1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Mac OS 10.10.3 with Photos release

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by mcasan, Apr 8, 2015.

1. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Several of the Mac sites are saying Apple will officially release OS 10.10.3 with the Photos app late today.

IMHO as a beta user my $0.02 is that Photo is OK as a replacement for iPhoto. It is a joke as a replacement for Aperture. At least the Aperture users have had time to plan their migration to Lightroom, Capture One Pro, or other DAM and editing apps.

The latest rumor I saw on the LR 6 release date is April 21. But LR 6 release has been rumored for March and April. It seems to be a moving target.
    :boohoo:

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    Thanks! Photos will not replace Lightroom for me, but I will still use Photos for some purposes. I do tend to put my best photos in iPhoto so that they are in my iCloud photostream for ease of sharing.

3. Andym72

Andym72 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 4, 2013
    Reading, UK
    Why do Apple damn well insist on using .photoslibrary files? Why can't they just give us a tool that you point at a top level folder, like Pictures for example, and just get it to monitor and catalog every image below that folder level, so if I add images under Pictures from an SD card, their Photo tool will just pick up that there's something new and add them to the catalog. I mean, Mac OS has a journaled file system, so something like that should be easy.

4. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    You might want to look elsewhere for a flexible DAM and editing program. Photos ain't it.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Just installed the update and did a quick couple of minutes only in Photos. It was quick because I didn't find much to play with. It only seemed to provide a few adjustments and nothing like the scope or flexibility of Aperture or Lightroom. I don't think anyone using Aperture or Lightroom is going to be satisfied. Everything will depend on what plug-ins become available for those people, and I think it would take a lot of plug in capability to get them to swap.

I think in terms of ease of working with an image that it may be an attractive option for anyone happy with the old iPhoto but there's not much scope for real creativity in processing. It seems very basic at this stage. Of course there may be stuff I couldn't find but I did a quick run through the menus and the edit "tools" that were displayed.

Aperture was an extremely good program when I started using it but Apple stopped developing it and Lightroom pulled ahead by a big margin in my view. This is another example of Apple allowing an extremely good application to wither and die. It's something I've seen a few times now with applications I really liked and used a lot. I was happy to swap to Lightroom a couple of years ago and this is not going to bring me back to an Apple application.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    I think it has much to do with focus on mobile platforms and de-emphasis of the desktop. Aperture in the end wasn't worth continuing. Hopefully the new program will evolve, but it doesn't look like a LR replacement is anywhere in sight.

7. TRCPhoto

TRCPhoto Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2014
    Princeton, NJ
    I'm still using the latest version of Aperture and probably will till the day it stops working with whatever setup I have at the time. I understand Adobe is, or has, created a migration tool for Aperture users but as of yet it only imports the libraries but none of the actual edits so I figure "what's the point?"

How do you like RAW processing and other results in LR for Olympus files? I think I've read about issues in other threads...

8. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    1- You will never be able to import the edits when moving from one RAW processor to another from a different company because they don't offer exactly the same editing functions and even when they do offer a common function like exposure, the editing parameters may not be identical. Since each program has it's own "editing engine" and it's own proprietary database for recording the edit data, one program is basically incapable of reading another's edit data. The one exception, of course, is applications from the same company so Lightroom and Adobe Camera RAW can each read the other's data because they use the same engine. If you move from one RAW processing application to another from a different company you're going to have to either keep the old application for all of your old work and use the new application for new work, or redo your editing for your old work in the new application. I imported my Aperture library of RAW files into Lightroom and slowly re-edited the best of my old work over time while using Lightroom for all my new work.

2- I like Lightroom and I've come to prefer it to Aperture over time. I swapped because Adobe introduced a couple of features in Lightroom that I wanted and Apple was doing nothing similar with Aperture. There's a different set of controls, very different in some ways, but also more flexible in some ways which surprised me since Apple is usually very good with interface things. If you want to get the most out of Aperture or Lightroom you have to face a solid learning curve but the biggest problem with swapping in some ways is not learning a new application but learning not to try to do some things the way you used to do them. Unlearning old habits in order to form new ones is harder than simply acquiring a new habit when you don't have an old one to unlearn. I wouldn't want to go back to Aperture now but I suspect that if I had stayed with Aperture I would have eventually reached a similar level of skill with it to what I now have with Lightroom. I do know that there are things I can now do in Lightroom that I was definitely not capable of doing in Aperture at the time I swapped, and there's also a few features in Lightroom that Aperture just doesn't have which I find useful. That's the processing side. I think Aperture has a better file management interface.

