Mac - email client

BillN

Mu-43 All-Pro
What email client do you guys use on the Mac

I use Outlook on the PC - have done for years - I know it, like it etc.

The one that comes with my iMac - well it seems very boring etc.,

any recommendations

ahuyevshi

Mu-43 Veteran
You could get Entourage (Outlook for Mac), or Thunderbird, there are a few... There is one that I used in Beta for a while which rocked.. Post Office something I gotta find it.... I use Gmail so I prefer web than a thick client.

Bill Gordon

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I use the Mail program that comes built in with the iMac and I think that it is great. If you have an iPod the Notes program that is part of the mail program is great for transferring data from the 'puter to the iPod....yes, it does not have smilies but it does have some other things and it marries up with the address book and the iPhoto program...all with the iMac!! Greatest thing that I did was to move from PC....never go back!!

BillN

Mu-43 All-Pro
Thanks Boris

I did a lot of work for "thick clients" - I quite liked them - they usually paid well

I want one like the one in the film - "When Harry met Sally" or was it "You've got Mail" or even the one in Mission Impossible - the Jove email thing

I run about 10 different emails addresses - to keep all my women admirers guessing - and I need a new one for Natasha from Russia who keeps contacting me now that Brian has made me famous with his PAD thing

Something colourful, expressive, dynamic, unusual - these Macs are supposed to be fund and this email thing I have on here is not - Oh I forgot (and cheap)

kevinparis

Cantankerous Scotsman
the mail client ... called Mail.. just works... it can do everything i can imagine you would want to do with mail

check out things like the Smart folders for organising your mail.. also the data dtectors... if you have a physical address in an email, a right click lets you see it on google maps

its all good stuff

K

ahuyevshi

Mu-43 Veteran
apple mail is more intelligent than entourage and integrates with all apple apps

Integration maybe, but definitely not more intelligent.... On a corporate network Entourage is as close to Outlook (with integrated address book/Calendar) as you can possibly get...

Bill, I don't want to know.... Try Thunderbird... it's free and works well...

Disclaimer: I have not used "Mail" since Jaguar so my experience is fairly old on it..

Iconindustries

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Hey Bill, i'd stick with Apple mail. It does all you need and it's clean. I have my Gmail email linked with Apple mail via POP3, Works like a dream. I've even made my mail alert the same as the text alert on my iphone, neat i'd say.

All the best,

icon

Rich M

Mu-43 Veteran
Use the Apple Mail program....very reliable and surprisingly customizable.

Mozilla's Thunderbird also works very well.....it's free, upgraded frequently and has more of that e-mail "client" look.

R

Pelao

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The Apple Mail app is easy to misjudge. Work through it's preferences and you will see that it is very flexible and easy to use, especially with multiple accounts.

LisaO

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Lisa
Jaguar was long ago. Leopard and snow leopard Mail integrates with address book, notes, iphone, mobile me, iphoto etc. Entourage is about the same as it was at that time though.

.....Disclaimer: I have not used "Mail" since Jaguar so my experience is fairly old on it..

Richard W

Mu-43 Regular
I agree with Kevinparis and Iconindustries.

I use the native Mail program on my iMac. It downloads emails for 6 different addresses, including my work server, and gmail.

Set up your folders and smart mailboxes. Go into Mail preferences and set your alerts and colours (text and background) and individual rules. My Mail window is truly a multicoloured smorgasbord.

But if you really don't want to use Mail, then I would suggest Thunderbird which I used instead of Outlook/express when I had a PC.

john1027

Mu-43 Veteran
Bill, another vote for Apple mail from someone who used Entourage for a while on my home apple computers and who uses Outlook/windows at work daily. Additionally, if you can hold on until late 2010, MS Office 2010 for the Mac is supposed to have a much better mail program in the basic form of Outlook. We'll see how it turns out, and I wouldn't be surprised if the release date slides into 2011.

http://www.macworld.com/article/142266/2009/08/office_2010_outlook.html

ahuyevshi

Mu-43 Veteran
Thanks Lisa.... I'm on snow leopard but I only use the web client for e-mail as 90% of my e-mail is checked and responded to either on my droid for personal or berry for work.

Latest threads

Top Bottom