m43 vs. iPhone

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by junk_space, Jun 8, 2011.

1. junk_space

junk_space Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 22, 2010
    As an individual uncontrollably addicted to both my GF1 and iPhone, I find it amusing (and perhaps comforting??) that my favorite photos often seem split 50/50 between the two devices. Is it just me, or would you also be in a very happy place if you could slap your m4/3 arsenal of lenses right onto the back of your iPhone?? Don't get me wrong, I'm a tinkerer with plenty of accessories and love tweaking my manual modes when shooting too, but has anyone else noticed that that the most recent iPhone camera has a tap+hold AE/AF lock?! ...Steve Jobs has found the right advisors in my opinion.
  2. kai.e.g.

kai.e.g. Mu-43 Regular

Better still, the iOS 5 update coming out soon will allow the volume-up button to be used as a shutter release when taking pictures. Like you, I find taking pictures with the iPhone4 surprisingly appealing. I also love the Hipstamatic app, and I suppose I have about a dozen other app "gadgets" ranging from light meters (handy with my older manual film cameras) to various post-processing apps. Can't say I use them all, but I can't help buying them when they're often no more than a couple of dollars.

I'm not sure it's quite 50/50 for me, but I no longer feel naked without a "real" camera when I go out without one sometimes, knowing that the phone will mostly do OK.
  3. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    I use my iPhone a lot as a camera. For one thing, it's usually the one I have with me.
  4. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Then I'll wait. Who knows? Maybe iPhone 5 will invent the (proprietary...) tripod thread, and iOS 6 the (cold) accessory shoe, to get a viewfinder?

Seriously, lads and lasses, I'm afraid some Olympus Pen will run a spreadsheet before Apple admits they're wrong and ad a wriststrap lug to their phone :rolleyes:
  5. junk_space

junk_space Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 22, 2010
    Yes - I love the shutter button! I'm using iOS 5 now (as a developer) and I have to say it's really nice to have the option. Grid line overlays are another welcome one. I won't get too far ahead of myself here - but Jonathan Ives has sited Leica as a significant iPhone 4 industrial design inspiration.
  6. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Yep, the best pictures are always with iphones... it's always there
  7. Lili

Lili Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 24, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    Nokia has had a shutter button on their phones for years.
    Heck Microsoft spec'd one on their wp7's.
    Plus the button was designed to wake all of them from sleep/lock mode.
    Way to go, 'innovate'
  8. aaiek

aaiek New to Mu-43

Jun 9, 2011
    It is amazing how good a photo most phones can manage. Iphone 4 on a recent holiday. As the saying goes, the best camera is the one you have with you.

Attached Files:

9. EA4BL

EA4BL Mu-43 Rookie

Iphone 4

I´m also using the iphone a lot these days besides my EP1.
    I find the many photo app´s really amazing.
    Using mainly Instagram and Lomo both free.
    Also find very nice the fact that you can upload the pics right after taking them to the web and social networks.
    Try downloading Instagram and see what´s happening there.
  10. IIGQ4U

IIGQ4U Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2011
    La Jolla CA
    I must be the only person who doesn't like to use their iPhone to snap photos.
  11. junk_space

junk_space Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 22, 2010
    +1 for Instagram. Some other favorites are CameraBag, TiltShiftGen, and Photogene...

Makes me wonder if Panasonic, Olympus, etc. will start taking these uploading / social media features seriously soon. I some cameras have this + also know a lot of people cringe at this direction for "serious" cameras, but I find myself purposefully taking duplicate photos on my iPhone while on a shoot just so I can share easily. Speaking of... does anyone have a good device recommendation attachable to a GF1 that does this??
  12. IIGQ4U

IIGQ4U Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2011
    La Jolla CA
    Pick up a EyeFi WiFi SD card and your photos can be wirelessly uploaded to one of many image hosting Websites such as Flickr, PhotoBucket and SmugMug.
    • Like Like x 1