1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Mac Oly Master 2 Question--Firmware Update Problem

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Jon F, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Jon F

Jon F Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 19, 2010
    Greetings from Minnesota!
    I was hoping to have my first post with an image rather than a query, but might have to wait on that a bit.

I just purchased an EPL1. Since this comes with PC software only, I downloaded Olympus Master 2 for my Mac. It seems to be working fine, and I can transfer images and edit the RAW files.

However, when I try to check for firmware updates, I get the message "unable to detect the camera."

When I plugged in the USB, I did select the "storage" option and push. I was then able to transfer images, so it is connected. Just can't find the darn thing.

Any suggestions would be very welcome

2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Jon F, welcome to mu43.com and congrats on your new camera, too!

Although I can't offer any immediate help on this issue, I am sure that help will come. It may take a bit of time, but by tomorrow morning (in the USA) I am sure you'll get some worthwhile replies.

Now, I'm going to skip over to your second thread.:wink:

3. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi Jon, I don't have a Mac, but I have heard of the problem... maybe a clash with your system settings or firewall?

Do you have security settings you can try to adjust?

Sorry I can't be more help at the moment.

Cheers

Brian

4. BBW

I've never had to access a firmware update but some Mac user on here must have. Perhaps we can edit the title to reflect this in order to attract Mac users to this thread. I know thearne3 has had his E-P1 for quite a while and am guessing he must have done this at least once? I"ll send him a PM....

But just to be clear, is this the only way to access a firmware update - by using Olympus Master software?

5. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Either Olympus Master, Olympus Studio or there's a piece of software called 'IB' supplied with the E-PL1 but I haven't installed it, so don't know whether it does firmware updates?

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  6. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Jon,
    If there is no update, it will not find the camera.
    You have to be plugged in and the storage button hit, then hit update on the top header.

7. Jon F

Jon F Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 19, 2010
    • Like Like x 1
  8. BBW

Thank you Jon. I haven't had to do any of this yet, but it's always good to have a bookmarked short cut to the right place!:2thumbs: