Mac opinion/help

Lucky this is the Late 2015 model which has the Retina screen and a Fusion drive that has, most likely, a 128GB SSD blade with the 2TB HDD, but it has Thunderbolt 2, and not 3 which is more compatabile with the newest USB-C devices. The Mid 2015 did not have a Retina display or a fusion drive, hence no SSD and you want to avoid the mid-2015 for this reason. The SSD makes the Mac a lot more responsive for startup and opening apps. But the HDD makes the iMac a lot noiser, run hotter and you can't believe the dust that accumulates inside. The iMac pulls air from thin slots at the bottom of the screen and out the back vent, but of course dust settles on the top of the vents and can clog them up pretty bad. My friends 2012 27" iMac come to find had about 1" of dust in the bottom and ran so hot it fried the HDD prematurely. Since you want to keep this iMac I would eventually replace the 2TB drive with a 2TB or larger SSD, I did this with 2 different 27" iMacs, it is not that a hard to do.

But as an alternative here is link to a new 2020 27" iMac with 6 core I5 processor, 8GB of memory (can be expanded very easily), a 4GB graphics card, a 256GB SSD blade and 4 USB 3 and 2 TB3/USB-C slots. It's only $1649 and for sure will run faster, quieter and cooler than the 2015 model and you get a 1 year warranty (more if you buy AppleCare). This is a perfect iMac for what you listed you want to do with it. If you have large users files for about a $100 you can get a 4 or 5 TB My Passport WD portable drive that runs pretty quick thru the USB ports and you don't have to worry about the heat and noise. I use these for my iMac, actually 2 sets of 2, set up as a 10TB RAID and 10TB BU RAID where my 7 TB of users files are stored.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1581592-REG/apple_mxwt2ll_a_27_imac_with_retina.html
I agree fully with SpecFoto, a new unit will last over 10 year, will run faster and cooler and includes a warranty.

Acraftman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The new Mac Silicone units using the M1 chip are very nice; the processor, neural engine, memory chips, graphics card and I/O controller are all on 1 chip. This makes them extremely fast, much faster than motherboards with separate components. And the users are finding out that 8GB of memory goes a lot farther than before, and may be enough for a lot of users. But still, I would order 16GB of memory, as you cannot upgrade anything on these units.

Going with say the 8 core CPU/GPU MacMini with the 512GB SSD and 16GB of memory is $1,099 at Apple (or B&H again to save paying tax). It comes with 2 TB3/USB-C ports, 2 USB3 ports and a HDM1-2.0 monitor port, so you can easily run 2 monitors if you like. To this you need a keyboard, mouse and 27" monitor. So for about the same as the new 27" iMac I linked earlier (assuming $500 for a keyboard, mouse and 27" LG, ViewSonic, Acer or Dell monitor) you can have the latest state of the art Mac. And it WILL be faster than the 27" iMac, as the M1 chips are already way beyond what the i7 Intel chips in the previous MacBook Pros and iMacs can test by a factor of 2 to 3 for most tests. Plus it is future proof for a longer amount of time. Definitely something to consider.
Thanks for posting this,I think this might be the best way for me to go.I googled some reviews and everyone seems to be impressed .

Real Name
Walter
Good point, how is the situation for powerPC based Macs these days?
Good question, but I figure that if you can't find PowerPC native software, you're SOL. While the M series Macs can run Intel software with the new Rosetta, I figure at some point that well is going to dry up. I used to run some old PowerPC software on my Intel iMac until one day I couldn't, because the newer OS X versions didn't have Rosetta anymore.

Real Name
Walter
Nothing wrong with your 2020 Intel Air, it will last for a long time. Just like nothing wrong with your 20MP sensor EM5 MKIII. If JIP was to release a new EM5 MkIV next year with a 24MP sensor would you turn in yours and buy new? I wouldn't. But your reasons seem meaningful, especially running the apps from IOS. I would put in a reacquisition at work to ask for an upgrade and have them pay for it. :whistling:

I am thinking of trading in my 2012 13" MBP for of of the new Airs, just don't like the idea of having only 2 USB-C slots, as 1 is needed for power and the other for hooking up to my data. Really a PITA Apple, why not 3 ports at least. Most likely will hold off for the next release with hopefully more ports
Yes, I know having more ports built-in is preferable, but Apple probably wouldn't do it with the Air. If you need more ports, your best bet is a MacBook Pro. Or, get a dock. Getting a dock with a SD card socket is a good addition.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Or, get a dock. Getting a dock with a SD card socket is a good addition.
And they are pretty cheap. You can get really expensive ones too of course, but for under $30 you can get a basic dock that plugs into the Thunderbolt port and gives you SD card reader slots, multiple USB 3 ports, an HDMI output to hook up to an external monitor, an Ethernet port (since many of the Apple laptops do not have this basic port anymore), and a pass through USB-C port to plug in your charger.

