M43 or DSLR on vacation

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by nu8reed, Jun 18, 2013.

1. nu8reed

nu8reed New to Mu-43

Feb 10, 2013
    If you own a DSLR and an M43 camera, what do you take on vacation? Pros and cons of each?

2. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    MFT Pros

Size
    Weight

MFT Cons

Focus tracking

DSLR Pros

Focus tracking

DSLR

Size
    Weight

The choice really depends upon how broad your shoulders are and how important focus tracking is to you.

3. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I own both. Even though my main interest is landscape (advantage in terms of resolution and pure pixel quality at low ISO: DSLR (FF, 5DmkII)) when I'm traveling, the Canon almost never travels with me. Because it's simply too large and there are very, very few things it does significantly better than the E-M5. Printed images are my goal, and 100% enlargements on a monitor, while fun, are not what it's all about. I also don't shoot things that require AF tracking (birds in flight) much or ever, let alone on vacation.

My travel kit:
    - Oly E-M5
    - Panasonic 7-14, 12-35 and 100-300 (latter only if wildlife)
    - 3 batteries + charger
    - CPL + (grad) ND set (HiTech)
    - Sony RX100 (pocket cam)
    - (Acquapazza RX100 housing if scuba diving is involved)

The whole setup (ignoring the underwater housing for a minute) packs smaller and lighter than a 5D mark II with a 24-105. And offers far, far more range and flexibility. I sometimes add one of the primes (the 45, to 'fill the gap') since they're tiny and light, but the quality differential for the kind of travel shooting I do is minor.

4. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Define dslr?

There's a fairly massive difference between an APS Canon and a Leica S2, but both are dslr's. Do you mean APS, FF, MF? A little one like an Oly e-4xx? A big one like a Nikon Dx?

5. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Both :)

My vacations usually include birding, so the 7D comes along for sure, but the GF3 is so small that I can easily carry it anyhow.

6. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    It really depends on how I am traveling. By car the DSLR goes with along with the long lens. By plane it will be M4/3 all the way, unless I am going after wildlife, then back to the DSLR.

7. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    I made the decision a few months ago and let go of all my Nikon FF kit.

For travelling, size and portability is the main consideration so m43 is the winner for me.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app

8. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    For me, one of the main reasons I left DSLR was the size factor. I love that I can carry all my gear in a Lowepro 100 sling bag. If I go hiking or out and about for any length of time it all fits in my Rover AW, and that includes water bottles, tripod if needed, snacks, sandwiches...etc...so unless there is a compelling need to take the DSLR and associated accessories, your on vacation...go light and carefree.

9. TDP

TDP Guest

I tried FF DSLR and M43 once on vacation and ended up using the smaller camera most of the time.

10. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    having lugged canon 5D's and even Oly 510's around, trust me the OMD is an absolute joy. I can now travel with just a 17, 25 and 75 in a small domke bag and cover all my vacation needs

Tokyo - a set on Flickr

wandering thoughts

K

11. DeoreDX

DeoreDX Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 13, 2013
    Alabama
    Depends on what you are trying to take pictures of. I took my MU43 only last vacation and was somewhat pleased with the results. But there were lots of instances where I really wished I would have brought my SLR. Static images were OK but I take alot of pictures of my family/people when on vacation more than pictures of food or buildings and I find the AF-C speed, DoF isolation, and ability to push shadows in post lacking compared to my SLR. I probably won't go mu43 only again at least while I have a toddler.

12. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Kids....Vacation...DOF isolation...OMD.... not a big problem

9078694038_1d200f5cb2_b.
    P6130083 by kevinparis, on Flickr

9076469545_3caf170ec5_b.
    P6140126 by kevinparis, on Flickr

9076472837_dc88883b06_b.
    P6140155 by kevinparis, on Flickr

K

13. nu8reed

nu8reed New to Mu-43

Feb 10, 2013
    I've got a Canon 60D and a Panasonic GX1. We're going to Hawaii and taking our kid, who will be a toddler by then. I'm thinking with the kid, I don't know if I'll have much time to dedicate for taking pictures.

Thanks for the insights, keep them coming.

14. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    Take both. One for yourself and one for your wife :)

15. DeoreDX

DeoreDX Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 13, 2013
    Alabama
    Not a big problem but still much easier to get with my SLR without question. Images like the one in the swing you have to time it just right. With the SLR I can AF-C and capture 5-10 images in a quick burst and get several in focus images from apex to apex of the swing if I desired.

Another pro of the SLR is battery life. I can leave the SLR on the whole day take 800+ pictures and never have to worry about changing the battery or even switching the switch to the off position. It's ready instantly as soon as I half press the shutter to begin metering or press the AF-On button to focus. My Oly would power down after idle. A one second startup time doesn't sound like a lot but it can mean the difference between a moment lost and a moment captured when dealing with kids.

16. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Whatever that will allow you to enjoy the vacation & not get wrapped up in photography. :smile:

17. davidolarte

davidolarte Mu-43 Regular

May 14, 2013
    Bogotá, Colombia
    Juan Olarte
    Take the Micro Four Thirds of course!!!

18. nu8reed

nu8reed New to Mu-43

Feb 10, 2013
    I was leaning towards taking the smaller kit, but I guess what I am really asking is did anyone who owns both regretted not taking the DSLR.

19. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    A DSLR is a good way to ruin a perfect vacation. On the other hand, neither system will ruin your perfect vacation photos. ;)

20. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I think it really depends how you travel - I backpack. If I was driving/had a car most if the time, or headed to Antarctica again (ie shipboard life) a larger, heavier setup would be a non-issue. Dragging around luggage? Small wins. Big time.