1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

M43 Weather Sealing

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by retiredfromlife, May 20, 2016.

1. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2016
    Syndey, Australia
    Can anyone comment on the weather sealing on either Olympus or Panasonic.
    I do a bit of bush walking and would like a bit of weather sealing. No so much as shooting in the pouring rain but often a camera gets a bit damp etc in your pack, and I would like to have a camera that can be used in light rain for short periods. I own a Nikinos film camera it it has O ring seals. Do these cameras have seals that can be serviced? If they don't I suppose the weather sealing would be short lived.

Anyone have experience with the weather sealing?

Regards MarkL

2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Take the designation as a sign that the camera and/or lens has better protection from moisture, but know that any water damage is not going to be covered under a warranty claim. I have used my E-M1 and 12-40 in a misting rain for an hour or so, but I didn't pack it away wet when I was done. I wiped it off with a soft towel and let it sit in the hotel room for a while. I have not had any issues with this type of shooting and have done this on several occasions. I would keep a soft dry cloth with you and either wipe or wrap the camera until you can let it properly dry if you want to use it in the conditions you describe.

Good luck,

--Ken

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    The weather sealing on the OMD EM1 and EM5 is top notch. I have had both (with weather sealed lenses) in pouring down rain with no problems. I don't just mean in the rain for a few seconds, I regularly shoot in the rain because I love the light and typically will be out there for hours in it shooting. I have also dropped my EM1 into the swamp a number of times and it's survived (typically in the water for 1 to 15 seconds before I could retrieve it).

The weather sealing of Olympus is one of the reasons I picked Olympus after shooting Canon for 20+ years. I honestly have complete faith in my gear and don't even question it while in the field. I love walking around my favorite state park for gator photography and seeing the looks of the Canokin shooters as they try to keep the rain off their cameras, they look at me like I'm crazy.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Appreciate x 1
    • Useful x 1
  4. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I don't have a ton of experience shooting with weather-sealed ILCs, but I will say that from all the research I've done, I'd say the only prosumer models whos weather sealing I would really trust is Olympus and Pentax. I don't really know about the GH4, but no other mirrorless cameras on the market are very confidence inspiring, and I've heard too many anecdotes of failures in 5D's and 6D's that I would only put total confidence in the 1D and D3/4/5 lineups as far as DSLRs go. Maybe the 7D II and D500 are built to that same standard...

Last edited: May 20, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. MaK543

MaK543 Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2012
    MD USA
    I once used EM5 and 12-40 Pro lens in steady rain (not puring) for about 15 minutes, then packed it wet.. I got distracted by my whining kids at the time. Camera and lens both worked flawlessly the next day. IIRC, EM1 and EM5 Mark II have even better seals.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  6. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Canon 5D and 6D are not weather sealed so I would expect them to fail. The 7D2 is suppose to be pretty good, I left Canon before it was released. The original 7D (which I had) was what they called "ruggedized" but not something I trusted in the rain.

The main problem with Canon/Nikon is they are really kinda of shady about which lenses are weather sealed (info is hard to find on their websites). For some reason there seems to be this belief that all Canon L lenses are weather sealed, but that is not true. Most of the popular (aka cheap) L lenses are not weather sealed.

I honestly believe Olympus and Pentax have the best weather sealing in the industry.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ranter

Ranter Mu-43 Regular

Feb 29, 2016
    Randall
    There is a video out in you tube somewhere of a guy who has his gh4 out for a good soaking in the rain.. shooting video .. by the end , the cameras mic is suffering but not failing but otherwise the camera is fine..

unfortunatley i dont presently have a weather sealed lens for the gx8 so i've never really had it out there.. but i hope that video was a true rep of what panasonic weather sealing is like

as far as someones comment above , about all the canon shooters hiding there camera from the rain while out gator shooting ... were these rebels they were all shooting ?
    i've had my 5d3 in some pretty heavy rain, snow and super humid carribean conditions .. its still shooting like a champ
    and the 7d2 has been proven to have even more sealing than the 5d3

edit.. found the video

8. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    I honestly don't pay much attention to what people are shooting and it's hard to tell anything when they are wrapped up in those camera condoms. While I would guess a lot of it is because they are shooting non weather sealed cameras but also the lenses. The most common affordable Canon wildlife lenses are not weather sealed. The new 100-400 is but the older one was not, the 400/5.6 is not, the 300/4 is not and the ever popular Sigma is not (I think their sport version is but I really don't know for sure but it's also sold in lower numbers then the cheaper version, all of my friends have gotten the cheaper version).

