M43: new trick for an old dog...

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by jim251, Jan 18, 2014.

1. jim251

jim251 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 18, 2014
    VA USA
    Greetings to all on this forum.

I've looked around a lot and think this might be the right place for me, seeing lots of civility, mutual respect and genuine love of photography.

I've been taking photos off and on since 1970 when my 1st purchase with my 1st paycheck after college was for a shiny new Canon FTb - match-needle, button battery, Kodachrome and all (anyone?)

My personal photographic epiphany happened last August when I decided to leave the big bag of gear at home and instead take only my 3-day old RX100II on a getaway to Bermuda. The results were good, but the experience was awesome and I haven't looked at photography the same way since.

Some of that main gear is gone now and the rest is inching towards the door. I have recently bought cameras only to be let down and then immediately let them go to continue the search. Then, in a smart move on my part, I discovered rentals (!) and decided to take my time while hoping to fall in love...

Two weeks ago I spent a week with an E-M1+12-40mm+75mm and for the past week it has been a Pen E-P5+24mm+45mm. So I think my plan now is to order an E-M1 and some TBD lenses before the January pricing goes back up. A couple decisions yet to make but I do like the idea of travelling light...

So, all in all I'm about as excited about photography as I've ever been, maybe moreso.

More details as they unfold.

Best to all,
    • Like Like x 16
  2. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Welcome aboard :2thumbs:
  3. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Patrick Kristiansen
    Welcome, and congrats on your decision. Your reasoning is sound both regarding this forum and your choice of gear. I too find this forum a gentlemans ( and a few gentle women) forum, and learn something every time I stop by.
  4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Welcome aboard! I have enjoyed photography more than ever since discovering :43:. Enjoy!
  5. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    Welcome aboard, I have learnt alot and equally been inspired by this forum.
  6. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    Welcome to the fine forum that is mu-43 :smile:
  7. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

My first serious camera was a Nikomat FT, very similar to your Canon. Same needle meter, button battery but I usually shot Fuji films. I stuck with Nikon and still do but there are time when the gear is just too big and heavy. So I tried m4/3 and have been loving it since then. 90% of the time I use my PENS and not my Nikons.
  8. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    What's Kodachrome ? ;)

Welcome aboard mate.
  9. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    This really is a great place to discus and share photos with like minded people, welcome!
  10. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    What a lovely intro, welcome!
    You'll love it here, one of the most friendly, positive camera forums I've ever found.
  11. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Welcome to one of the nicest places on the web.

Still got my first camera (OM1N so few years later than yourself) things had not moved on though - not needle matching but getting the needle between the markers. Don't think I could part with it or my OM3 - they are almost part of the family.

Never got on with DSLR's but rediscovered the fun when someone placed an EM-5 with Oly 45mm in my hands about 15 months ago - still loving it.

I hope your EM-1 gives as you as much pleasure. You join the m4/3 appreciation group at a time where we appear to be spoilt for choices of good glass.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Jeff1:1

Jeff1:1 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 2, 2013
    Welcome to m4/3rds! I too sold my Minolta AF and Sony dslr & too many lenses for E-M5 and really like it. Less is definitely more. I still have my Canon F-1 & few lenses and occasionally shoot a role when it's sulking.
  13. jim251

jim251 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 18, 2014
    VA USA
    All righteee, thanks to all for a warm welcome!

So do you have to be here a while to issue a thank you for someone's post? I'm already in debt to a few who took the time to enlighten me...

It took me about 4 days with the E-M1 before I could conclude that it was about the best camera body I'd ever used. I'm really looking forward to it. The IBIS is just crazy-good, better that anything else I've used.

Again, thanks...
    • Like Like x 1
  14. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Took me over two weeks with the EM-5 just to settle on some custom settings to get really comfortable with it.
  15. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Not as far as I know. What are you using to view the forum (iphone, android, web)? This may help us guide you as to where to look for the thanks button.
  16. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    Love that signature quote :smile:
  17. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Thanks, RDM is a member here, and it was a post of his that I saw that.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Welcome to the forum, Jim!

We date from about the same era, my first 'real' camera was an Olympus Pen FT purchased new in 1969.

Glad you have you with us in the new generation of Pens.

19. Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank Photo Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    I like your decision making process, Jim. The em1 was the winner, but I hope you enjoyed your experience with the ep5, too. As far as tbd lenses are concerned, I hope you consider some fast primes. Imho they get the best out of the u4/3 sensors, and are surprisingly affordable.

After a certain number of posts, the thanks button will magically appear at the lower left of each post. I don't recall the exact number, but it was quite small.
  20. marcsitkin

marcsitkin Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Harwich, MA USA
    Marc Sitkin
    Welcome to a new world of photography. I too started with film cameras way back when, Having a lightweight kit has made a big difference to me as I've gotten older. It's much more fun to shoot when you're not aching at the end of the day!