M5 Globular Star Cluster with Night Vision & GH3

Discussion in 'Video to Share' started by jdbastro, Jul 10, 2013.

1. jdbastro

jdbastro Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 22, 2013
    West Coast
    This shows the bright Globular Star Cluster, M5, in the constellation Serpens as seen looking into a night vision monocular (Gen 3 image intensifier) inserted into a Takahashi Mewlon 250 telescope. A Panasonic GH3 camera is coupled afocally to the monocular eyepiece via a Voigtlander 17.5mm f0.95 lens.

M5 Globular Star Cluster thru Image Intensifier in Real Time - YouTube

2. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    I have no idea about any of this, I keep thinking I'm looking at something microscopic in Petri dish ....what's all the flickering sparkly stuff in the vids ? I'm assuming its some kind of noise or is it atmospheric dust particles or something like that ?

3. TDP

TDP Guest

I would love to see a photo of the setup.

A LONG time ago I shot a lot of video with a large camera rigged with 4949 NVGs (Gen 6). It was a lot of fun!

4. jdbastro

jdbastro Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 22, 2013
    West Coast
    Night Vision Sparkles

Yes, the sparkling is electronic noise produced inside the image intensifier. The light from a Gen 3 image intensifier is created by converting light into electrons, then amplifying the electrons by thousands of times, and then converting the electrons back into green light (the electrons strike a glass window coated with a special phospher that glows when struck - like an old fashioned TV tube).

The net light amplification from a gen 3 image intensifier is approx. 50,000 times!!

This makes them excellent for looking at dim astronomy targets like globular star clusters and allows one to actually create real-time videos of dim celestial objects in the night sky using a modern, convential digital camera pointed at the phospher screen of the image intensifier.

5. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I've heard about these night vision electronic eyepieces. I thought about getting one for my telescope until I saw the price. Very cool and interesting.