I'm not saying other cameras are not capable of shooting in the rain. But, Nikon and Canon don't make that info easy to find when it comes to lenses on their websites.

9. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    On a couple of occasions I have had to actually rinse my E-M1 off under a faucet. Once it was with the old 12-60mm lens mounted via the MMF-3 adapter. No problem at all. That was a couple years ago. Still works great.

First time was because I partially spilled a beer on it. I think Olympus should update their marketing to indicate that the equipment is weather, dust, and beer proof. :)

• Funny Funny x 5
  10. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    To the OP - when the em-1 first came out, Ming Thein tested it by putting the camera in the shower and he ran hot water on it for 30 minutes. My personal experience supports his finding. I usually give the camera a shower from sand or when out in the snow and the camera and lens gets covered in ice.

11. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Do be careful around hot water as it can cause expansion which will allow moisture to get in places where it is shouldn't. I once ruined a diving watch by wearing it in a steam room. The seals expanded and moisture entered. Heat is not your friend.

--Ken

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2016
    Syndey, Australia
    Thank you for all the replies, glad Panasonic & Olympus fair well as I am mainly trying to decide between the GX8 and OMD EM1. But since the OMD EM1 (mk2) may be coming out soon makes me want to wait and see what it offers.

One problem for me in Sydney is finding out what Panasonic lenses are weather proofed. All he stores I have been in point to straight to Olympus when I mention weather proofing, and their pro 2.8 zooms and 60mm macro look very good. All they show me for Panasonic are basic kit lenses. Which Panasonic pro lenses have sealing?

Regards MarkL

13. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    I really have no interest in Panasonic lenses so not sure which ones other then the 35-100 and 100-400 are weather sealed.

14. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

12-35mm f/2.8, 35-100mm f/2.8, 100-400mm are touted as dust and moisture resistant. Olympus claim freeze resistance on top of that, at least for the Pro series lenses (8mm f/1.8, 7-14mm f/2.8, 12-40mm f/2.8, 40-150mm f/2.8, 300mm f/4) and the E-M1/E-M5 Mk2. There's also the 12-50 and 60mm macro which are just moisture and dust resistant.

15. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Olympus also has the 14-150 and now that I think about it, doesn't Panny have a slow super zoom that is also weather sealed?

16. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    Here you go

While taking shots, I broke the ice on the lens several times while zooming. Rinse in the sink when we arrived back home.

12374777395_8bde4874e4_b. Freezing temperatures by Thomas Dekany, on Flickr

• Like Like x 5
  17. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Ah yes, the Olympus 14-150mm Mk2 and new Panasonic 12-60mm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. travelbug

travelbug Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2014
    as a corollary to the op, do these weathersealed (magnesium alloy?) bodies protect against salt and corrosion?

19. sesser

sesser Zen Master

Mar 10, 2015
    Portland, OR
    randy
    +1

I used my E-M1 in the rain, snow and near a waterfall. Once it was raining sideways on the Oregon coast... no issues. Never gave it a second thought. My biggest concern was keeping water off the front element. Meanwhile, this other poor guy had his Canon 6D and 70-200 tucked into his poofy jacket until the rain had subsided. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. johnvanatta

johnvanatta Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    Heavy, lashing rain and thunderstorm downpour were fine. Heavy sea spray might have broke my grip for the em5, so I'll be more careful about salt water in the future.

The o rings aren't user serviceable afaik. Maybe some silicon grease on the external ones periodically would be a good idea?