1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

M43 Portraiture by LivingLoud

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by LivingLoud, Mar 13, 2014.

1. LivingLoud

LivingLoud Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 8, 2013
    Moscow
    Maxim Guselnikov
    Hello friends! It`s been a while since I`ve joined that community & I must say it`s my favourite place to talk photography in the whole internet at the moment. I`ve met some really interesting people here, got a lot of useful information & spent a lot of time browsing through your really nice photographs. It also kicked me to get myself a Flickr account since everybody got it.) So, as Vin (aka spatulaboy) suggested some time ago, I`ve finally decided to start my own thread to contribute to community something more than just some pictures.

hDXcIBr.
    E-M5 & mZD 75/1,8

About me

Well, for those who`s not familiar with me - my name`s Maxim, I live in Moscow, Russia & I`m a photographer. Since portraiture`s my favourite genre, this thread is dedicated to portraits. I do not want to declare myself uber-professional since there are so many guys that are much better than me but I`m doing my best & I hope that this topic will be a good example of what M43 system capable of.

bqo5BEn.
    E-M1 & PL 25/1,4

What`s the point?

From now on I`ll post whole sets (5-10 pics) of each shoot in this thread so if you`ll see one of them in Native Lenses Archive you can always come back here for more. :smile: I`ll give brief description of the photoshoot with some gear & lighting details. Comments & questions are welcome!

63at6Wj.
    E-M5 & mZD 75/1,8

My gear

I`ve switched to mirrorless last summer & now I shoot with M43 system exclusively. I don`t feel myself limited with M43 gear at all. Of course, FF still have some advanteges over M43 in terms of IQ but I`m happy with the results I`m getting with it. I`ve used zooms a lot back in DSLR times but with m43 I`ve decided to go for some fast primes. I have two camera bodies (E-M5 & E-P5), five prime lenses (Oly 12/2, 17/1,8, 45/1,8, 75/1,8 & Pana 25/1,4) & three RC flashes (two FL-600R`s & FL-50R). My favourite lenses are Pana 25/1,4 & Oly 75/1,8 - I shoot around 40% of my stuff with them. I must admit that eventually I can use any of my lenses for portraiture - I feel no restrictions in focal length for shooting a portrait. I`ve done some fisheye portraits, some wide-angles - so don`t be afraid of trying something new.

t7A26It.
    E-M5 & mZD 75/1,8

Software I use

Since I`ve got a lot of questions about PP techniques I should also mention the software I use. My main PP tool is Adobe Lightroom 5.3, which is great since it got Olympus camera profiles during last update. I also use PS Elements for retouching & layering/masking and OnOne Perfect Effects 8 for some special FX.

or5R3N3.
    E-M5 & PL 25/1,4

Afterword

MahhHte.
    E-P5 & mZD 17/1,8

Well, guys, thanks for your attention. I hope this topic will benefit the community in some way.:rolleyes:

If you like my work check out My Website, Flickr & 500px (some NSFW stuff out there).

UbUFJLY.
    E-M5 & mZD 75/1,8

• Like Like x 84
  2. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    Great thread to start! Can't wait to see more of your Portraiture work Maxim! :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dramaturg

Dramaturg Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2013
    Ukraine
    Yevgen
    Very nice processing, lighting and compositions. Very good job. However, as it is said, most of these shots would look awesome even if taken with an iPhone camera (I am sure you know why :smile: - though I don't want to diminish the wight of composition, lighting or the overall concept). Ah, those models :rolleyes:... What I would also really like to see is your male portraits, children snaps and more diverse female "selection" (if such exists, of course). I know the downside of the Slavic countries is that there are simply too many beautiful females, but still :wink:.

Again, very good work here.

• Like Like x 1
  4. LivingLoud

LivingLoud Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 8, 2013
    Moscow
    Maxim Guselnikov
    Thanks a lot, guys!

Dramaturg Of course, there`ll be more pics. The point of this thread`s to add a content in the process of it`s creation. Of course I can do some retrospective posts but I hope there`ll be enough current shoots to provide regular updates. BTW, as I mentioned above, you can always check my website or 500px to see more models.

• Like Like x 3
  5. SSSYURRR

SSSYURRR Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2014
    Moscow, Russia
    Sergei Yurin
    Sometimes I feel that all beautiful girls in Moscow goes to Max for photoshoot:biggrin:

6. LivingLoud

LivingLoud Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 8, 2013
    Moscow
    Maxim Guselnikov
    SSSYURRR Ahaha, and since they're always taken they end up getting a wedding shoot from you. )))

7. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    Great stuff man. I love shooting portraiture myself and for a while my kit only consisted of an E-M5+75/25. I've since upgraded to the E-M1 and have a 12-40 too. I've posted a couple pics of mine over in the 75mm f/1.8 lens thread and a random portraiture thread. Keep up the great work! :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. LivingLoud

LivingLoud Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 8, 2013
    Moscow
    Maxim Guselnikov
    Thanks for your respond m43happy! I`ve seen your pics - they`ve took my attention immediately, so you`re all good man, keep posting too.

• Like Like x 1
  9. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Wonderful shots all of them, definitely subscribing to this thread! :clapping:

I love the look you get Maxim, the combination of lighting, posing, and post-processing just gives such a great polished/finished style. Doesn't hurt that you have some great models to work with too!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jason C

Jason C Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2014
    SoCal
    Fabulous work, Max!

Jason

• Like Like x 1
  11. LivingLoud

LivingLoud Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 8, 2013
    Moscow
    Maxim Guselnikov
    Thanks Jay! Such words always works as a great encouragement for me.

Well, Ive settled some little things & I guess it`s time for announcement - my first detailed entry should be done this sunday.:th_salute:

• Like Like x 2
  12. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Amazingly beautiful photos Maxim! Will have to check out your website (right after this). You and Sergei are showing what can be done with m4/3 stuff. Well done!!

• Like Like x 1
  13. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    Great portraiture work, I now follow you on flickr.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Browsed your website, and I love the photos in it! Wonderful portrait work for sure! I even revived my 500 account to just follow your work!

• Like Like x 1
  15. LivingLoud

LivingLoud Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 8, 2013
    Moscow
    Maxim Guselnikov
    Wow, nice to know it, thanks again! If you have any questions about that portraits - just ask.)

I must mention that all of my works (website, 500px, flickr) were shot with 'tiny sensor' gear so it`s all up to you to decide does this sensor size debates really THAT matters.

• Like Like x 1
  16. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Geoff
    I enjoy your photos as well, and thank you for being careful about content on the open forum ...

Geoff

• Like Like x 2
  17. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Yay Maxim! Of course you know I'm a huge fan of your work and I am glad you are able to share it with everyone here. You have a very distinct style and I can always tell when I come across one of your pictures that it's yours without looking at who posted (also if it's a beautiful woman then I know it's definitely yours). :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. LivingLoud

LivingLoud Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 8, 2013
    Moscow
    Maxim Guselnikov
    Thanks Vin! I know it & really appreciate it! Actually, I don`t feel like I have my own style yet, to be honest... But I`m definitely not going to stop in my search. :rolleyes:
    As for the girls - only some of them are professional models. All of them are just picked to my taste. :smile:

19. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    You have great taste!! :)

20. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Maxim - I've looked at your work lots of times and it always amazes me. I'd love to do more portraiture work myself (correction - ANY portraiture work!!) and your stuff is so inspiring.

Thanks for posting.

• Like Like x 1