Note that a fair number of the hubs do not come with an Ethernet port so be sure to check if that is something you need. The other ports are all kind of standard across the various hubs but the Ethernet port is the one that you have to specifically check for.

SpecFoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim
Yes, I know having more ports built-in is preferable, but Apple probably wouldn't do it with the Air. If you need more ports, your best bet is a MacBook Pro. Or, get a dock. Getting a dock with a SD card socket is a good addition.
Uh not at this time it is. The new M1 13" MBP has the same limited 2 USB-C ports and the headphone jack just like the MBA.

My 2012 13" MPB by comparison has 2 USB3 ports, a Thunderbolt/Mini Display port, a firewire 800 port, a gigabit ethernet port, the wonderful MagSafe power port plus a SDXC card slot. Oh and a DVD superdrive, which I use every time I go to Thailand, as you can buy DVD movies on almost any street for a buck. Maybe the next M2 chip, or whatever it is called, will be available in a 13" MBP that has more ports, but of course Apple will charge $1,699 to start for that unit. Yes the dock is an option, but why should this be necessary? Apple can make a small MBP or MBA with more ports, they did it for years. I don't want to deal with a add on dock, the ports and convenience need to be built in. Remember the Apple slogan for years, It Just Works? This no longer applies, they no want you to buy a 3rd party add on device to make it work properly, why? Jonathon Ivy and his bare bones form over function ego is gone, Apple need to make their laptops easier to use for people who travel and need additional ports.

Last edited:

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Apple can make a small MBP or MBA with more ports, they did it for years. I don't want to deal with a add on dock, it should be built in.
Not as small, thin, as they are now. The thing is, an Apple knows it, is that most consumer laptop buyers use their computer as that, a laptop, and most never plug anything into them. This argument comes up every time Apple eliminates anything on their machines usually people stating this is the end of Apple and a big mistake, etc. Getting rid of the floppy, getting rid of the RS-232 port, getting rid of the optical drive, etc.

While you want these things including an optical drive, you are the shrinking minority for needing optical drives, FW ports, etc.

SpecFoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim
Not as small, thin, as they are now. The thing is, an Apple knows it, is that most consumer laptop buyers use their computer as that, a laptop, and most never plug anything into them. This argument comes up every time Apple eliminates anything on their machines usually people stating this is the end of Apple and a big mistake, etc. Getting rid of the floppy, getting rid of the RS-232 port, getting rid of the optical drive, etc.

While you want these things including an optical drive, you are the shrinking minority for needing optical drives, FW ports, etc.
I am not asking for a FW or optical drive, as those are almost dead technologies. I am just using it as an example of what Apple can do. And as far as smaller, the MBA from 3 or 4 years ago had an ethernet port, Magsafe connector, 2 USB and 1 TB port, an SD card slot and is almost identical in size as the ones today. Where is this version? I would buy it today and pay extra for the convenience, as both my Sony A7R3 and EM1.3 use SD cards and having the SD reader built-in means 1 less thing in the travel bag, just like now leaving the battery charger at home, as USB-C is so convenient for charging.

Last edited:

SpecFoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim
The market for ethernet and SD cards has declined substantially.
Says who? According to this report the SD market is continuing to grow and will reach $9 Billion USD per year next year. When I travel overseas almost every hotel has a ethernet port, Yes they want you to use their free wifi but it sucks and is not secure. I hook up to the wall, fire up my VPN and can securely do financial transactions from my laptop. Plus watch Netflix US programing :laugh:

https://www.persistencemarketresearch.com/market-research/secure-digital-memory-cards-market.asp

Says who? According to this report the SD market is continuing to grow and will reach $9 Billion USD per year next year. When I travel overseas almost every hotel has a ethernet port, Yes they want you to use their free wifi but it sucks and is not secure. I hook up to the wall, fire up my VPN and can securely do financial transactions from my laptop. Plus watch Netflix US programing :laugh:

https://www.persistencemarketresearch.com/market-research/secure-digital-memory-cards-market.asp
Tiny and used with laptops how much? For what purposes? The SD card consumer use peaked when P&S cameras peaked. I use them in technical mapping gear, but they are getting replaced by wi-fi and BT transfer and are increasingly the backup, not the transfer device. In the environment I work in, physical data transfer using SD cards is prone to far more errors than wireless transfer.