So, given the fact that any time you swap from one RAW processing application to another you're going to have to face the issue of non-portability of your editing data and have to unlearn some things and learn a lot of new things, swapping is not a decision that should be taken lightly. I don't think Photos will ever be capable of matching either Aperture or Lightroom and eventually Apple will introduce a new version of the OS and will not maintain compatibility with Aperture so you will eventually have to swap. I wouldn't leave it to the absolute last minute when Aperture is no longer supported before I made the swap if I were you, but I also wouldn't rush to make it. If I were you I'd take a look at the various options around and decide which one I preferred, something I didn't do, but there are options like Capture One, DXO, and Iridient Developer as well as Lightroom and I think they all have something to offer. Sooner or later, however, everyone using Aperture is going to have to swap to something else simply because at some time the Mac OS is no longer going to support Aperture. That's if the ongoing introduction of new features by those other programs doesn't throw up something new in the feature line that you'd really like to have before support for Aperture ends.

9. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    I didn't care for the default Adobe profile for processing the RAW images from my E-M10 but I bought the inexpensive Huelight color profiles for the E-M10 and am very happy with those.

10. rsovitzky

rsovitzky Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2014
    Elm Grove WI
    I am having no issues with LR5 with my EM1.

11. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Only my Mac I have 3 raw converters for my EM1. The one from Apple that works with Aperture, iPhoto, and Photos. The second one the one in Lightroom. The third one is DxO Optics Pro that is a plugin to Lightroom. So if you like LR and want a better raw converter for that really important image, get DxO Optics and use it as a plugin. When the editing is completed in DxO, a dng file will be returned to LR. So you can then compare who did the best job with the raw data....LR's convertor or DxO.

12. TRCPhoto

TRCPhoto Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2014
    Princeton, NJ
    So how does your workflow go with that? Do you import and catalog your images through LR, then when editing cherry pick images to run the DXO plug in with? Can you batch process those (or the entire set?) or do you have to do it one at a time?

13. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    I did the update earlier today. It basically looks like the Photo app that's on iOS8 in terms of editing. For the masses (non-photographers), it provides an easy and basic editing functions that the average person can use without being overwhelmed. It's clearly no substitute for Aperture and it's clearly not meant to compete with Lightroom, DxO, C1, etc...

I've been an Aperture user since the beginning as well as Lightroom from the start although I stopped upgrading Lightroom at v4. I prefer Aperture and even though Aperture still works fine, it's days are numbered so I upgraded Lightroom to the latest version earlier this week and imported everything over from Aperture.

14. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    First I cull my images while they are still on the card using the Browser in Perfect Photo Suite. With luck I get rid of 1/2 to 2/3 of the files. The keepers and then imported into using an import set of adjustments. The top level of images I will decide if it is worth sending to DxO for a seperate raw conversion or just work on the LR version. Much has to do with type of image, amount of noise...etc. The low light images with significant nose I will definitely take to DxO to do a better job than LR noise reduction.

I may do so additional edits in the LR Develop module. For finishing the image I will take it to Perfect Photo Suite as reeditable PSD and likely do some work in Perfect Effects. When I am finished the PSD is returned to LR. So in LR I could have the original raw, the edits made on top of the LR raw converter, maybe a DNG raw that returned by DxO, and the PSD returned by PPS.

PS: If I have a bunch of photos that need basically the same adjustments and filters applied, I can save presets in most of these editing programs. PPS lets you define a batch process using several different PPS modules like Layers, Effects, and Resize.

15. TRCPhoto

TRCPhoto Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2014
    Princeton, NJ
    Thanks for the peek behind the curtain. Out of curiosity what sort of subject matter do you generally shoot?

16. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    _6210533_DxO-Edit-Edit.

Wildlife and landscapes.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  17. TRCPhoto

TRCPhoto Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2014
    Princeton, NJ
    Gorgeous, I'll check out your profile to see if there is a link to your website. If not, post one here.

I do a lot of high volume events. Weddings, Mitzvahs, 5k runs, fundraisers. I just went digital in 2009 so I still shoot judiciously like I'm using film, but end of day we're still talking 100s if not a couple 1000 images. So that workflow would not be realistic. Here is one from a Make a Wish ping pong tournament hosted by Hunter Pence. (from my Canon days BTW)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  18. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Can Apple Photos make a good DAM and seamlessly link to Iridient for editing?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  19. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Has anyone tried using their plugins in "stand alone" mode with Photos? How tortuous was it?

20. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    P.S. I got a reply from Iridient to this question and the answer is NO. Apparently Photos is worse than Aperture or iPhoto in this regard. All you can do in Photos is 'Open in Finder' then open the file with your desired image software from Finder.

What in blazes were Apple thinking? That Photos is so good you will never need any other PP software?

• Agree Agree x 2