1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

M43 processing challenge #35 (72 hours)

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by robbie36, Jun 6, 2013.

1. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Ok a little challenging this one. Maybe there is an interesting photo in there maybe not. Oh and at least the eyes are just about in focus!

pp352.

ORF:http://www.yousendit.com/download/WFJWUXVwYUlIcWNVV01UQw

JPEG:http://www.yousendit.com/download/WFJWUXVucHZlaFROTzhUQw

Challange ends midnight (US time) on Saturday. Results shortly afterwards.

Usual blurb...
    ====
    Mu-43 PP Challenge Rules
    The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

Should the winner not be able to commit to being the next challenger/judge, the responsibility is passed on to the runner-up.

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

Entrants
    The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by xxxxxx over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.
    =====

2. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    Great shot Robbie. I'll have to set aside some time for this one.

3. szanda

szanda Mu-43 Regular

That is nice photo Robbie, here is my pp:
    2zjfghf.

Some masking to make it more pop, and my favourite secret custom b&w action in ps :smile: :smile:

4. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    An interesting shot.

I found the out of focus screen distracting so I did an extremely severe crop to eliminate it. That left me with a very wide cinematic aspect ratio so I let that suggest a more dramatic, film noir approach. The main element is a graduated filter largely reducing exposure and highlights from left to right in order to keep the lightshade bright while toning down the face and hinting at shadows. I brightened the whites of the eyes, used a healing brush on a small highlight on the lips, and did a few other adjustments to the tone mapping and contrast in order to push things into that cinematic mood.

I think she's a lovely model but she may not like this treatment which looks a little haunted to my eyes. The extreme close up feel of the crop isn't flattering and it really does change the whole mood of the photo. I think you shot a portrait but treated this way we no longer have a portrait in my view.

Attached Files:

5. pod

pod Mu-43 Regular

Oct 4, 2012
    Australia
    Rob
    Here's a shot .. desat all but red, my fav for a B&W spin ..

P9232844.

6. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
  7. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
  8. Cederic

Cederic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    Nottingham
    Look, I know that it's out of order to be negatively critical about other peoples' work but really you've all completely missed the point of this challenge.

There is a photo in there. It's subtle, it's artistic, it's modern and impressionist, and I'd hang it on my wall. Fellow post-processors, I give to you,

Yellow SQUARE
    i-JS9dr7p-M.

(Anybody pointing out that it's not square will be glared at)

9. Joltinjess

Joltinjess Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Port Moody, BC
    Jesse
    PP35_done.

Nothing too crazy. Curves, tilt, crop.

Great picture!

10. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    You really need to think out of that box :)

11. BAXTING

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    This first image reprsents what I saw when I first saw this image. I felt it was really open to creativity and I came very close to what I had envisioned.

All done in LR4 (lots of adjustments besides the obvious)

1. 16:9 (To hang on wall)

ppchallenge-01 by BAXTING, on Flickr

2. 1:1 (Wallet size)

ppchallenge-02 by BAXTING, on Flickr

12. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Bump....

24 hours left... hopefully some more entries....

13. cuervo.taylor

cuervo.taylor Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2013
    what happens to the one who wins?

14. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    You win a night out with Kate Moss if she is available.

(Oh and you also get the privilege of hosting the next post-processing challenge.)

15. BAXTING

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    I'll make sure she is available :thumbup:

16. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Messing around with snapseed and iphoto. First is straightened and cropped with a vintage filter preset and the second is straightened with a vertical crop and a spot of tilt-shift.

Attached Files:

17. cuervo.taylor

cuervo.taylor Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2013

I lol'ed

18. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Used Lightroom 4.4 only: applied Huelight standard profile, adjusted WB, rotated & cropped, flipped to B&W, applied my sepia preset, a little sharpening, slight vignette.

PP Challenge #35 - Entry 1 by twokatmew, on Flickr

19. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Ok competition closed. Will post the results shortly.

20. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Some great edits of a pretty irritating photo.

Ok in third place Twocatmew with....

I thought this was a nice crop but what I particularly liked was the sepia toning.

In second place is David A...

[​IMG]

I think I liked the idea behind this photo the best. I liked the very cropped image as well as the 'film noir' color rendition. It didnt win because 1) I felt that too much of the very bright lamp was included which competed with the face and 2) if you are going to crop in that close to a girl's face I think you should give her a bit of a break with retouching the skin.

So the winner is Baxting with.....

I generally dont like this sort of idea with a photo but I think it really works in this instance. The execution is excellent and I particularly liked the fact that you chose something like a selenium toning to go with the color rather than black and white.