktop and opened from there? Have you run Disk Utilities to repair permission and then Verify your HD. IF the HD requires repair that must be done via a boot from an OS X install Disk then run Disk Utility on the DVD.

8. bryan

bryan Mu-43 Regular

Feb 27, 2012
    AVCHD video is currently poorly supported in most OS X apps, and is generally easier to manage when rewrapped (converted) to QuickTime format.

You can do this using Media Converter, a free and open source app available here.

Download and install Media Converter, and then download and open the "Re-wrap AVCHD for Quicktime - uncompressed Audio" preset from the presets page.

Start Media Converter, select "Re-wrap AVCHD" in the Convert To pull-down, and drag and drop the entire PRIVATE/AVCHD folder from your G2's memory card onto the Media Converter window. Media Converter will re-wrap your videos into MOV files, which should be much more easily opened with iMovie, Final Cut, etc.

Fortunately, this is a fairly quick process, as no transcoding is required.

HTH

9. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

What does the error message say?

The G2 uses the AVCHD lite not the full AVCHD and that may be where the trouble lies. It could also be what settings were used such as aspect ratio or 25fps verses 30fps.

You may have to use a convertor app as bryan suggested.

10. bryan

bryan Mu-43 Regular

Feb 27, 2012
    I should also mention that you can sidestep the AVCHD compatibility issues by recording in Motion JPEG format instead. You can set this option in "Rec Mode" under the DMC-G2's Motion Picture menu, or by selecting HD, WVGA, VGA, or QVGA in the Motion Picture section of Q.Menu.

Since the G2 is limited to 720P, the only downside to Motion JPEG is that the video files will be larger (in kilobytes). However, video quality will be higher than AVCHD, and the files are generally easier to open and edit.

Regardless of which format you choose, try transferring your videos using a SD card reader, rather than the camera-USB cable.

11. speedandstyle

Yes , you should NEVER use the camera to transfer , video or stills. Use a reader!

12. Judasmac

Judasmac Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 31, 2011
    Thanks for all the responses. I ended up going to another computer -- a Mac Mini -- and all went well, but I'd still like to use my MB Air for convenience sake.

BTW: WHy should I not use the USB out of the camera? Is it unreliable? I realize that I have a SD reader in the Air! I never thought about it till now.

13. speedandstyle

There are multiple reasons. First is that it is extra, unnecessary wear and tear on your camera. Electronics don't last forever , best to use the camera for taking pictures and not moving files. Second, the micro usb plug is notoriously fragile , so is the micro firewire. Third, a card reader allows you the freedom from your camera and to load cards from other cameras. Fourth, card readers are faster and yes more reliable than your camera. Fifth reason is they run off the computer's power via USB whereas the camera is running of the it's battery and if that battery fails during transfer the files can be corrupted. Lastly some computers don't like some cameras or vise versa but I have never seen a computer and reader have that problem.

14. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    There's no such thing as wear and tear on electrical devices; wear only occurs on mechanical devices. The only thing it wears is battery life. The biggest reason to use a card reader is because the computer simply reads the card as another drive, instead of having to go through communication with the camera. That adds yet another link to the transfer chain (SD card ->camera -> USB cable ->computer ->program) that can give you a tendency to mess up. Likely, the OP was using some combination of the above that wasn't communicating correctly, which is a freak occurrence. Overall, if it's working correctly, then there's no reason to not use the camera with a cable. I do it all the time with my Nikon, as do countless other photographers without issue (I'd do it with my Panasonic, but the G2 uses a stupid proprietary connector instead of USB at both ends). The big thing to note is that you should use your camera to format your card after every transfer session, instead of deleting files in the computer or using a program on your computer to format. This will reduce future headaches.

15. speedandstyle

#1 -Electronics do not wear out in the same way as mechanical parts but they do wear out. There is probably a better term for it but I don't know what else to call it. I have had ever so many electronic devices that had NO moving parts in them stop working or at least working correctly and thus they are "worn out". By your logic digital camera should never malfunction{other than the shutter since it is mechanical}.

#2 -Proprietary cables , yet another reason to use a card reader!

#3 -You are correct there , the camera is where you should delete the files off the card and the ONLY place you should format a card.