1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

M43 on safari in Kenya

Discussion in 'Nature' started by mcasan, Nov 28, 2015.

1. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    _B131538. _B160419. The wife and I got back from 3 weeks in Kenya last week. Our first safari since we sold off the Canon stacks and went M43. Most of our shots were with E-M1 and 40-150 Pro or Panasonic 100-300.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 18
    • Winner Winner x 10
  2. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    Thanks for sharing, great set!

3. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Since you have an E-M1, did you ever consider picking up a 50-200 & the 1.4x TC? It'll give you a max reach of 280mm with an aperture of f/5, and the image quality is certainly better than the 100-300 delivers.

I have one for my GH4 that I use strictly as a manual focusing lens, and it is very impressive in the image quality it delivers.

4. maritan

maritan Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Love the shot of the elephant in golden light. Beautiful.

My wife and I are trying to plan for a trip to Tanzania in 2017. I've told her that I'll be buying the Leica 100-400 or Oly 300mm - whichever seems to have better IQ at the long end. Can't wait.

5. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
    Great shots.

Did you miss the AF of the Canon bodies??

Thanks for sharing

6. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    We will changing out our Panny 100-300 for either the 300mm Pro (we already have the TC) or the Leica 100-400. Much depends on the real world test results as to which one we will select.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    We have used the Panny shooting wildlife before and have no problem with them. Had to have a better lens for the $350 I paid for each copy. Those will be replaced with either 300mm Pro or Leica 100-400mm next year. Can't wait for real world test results and comparisons.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Vandy

Vandy Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2015
    VA
    Marc
    Those are a couple of great action shots of the zebra and deer.

9. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta

Not in the least! We both shot 5DIII and 7D before we sold it all off. The tour leader was shooting 1DX. Naturally it has better AF and higher ISO capabilities. For 7 times the body cost....it very much should! I let the leader use one of my EM-! bodies, he was amazed at the value for money. He could not believe we were about to get new firmware that introduced focus bracketing and stacking. The capabilities, especially of the E-M1 with the 40-150 Pro, really shook up his world. He is still waiting on 1DX II to be released....the 1DX is getting long in the tooth.

BTW, the shots I included were generally done hand held out the roof of the truck. I rarely had a bean bag stack that gave me the right height.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. MRM

MRM Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Matt
    How was having 300 as the longest focal length. I am going to on a safari in Tanzania in February and am debating on how long I have to go.

11. Bomber

Bomber Mu-43 Veteran

Hey great set of photos , I to like the elephant photo. Looks real good in the afternoon light.
    Cheers Glen

12. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Nice! We're going back to Africa (6th trip, 3rd game viewing/photography trip) next summer; Tanzania for the migration. Your stuff is very inspirational.

I'd like to hear more about the circumstances of the first shot, the extreme close-up of (I think) a cheetah, and of the one with the zebra and the alligator. Was the zebra crossing the river and just had the bad luck to pick this landing point? Motor-drive mode to get the shot?

13. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    This was our first trip to Kenya. We usually go to South Africa. Glad we went in the November season of the little rains. Great variety of animals and you almost have the Mara to yourself.

The cheetah is one of the sub adult cubs of Malaika. Malaika is the daughter of Kike, a cheetah who featured in BBC’s Big Cat Diaries. Like her mother she is famous for her truck-jumping behaviour. She is passing this behaviour on to her cubs. That behavior is not safe for the cheetahs nor the humans in the safari trucks. Once day someone and/or a cheetah will get hurt. We did nothing to encourage the behavior. The cheetah use the trucks to look for game as the trucks are typically taller than any nearby termite mounds. Once they spotted game, Malaika and her 3 cubs went hunting. The shot is with a 40-150 Pro lens out the roof hatch when the cheetah was coming up the windshield. Lucky the AF caught the eyes. The nose was just too close to the lens.

The zebra had just crossed the Mara river and happened to swim to a shoreline with a large crocodile. Lucky for the zebra it was able to jump over the croc's gaping mouth and climb the bank. Many zebra were not so lucky. Using the term motor drive sounds like you used to shoot film. In today's digital cameras, there is no film to advance and so no drive motor needed. I usually shoot at 10FPS doing wildlife in action. I use a block of 9 focus points I can move around as needed plus center-weighted metering. I have a MySet specifically for wildlife and another for birds.

• Like Like x 2
  14. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Fun. Thanks. I am a real fan of tight head shots, but they are not easy to get with game in the wild.

Re "motor drive" guilty as charged. After many years with a Nikon MD-4 I still think of the digital mode that way although I know very well how they work. I figured that you must have been shooting that way as getting exactly that shot by anticipating it and one shutter click is pretty tough!

15. Islesfan91

Islesfan91 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2015
    very cool, really nice set of photos

the zebra and the croc is a fantastic shot! I really like all of these

16. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    sorry to be a party poop... but the closeup leopard disappoints... looks to me like a major crop... I would have led with the elephant and the giraffes.. to me they are stronger photos

K

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    None are crops with the exception of the cheetah face. I took a fraction off the right side to balance the face. It was shot when the cheetah was on the truck roof around 2 feet from my face. Likely I moved when I shot the leopard. It was moving around with its cubs through the brush and we had to grab a shot when we could. Sorry to have disappointed someone.

18. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Not me! Love it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

Pixel peepers are perverts... :biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    given the circumstances I am a little less disappointed :)

K