1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

M4T EVF Question

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by retiredfromlife, May 16, 2016.

1. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2016
    Syndey, Australia
    New to the forum, found it while researching M4T cameras.
    I nearly purchased an Olympus EM1 this month but backed out after reading about the EVF sun spot damage issues. Especially since I need glasses and one of my main uses would be tripod use. So I would be a prime candidate for the problem to arise. Especially under the ozone hole here in Australia.

Is this an Olympus issue or common to all M4T EVF's ? Or all EVF's ?

Also noticed the the next model may come out this year, so hope they fix this problem. I hope with the MK2 they they leave the back panel the way it is. I like the drop down style far better than the fully articulated version, but I think I am in the minority there.

Any advice will be appreciated, and from what I have seen so far a very nice friendly forum.

Regards MarkL

2. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Most people are used to m43 or m4/3 rather than M4T FWIW.

The EVF blob issue is only really a problem if you use a significant positive dioptre on the viewfinder (adjust it towards positive), if it's adjusted towards negative it's less likely to occur. Mine is adjusted slightly positive on two bodies and in almost three years nothing bad has happened (Mostly shooting in Australia/SE Asia).

Furthermore some designs are less prone to it (generally designs which only have a smaller window to view the EVF, ones such as the E-M1 which allow non precise eye placement are more prone to it).

Last edited: May 16, 2016
  3. retiredfromlife

May 15, 2016
    Syndey, Australia
    Thanks for the reply.
    So does that mean that the new PenF would be less prone due to the small eye piece, even on a tripod when the eye is not looking through, and I suppose the Panasonic GX8 would have similar problems to the EM1 due to the size of it's eye piece.

Will use m43 next time. I have to learn all the new jargon these days. I have not really kept track of photography since I used to use and develop my own film, mainly B & W.

Regards MarkL

4. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I have an E-M10 and an E-M1; no EVF issues with either.

5. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    The PenF might also have a hot mirror filter (to remove UV/UR, it was talked about, no idea if there's one in the design) which would lower the chance of damage. It wasn't really seen as a problem before the E-M1, I suspect all newer cameras should have precautions against damage.

I really don't worry about it, if it happens it happens... it's not something you can really control.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I wouldn't let these concerns stop you getting an E-M1. It's a fantastic camera and I think the incidences of issues with the EVF are fairly low. You could always fashion up a cover for tripod use if it particularly concerns you. In addition, Olympus will fix it under warranty.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. retiredfromlife

May 15, 2016
    Syndey, Australia
    I ended up getting a Pen E-P5 as these are going really cheap now in Sydney. Just came with the kit zoom lens. Did not include the external view finder. So no EVF to worry about.

I figured this will get me started and I can wait till the EM1 mk2 comes out and upgrade then, if I still like the Olympus system.
    I can see why people say the Olympus menu's are complicated, I am trying to find a youtube video showing the best way of navigating the Menu's and setting up the camera.

I may get a shutter release cable soon if they are common to all Olympus cameras.

Regards MarkL

8. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I'm using an external shutter cable from my E-5, it seems likely that they're all the same as long as the plug fits.