m43 is too slow for taking pictures of kids...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dixeyk, Apr 4, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dixeyk/7046726619/" title="Action Kid by dixeyk, on Flickr"> 7046726619_43e8743995_b. "1024" height="768" alt="Action Kid"></a>
    REALLY?

• Like Like x 14
  2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Okay, now do it with the E-P1 and the 17mm :biggrin: I've used SLRs very little, and don't really appreciate tracking AF. Maybe I would, I dunno. But S-AF on the modern m4/3 is fast enough that I can get some great shots...

3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Yes, you're correct....
    There is a significant difference in speed with the E-P3/E-PM1 in comparison to the E-P1.

4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    FWIW the image above was 1 shot with an E-P3 and the P20 (not the fastest lens by any means). I saw my son making for the steps and I figured what was coming so I just snapped it. Granted the E-P3 makes it whole lot easier but I bet I could do it with my E-P1 and P20 (don't have a 17). It'll take some practice...but I'm sure I can do it.

5. Fred49

Fred49 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010
    FRance
    slow m43

with my first m4/3 camera ( not yet replaced but em5 preordered )

kit lens AF : awful
    20mm : still tons of missed photos due to AF
    14-150 : good enough for my 5 years old if outside
    45mm and 25mm problem solved indoor too

i had too many "unique" indoor moments of my son totaly blurred because of theAF with the 20mm i nearly bought an EP3.
    the 25 and 45mm helped me waiting for the em-5

6. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Nice picture!

I think generally m4/3 is really fast, but it doesn't do well handling dogs not to mention indoor shooting. I've been wondering if I should get the GX1 for AFF and short shutter lag and 25 1.4 lens for more light, costly though. IMO GX1 with 25 1.4 can make it perfect.

7. Declan97

Declan97 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    Padang, Indonesia
    then i had no clue for tomorrow hunt using epl1+14-54 MK II+Zuiko OM 65-200

jawi2.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Great shots, Kevin and Declan!

With this type of thread, there is always going to be someone who points out that DSLRs are still superior for AF tracking, and that is certainly the case. That said, I took plenty of kids in action shots with my DSLRs and hardly ever used the AF tracking modes on those cameras. Even with my D700, which had superb AF tracking, I preferred to use AF-S (Single) rather than AF-C (Continuous) and prefocus as needed. The same technique works great with MFTs.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Declan97

Declan97 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    Padang, Indonesia
    Will do that amin, seems it might be a great opportunity to rise this epl1 tomorrow

Sent from my GT-I9100 using EP-L1|E-3

10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Prefocusing and zone focusing are extremely useful techniques with kids, but the single shot AF without tracking is getting so fast with our cameras that it can often do the trick unless the subject is moving very fast towards/away from the camera.

For example, here is my son riding his scooter directly at me at a medium speed (cross posted from another thread):

7043448807_b47738edfa_o.

No focus tracking involved. I just pointed the GF3 and squeezed.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Declan97

Declan97 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    Padang, Indonesia
    Awesome, hopefully the unlimited af on epl1 will be usefull. Either I had to come earlier to look after the right spot

Sent from my GT-I9100 using EP-L1|E-3

12. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Hi Amin, I'm just curious do I have to choose GX1 over G3 for the AFF feature, any help tracking pets?

I have been struggling between those two, and first of all I don't care about the size since I have GF3; they say G3 and GX1 have got the same sensor but GX1 denoises stronger and retains less detail; then GX1 has got the orientation sensor and 1080p and IMO better handling with bounce off flash but G3 has got higher GN built-in flash and EVF/tilt screen and lower price, help me choose please, I'm not looking forward to G5 except for better look than G3's.

13. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    I too have kids, and I have an E-PL2. Yes, got a number of missed shots, but not deal-breakers. And I've found that pre-focusing indeed does the trick.

Here's a recent shot I took (again I posted this over at another thread). My daughter was swinging - and not the slow swing too - and I wanted to take a picture of just her legs hanging. So I crouched and took my position, pre-focused, and waited. Yes, I did a couple of shots as insurance, but not spray and pray. Maybe total of three shots. The other two shots were still good, this one just happens to have the legs where I want them to be - just on the right side. You know, rule of thirds thingy. Here's what I got with the E-PL2 and the "slow" Panny 20.

6897432468_28c42784ba_c.

The E-PL3's current price does tempt me, and I just might bite. In any case though, it's pretty much knowing your camera, and learning to live with its limitations. The X100 is not a bestseller because of its AF. :wink:

• Like Like x 2
  14. bluebubbleboy

bluebubbleboy Mu-43 Regular

Aug 12, 2011
    Colorado
    Kids are my main subjects, which is one reason I got into photography in the first place; to take photos of my kids while they're still young!

I came from a Pentax K-x, and my current setup seems to lock focus faster than the K-x. At any rate, here are a couple of shots. I do admit indoors in tight spaces I have a hard time getting keepers of my little energetic subjects, but I still find the AF on :43: sufficient for what I need.

GF3, Pana 14-42
    P1000861.

GF3, Oly 45
    P1000424.

• Like Like x 6
  15. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    With m43, it simply takes more skill/patience/endurance/determination to get action shots, quite often, all of the above. I applaud all you moms and dads.

16. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    To be fair, the kids in the background of that first pic in this thread are painted on the wall. :wink:

Great pics!

17. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    As far as I know, GX1 and G3 have the same AF capabilities. Pana refers to both having Light Speed AF and the press kits say 0.1s AF for G3 and 0.09s AF for GX1. Personally I would choose between them based on looks and feel as well as need for integrated EVF and articulated LCD.

• Like Like x 1
  18. blaffendespin

blaffendespin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2012
    Rexburg, ID
    These are all great pics! I have an E-PM1, and have found it to work just fine for my little one's - and they are by no means slow :smile: Even with my old E-PL1, I was able to get some great action shots with the right adjustments.

19. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    This was from way across the park, using the 100-300mm, at golden hour.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/debit72/6882590274/" title="Sister Swing by debit72, on Flickr"> 6882590274_95ce8a6567_z. "640" height="640" alt="Sister Swing"></a>

• Like Like x 4
  20. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Good point :smile: - now counter-point:

The techniques detailed in this thread are great for us experienced folks - but if you're brand new moving up from a cell phone or point & shoot, then I'd recommend an E-PM1 or E-P3 to the individual vice one of the first generation digital PENs.