Secure financial transactions from an ethernet port in a hotel with lousy wi-fi is still esoteric enough use that having built-in capacity on the laptop is overkill. It's all going to be USB-C or TB eventually.

Acraftman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Okay, so I cancelled on the used Mac, thanks everyone for their help.I have decided to get the mac miniw/16 gb and 512 ssd storage as suggested by SpecFoto :thumbup:. I have a magic mouse still in the box and I don't think they stole my wireless keyboard so that leaves a monitor. It would be great if I could get something in the $300 range so if anybody has any recommendations for something they like and use I would appreciate any comments. This seems like the cats PJ"s but of course its $600 which would put me in at $1650 pre tax.I think the best thing is how compatible and convenient it would be especially with the sd card slot etc as mentioned at the end of the vid.

SpecFoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim
Okay, so I cancelled on the used Mac, thanks everyone for their help.I have decided to get the mac miniw/16 gb and 512 ssd storage as suggested by SpecFoto :thumbup:. I have a magic mouse still in the box and I don't think they stole my wireless keyboard so that leaves a monitor. It would be great if I could get something in the $300 range so if anybody has any recommendations for something they like and use I would appreciate any comments.
I love my 2019 27" iMac, which was the top I5 6-core they had, but if I was starting over today I would get the M1 MacMini 8-core. Almost everything that I have read by reviewers/users says this thing is very, very fast, dead quiet, and you can run 2 4K monitors if you like. Plus down the road you have eliminated the big issue of Intel not being supported, but that is at least 5 or 6 years away I believe. Sorry, but can't help with the monitors.

Acraftman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I love my 2019 27" iMac, which was the top I5 6-core they had, but if I was starting over today I would get the M1 MacMini 8-core. Almost everything that I have read by reviewers/users says this thing is very, very fast, dead quiet, and you can run 2 4K monitors if you like. Plus down the road you have eliminated the big issue of Intel not being supported, but that is at least 5 or 6 years away I believe. Sorry, but can't help with the monitors.
I did watch a few reviews and it seems that I would be happy just getting the 8gb the differences where negligible opposed to the 16bg. Now I just have to wait for a release date from B&H.

Gillymaru

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Get a new Mac mini and good display. I have the new m1 and it flies through all my Lightroom catalogues. Editing 4K video from my G9 is a joy, Apple just destroyed intel with these new chips. These are only the entry chips and in the next couple of years the real story will unfold as more powerful ones are released.
Buy the best monitor you can afford and just get the mini that best suits your remaining budget.

Get a new Mac mini and good display. I have the new m1 and it flies through all my Lightroom catalogues. Editing 4K video from my G9 is a joy, Apple just destroyed intel with these new chips. These are only the entry chips and in the next couple of years the real story will unfold as more powerful ones are released.
Buy the best monitor you can afford and just get the mini that best suits your remaining budget.
This performance benefit of the new silicon sounds interesting for people considering swiching from PCs.
Other than that, your assessment does not make a lot of sense.
Intel and Apple were never competitors for chips. Intel was supplying chips for Apple, and Apple were using them for their computers. No longer.*
If anything, AMD destroyed Intel, but I think it's really Intel that destroyed Intel by mismanagement and resting on their laurels far too long.
Intel and Apple were not competitors and they won't be competitors in the future, as the only thing Apple's chips will ever power are Apple devices.

*They probably figured that they can increase their margins further and customize the silicon for their own needs if they control chip production. That way, they can also lock out people from using their own hardware (Hackintosh) in the future, as well as potentially lock in customers who can no longer boot Windows or Linux on their hardware because the new Apple chips might not be compatible.

Gillymaru

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Okay, so I cancelled on the used Mac, thanks everyone for their help.I have decided to get the mac miniw/16 gb and 512 ssd storage as suggested by SpecFoto :thumbup:. I have a magic mouse still in the box and I don't think they stole my wireless keyboard so that leaves a monitor. It would be great if I could get something in the $300 range so if anybody has any recommendations for something they like and use I would appreciate any comments. This seems like the cats PJ"s but of course its $600 which would put me in at $1650 pre tax.I think the best thing is how compatible and convenient it would be especially with the sd card slot etc as mentioned at the end of the vid.
I would try to get the best monitor possible it will be worth it in the long term benq are very good value
This is another model I think older but still great, you might find it somewhere cheaper
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...pt_27_photographer_monitor_with.html/overview

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom