1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

M43 L brackets?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by ~tc~, May 21, 2011.

1. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I know Kirk made them for the Pen and GF1, but none are showing up on their site or B&H ... Did they get discontinued? Are there other options?

2. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
  3. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    RRS makes them for E-P1/2, GF1 and GH1. Dunno if the latter fits GH2.

I use their Pen model which is perfect, and remains on the camera at all times. I also have their "universal" bracket designed for classic manual SLR's, which I used with the G1.
    Here's the Pen version:

E-P2_Foba.
    E-P2_nodal.

4. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

~tc~,

I have used Kirk hardware for over 30 years. When I bought my GH2 I wrote to Kirk Enterprises to purchase an L-bracket. They wrote back that they did not offer an L-bracket for the GH2. Subsequently, I ordered and am using the RRS L-bracket. To me, the cost of the RRS L-bracket is a ridiculously expensive $125 U.S. plus relatively high shipping and handling. Yes, this is well made and it soes fit the GH2. However, I do not see the RRS bracket and plates to be any better or worse than are the Kirk brackets and plates and most of the Kirk L-nrackets are $80 U.S. with relatively low shipping and handling charges. The problem is that RRS is the only game in town.

In my opinion and experience, RRS has positioned their gear at very high prices and they are very proud of what they sell I find that one can often save 20% to 80% buying other gear with no apparent loss in performance.

Best regards,
    Tom

5. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    You are absolutely, positively, 100% accurate in your statement.

6. tomrock

tomrock Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I agree about RRS, too. Although their stuff is excellent, how good does a plate need to be?

7. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Hey, cool down...
    I didn't say RRS is a friendly company. Which they ain't IMHO but I don't give a dam. Just stated what they have ready, and shared my opinion on what works. They do produce good stuff, with an impressive finish. Their price is what it is, as overpriced as any Gitzo's may appear to be. If I knew of a similar cheaper product to answer this thread question, I would have named it.
    And, on a business viewpoint, I'll just remind some of their products are exclusive, so why give them away? Too dear? Take your lathe and Dremmel, and do it better or cheaper. I'll be your first customer for a clean $60.- L-bracket for our cameras.

Regards
    Paul

8. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Which is maybe why Kirk doesn't make them any more ...