1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

m43-Sized Lens Pouches?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by LeMenhir, Mar 27, 2014.

1. LeMenhir

LeMenhir New to Mu-43

Mar 27, 2014
    N'Awlins, USA
    Nathan
    Hi! I'm new to m43 and new to the forums here. I just bought an E-M10 and I'm looking for pouches for my extra lenses. Nothing fancy, just to protect them inside my camera bag.

I've Googled and found tons of neoprene pouches suitable for FF lenses, but most all of them are too large. Even the small ones for 50mm standard lens seem too large in diameter for a relatively snug fit with m43 lenses. I'm looking for bags for two Oly lenses- the 9-18mm zoom and the 40-150mm zoom. That translates to roughly 2.25 to 2.5 inches inside diameter (or about 60-65mm.)

Does anyone have any recommendations? I've done a search through this forum and couldn't find anything. Thanks in advance!

2. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    I bought these pouches:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008XTZBKO/

They claim interior is 3.9" x 2.6" (length x diameter). Both of your lenses should fit in there, although it might be a bit roomy for the 9-18mm. Looks like the 40-150mm will fit but you won't be able to cinch up the drawstring, but if you just want it for padding it should to the job.

Now if I could piggyback off your post and ask for soft/cloth pouch recommendations for pancake lenses and smaller primes like the short Olympus primes that would be great. So far I've had no luck finding suitable pouches that aren't stiff neoprene, too big, or both.

• Like Like x 1
  3. flamingfish

flamingfish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2012
    Emily
    Here are some on Amazon. Micro Lens Pouches

This link is for a set of three, but you can buy them individually to get the sizes you want. They're nice quality.

Edited to say that I also bought the Cosmos pouches recommended by Yohan. The main difference between them and the ones I linked (other than the price difference, which isn't insignificant) is that the Cosmos pouches have a bulky seam in the inside. Yohan is correct that the 40-150 fits, but the drawstring won't close.

I haven't found anything for a small prime. My 17mm is in the smallest of the set I linked, but it doesn't fit snugly at all.

• Like Like x 2
  4. thepinched

thepinched Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 2, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  5. LeMenhir

LeMenhir New to Mu-43

Mar 27, 2014
    N'Awlins, USA
    Nathan
    Thanks Yohan, flamingfish, and thepinched. I appreciate the response in this forum, thank you so much!

The Matin brand ones still look too wide / loose so I think I'll avoid those, because too much extra fabric. Here's the deal- I've sworn to myself that I will be able to carry my whole camera kit inside a ThinkTank Retrospective five-liter bag, not including a travel tripod. I'm pretty sure I can make it, even though it will be tight.

I oscillated between the MicroLens and the Cosmos, but I'm going to order the MicroLens trio. Emily's edit convinced me. :) If that doesn't work, then I'll order the Cosmos (hey, it's relatively cheap.)

Thanks again! I appreciate the help from all three of you. Some day, when I'm more familiar with m43, I'll pay it forward.

Nathan

6. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I bought a set of these and they are great. The only lenses that they won't fit are my M Zuiko 75-300mm II with the hood on and reversed, and my 12-40 2.8 PRO, also with the hood on and reversed.
    For my larger lenses I bought this Foto Tech set. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C1VEQFG/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    They aren't as snug and thick as the first set, but they also have a clip and belt loop besides the draw string closure.

7. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    Duplicate post. Stupid iPad or stupid forum or stupid poster.

8. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I use these as well. Here is a pic of the 40 - 150 in the pouch.

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/dornblaser/13459051824/player/" width="768" height="1024" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

9. darcius1

darcius1 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Sandwich Isles
    I use the microfiber bags that came with my Oakley sunglasses. Didn't realize that I had had that many pairs of them.

10. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    I use my sons old socks. Get a pack of kids 2-4 year old socks and double them up for extra protection. They fit anything other than the zooms.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    I use Crown Royal bags in my Domke bag upon occasion to keep the lenses from scratching against the bag.

They do a nice job of protecting the lenses.

Check with your local pub, they may be willing to donate bags w/o you having to actually purchase the whiskey bottles.

Regards,

Jim

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  12. darcius1

darcius1 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Sandwich Isles
    Only thing about socks is the possibility of lint.

I have a microfiber skullcap that serves double duty to wrap a camera with mounted lens.

13. RickinAust

RickinAust Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2013
    Australia
    If you want some pouches for the Oly small primes like the 12mm or the 45mm you can get these. They are designed for lens adapters and had about 0.75 cm of thick foam padding which I removed and replaced with some thinner rubber. As you can see they are a perfect fit.

[​IMG]"500" height="375" alt="P3311544"></a>[/IMG]

[​IMG]"500" height="375" alt="P3311545"></a>[/IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  14. Alternatives are make up pouches, they come in varied sizes and golf club (woods) head covers.

15. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    Rick,

What are those pouches called exactly? My search-fu is failing me. A model number would be perfect if you have it.

16. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

17. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    C'mon now....
    We really know you drank all the bottles.....:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Not so much, RT - I'm more of a single malt guy, with an occasional side trip for bourbon or the Irish. And there's always a bottle of Jack Daniels in the cupboard for when I break out the Sinatra :thumbup:.

We've a family friend that drinks the Canadian and who doesn't need the bags so I have a source for free lens pouches :2thumbs:. (I do reciprocate by keeping a bottle of the Canadian here at the Swamp for the few times a year he drops in.)

I can drink the swill...I, mean, "the Crown Royal"...if there's nothing else around but it's low on my list. The best part of the whiskey is the bag that the bottle comes in...:hiding:.

If Johnnie Walker came in bags we'd be swimming in the things...(yes, I know JW isn't a single malt; but I'm a man on a budget, I'm saving up for the next lens or camera that I don't need :biggrin:).

The pouches do work pretty well in the Domke; if they came in colors it would be easier to tell which lens was in which section of the bag tho. Maybe I should thread a different color of yarn through the eyelets in each bag???

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  19. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    I use Lens Coat bags and pouches for m43 as I did for my previous DSLR kit. Keeps stuff clean and protected.

https://www.lenscoat.com

• Like Like x 1
  20. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Thanks Mcasan!

I've a buddy who photographs wildlife, I'll send him the link. (He shoots Canon, so doesn't hang around here).

Regards,

Jim