M43 system tips

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Chrisnmn, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    We all know how wonderful this whole forum is. Amateurs, enthusiast, pros altogether sharing their images, advice, tips and tricks, and how to make the best of this system. And though im still a new face in this forum ive been trying to participate as much as possible, and i just came up with this idea, of basically showing some tips, my set's, camera setups, but all that in one place we can use as a reference and come back instead of trying to find every thread were someone said,wrote, showed this or that. What do you think?

And since i started this ill throw the first stone,

Since im just a couple of months old ive configured my olympus epl2 and now my omd with three main "my sets" based on my best results so far

This are the following:

My Set 1 - B/W Street Shooting configuration

Iso Auto set from 200-1600
    Spot Metering (having asigned Fn2 as my AEL)
    S-AF / MF
    Monotone (S 0 / C +2 / F Red / T Neutral)
    Raw
    WB auto
    NR OFF
    NF OFF

My Set 2 - Portraits, Outdoors, Family, General

Iso Auto set from 200-800
    Center weighted
    S-AF / MF
    Natural ( S 0 / C +1 / S +1 / Grad Normal)
    Raw
    WB "cloud" (to get warmer colors outside)
    NR OFF
    NF OFF

My Set 3 - Long Exposures

Iso 200
    Center weighted
    S-AF / MF
    Natural ( S 0 / C +1 / S +1 / Grad Normal)
    Raw
    WB AUTO
    NR On
    NF OFF
    Live Bulb 4seconds
    Live Time 8seconds
    Anti-shock 4 seconds

This as you can guess a work in progress but what are my "best results so far" ive gotten from this cameras at what i do....what are yours? Hope we could all learn from each other

2. hypnomatt

hypnomatt Mu-43 Regular

Nov 4, 2011
    Man, I wish I could be as organized as you! I never think about settings in that way. I just adjust on the fly and adapt to the subject/conditions there and then.

3. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Worth mentioning that contrast, sharpness etc settings only apply to JPEG. If you're shooting raw and developing in post, then whatever software you're using with have its own settings. WB information is retained though.

I always shoot on aperture priority, changing from spot to centre-weighted metering depending on the complexity of the scene, and adjusting the EV compensation as needed. Usually I underexpose by a third, because I own a GF1 and it likes to clip the highlights. I don't have differing approaches based on separate situations, I just shoot the same way all the time.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Haha well now you can, or if you doesnt want to, at least you can try mine and see if they work for you...