1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

m43 Photobook :) and m43rd Day :)

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Bhupinder2002, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

My fellow forum members :)
    I hope all of u had a fantastic new year :smile:. Now with so many talented photographers here on this forum and so many fantastic photographs , I am wondering if we could print a Photobook featuring 100-150 best photographs . We can start a thread and ask for entries . If your photo gets published then it's must that you buy the book and rest of the forum members can buy anyway . We can price book around 30-50 dollars . We can have a small intro of photographer and exif data on each photo .Any suggestions or comments are welcome . I would suggest to publish the book on 3rd April which is our M43 day .Lets celebrate MFT day with a bang this year .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

• Like Like x 1
  2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Sounds like a fun project, not sure how feasible it is for international members..

3. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Hi Bhupinder!

Mike Johnston over at T.O.P. has a similar project going (not :43: specific, but he is publishing "best of" photos from readers). It seems to be going rather well (albeit slowly; Mr. Johnston is wise enough not to rush such a project since if it goes well he will be offering further T.O.P. books).

He has one advantage - there is no "committee" of judges, he has made the final call on all photos and there is no court of final appeal if ones entry hasn't been selected. How the images for publication are chosen is critical (no pun intended :wink:) in order to avoid hurt feelings.

I should think that rules would have to be crystal clear (are 'legacy' lenses allowed? Or is it a "pure" :43: effort and only native lenses can be used?).

And I would assume that (to reduce any liability on Amin's part) that there would be an entry form or such which would confirm that the copyright of the entry belonged to the person who entered it, and other such legalese. (I'm not a lawyer and don't even play one on the web but I have seen some really nasty fights among former "friends").

As an idea I quite like the project - I'm partial to prints and prefer a book of them as opposed to looking through photos on the web.

Being on a "broken" budget (it used to be fixed and then I retired :biggrin:) the lower end of the cost range would fit me better but that's just me - others with deeper pockets might be able to support the higher end.

Thanks for bringing this idea up!

Regards,

Jim

4. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    I like it!

5. JamieW

JamieW Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2013
    This could be a fun idea if it was done right. I used to frequent an IRC channel in another life, and I did a similar project on a much smaller scale using Issuu. It wasn't a for sale kind of project, but it was fun to put together.

http://issuu.com/jamiewilburn/docs/dslr_august_2008

A few questions come to mind. Is there any markup? If so who gets the profit? Who pays the taxes on the sales of the books? Someone will have to claim the income and be responsible for it.

More importantly, who is responsible if after the book gets published, someone decides to sue? Who do they sue? I wouldn't want to be held responsible if John Doe contributed a copyright protected image and tried to pass it off as his own work. Who's going to manage the model and property releases involved in selling a photo book like this?

Can you print a 100-150 photo book for $30 - $50? Who has final say over what images make it in? Will there be some level of quality required for an image, or will all contributions be accepted? Who gets to tell the person excited about submitting their work that it's not good enough for the book?

This is just the first few things that come to mind. Not trying to shoot the project down, but it's not the easy stuff that gives us gray hairs. It's all the things that can go wrong after the fact.

6. peterpix

peterpix Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 8, 2010
    So. Maine
    Peter Randal
    In my former life as a book publisher, I produced more than 450 titles including several of my own photo books selling some 30,000 copies over the years. I'd be happy to help with this project. Books are editorial and should not have a worry about being sued. If its a POD book, individuals worldwide can order single copies. The book can be priced to sell at cost so there is no profit to divide. I have been thinking about a print swap, but what do you do with the prints and its an expense to mail them out. A book seems like a better idea.

7. JamieW

JamieW Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2013
    I'm pretty sure that's not how Editorial works. Last time I checked, even for editorial work, you still needed the copyright owner's permission to use their work in this fashion, and good luck citing a Fair Use defense in court for a photo book consisting of other people's work, especially when you didn't take the time to get permission from anyone in writing.

There's absolutely no reason not to cover your back side on a project like this. I'm certain that in the 450+ books you published, none of them went out the door without a legally binding contract limiting your liability in regards to copyright infringement on the author's part.

8. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    Would the Exif data prove ownership? Whose photo gets chosen could be sticky. If you open it up to voting it could be a popularity contest. If you keep it to members based on a date prior to the vote, that might work. You would also need categories because each area has its own difficulties and measures. Money could benefit the site, or be donated to charity.

9. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    The thread was started by an international member. :eek:

10. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Is he international to himself? Or is everyone else just international to him? ;D

• Like Like x 1