M8 Lagoon & M20 Triffid with Canon FD300mm F4L

Discussion in 'Astrophotography' started by PhilS, May 24, 2014.

1. PhilS

PhilS Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Phil Savory
    First chance at some astophotography for weeks so I took the opportunity to get my gear out. I used my OMD EM5 and a canon 300mm F4L on my Ioptron IEQ30.
    My polar alignment proceedure is still not correct as I was getting star trails on long exposures at 60 secs so I dropped the exposure time down to 20 seconds.

Quite a bit of CA on the brighter stars. Next time I will pre proccess the RAWS.

I took 52 lights and 20 darks at 20 seconds ISO 400 and combined the data in Deep Sky Stacker,

Image then graded in Photoshop.

I am happy with the results for a first time.

14261518355_aed255bea8_b. M8 Lagoon & M20 Triffid with FD300mm F4L by philipsavory, on Flickr

• Like Like x 6
  2. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Thanks for this post Phil. The details you included were quite valuable. How did you ensure that your focus was right on with the 300mm Canon lens? And did you crop the original at all, or this is the full OM-D frame?

3. PhilS

PhilS Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Phil Savory
    Slothead.. I focused on Rigel Centaurus, a very bright star that makes up the pointers to the Southern Cross. The technique was trial and error, not very scientific. On the EM5 I magnify the screen (forget the technical term) and focusing is then quite easy.

Mind you I did I sequence of 30 photos last night on Eta Carina and the focus had moved.. arghhh.. so dissapointed

When I am using my Astrogrph telescope to image I use a Bahtinov mask.. work a treat for focusing. You can down load an image from google, print it and make your own if needed. Works a treat.

the image is cropped, Here is what a single exposure looks like.

4. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Very nice! I keep debating on getting an Ioptron sky tracker just for wide angle. Seems you are having some success with their EQ mounts.