1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

M43 in asain countries

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by LegacyLens, Jun 12, 2012.

1. LegacyLens

LegacyLens Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2012
    In Japan all I EVER see is m43 and nikon and a few leica users there are MORE leica users than canon here. I guess the Japanese have a more opened mind. Im asking to know about the m43 status in your area.

Manual focus, the lost trade.

2. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    Not many micro four thirds users here in India, but the OM-D has brought in the awareness. A lot of people want to buy that camera.

3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Virtually unknown here in my corner of Pennsylvania (US). Electronic store employees look at you like your from another planet if you ask about :43:. We don't have many camera stores, so I haven't tried those yet.

4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Los Angeles has a pretty good M43 following. Still nowhere as big as Nikon and Canon.

5. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    Seattle is a gadget town- although I usually see Nikon + Canon mostly. Occasionally I see Pentax as well. Rarely I'll see another µ4/3 user- which I always have to stop and stare (so they probably think I'm creepy).

6. mowog6000

mowog6000 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    Oregon City Oregon
    Pat bailey
    I think most people today don't even know what an SLR is or why they were made in the first place and it's hyped as a better camera simply because it's an SLR. My son in law thinks just because he has a Rebel and it's an SLR it makes him a photographer.
    We are seeing with mirrorless cameras you don't need a mirror to see just what you are shooting. Even Oly with its OM-D has to put a faux pentaprism on it to make it look like an SLR !

7. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    M4/3 is big in HK, as it is in other developed Asian cities. You'll find as many Olympus commercials on TV or on the street as you do Canon commercials...

8. I've seen quite a few in Malaysia this year, but it is mostly Canon & Nikon also. Definitely a growing class of camera tho, as 12 months ago there was none to be seen in Malaysia, and only a couple of shops stocking them. Now, there is a m43 in every shop, I even found the Panny AG-100 videocam stocked in one shop!

9. pcnyc

pcnyc Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2010
    I went to shanghai china two years ago, and in 2 weeks I've only seen one olympus camera, and I was using it. ok, I take it back, I did see some display models in a store, but then I had to really ask around (i.e. the canon and nikon reps) to find the olympus section. Going there again soon, i'll see if things changed in two years.

10. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I think the people here in China rather go for low end DSLR instead of compact systems so that to show off, but both NEX and M43 are trending, people will get to know about compact systems once they see their favourite soap stars carrying them.

11. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    All I ever seem to run across is DSLRs (Canon mostly, few Nikons), point and shoots cameras, and cell phones - particularly the iPhone. When I was in New Zealand and Australia I do recall seeing at least a couple NEX cameras, but I still can't recall ever running across another m4/3 user.

12. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    Last time I went over to China I realized one thing. The showing off is the main issue with them. So many of my friends from china start off with a leica (they're rich and I am not). In most cases they don't know the first thing about using it. They end up taking pictures of themselves and the Leica with their iPhone, putting it up on their blogs while the camera collects dust. I'm not saying all are like that but I have a lot of friends from China who are...

13. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    that couldn't be more real. I hate the showing off part and I just want to take good photos, but some people see me as "different" once I take out my camera. China is an undeveloped country with huge gap between rich and poor across the land, and something is considered remarkable simply because people have little experience with it, btw if I want something to show off I hope it could be dozens of languages I can speak, if I can:rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    In Steeler Country, m43 ......... wuzzz zat

• Like Like x 1
  15. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I was in Wuzhen (the Venice of China) recently and I intentionally looked to see what brand of cameras everyone was using. Canon, Canon, Canon. I went for hours before I spotted a Nikon. By the end of the day I'd seen 5, versus nearly 1000 Canons. It wasn't quite that pronounced in Shanghai, but still mostly Canon. In Beijing and at the Great Wall it was more like 50/50 Canon/Nikon. I saw one Nikon 1 J1 in two weeks of travel.

m43 was nowhere to be seen except the one I was carrying, and the OM-D, E-M5 I was able to try out at the Xing Guang camera market (they have two Olympus shops). I didn't buy it because of the 30% premium versus the US list price.

For that matter, I've not seen any being used here in the US either, but I was asked once last year in Norman, Oklahoma if it was a Pen that I was carrying when I had the E-PL1 with me.

16. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    That's what I see all the Chinese tourists use in Hong Kong. The locals seem pretty evenly split between Canon, Nikon, Sony, Panasonic & Olympus, even though I suspect many of the m4/3 users also own a Canon or Nikon. Lately, I am seeing a lot more E-M5 on the street than any other m4/3 cameras though...

17. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I own a full Canon setup (because they were first to market an affordable DSLR and I do love the ergonomics and lens lineup) as well as a MFT kit (slowly growing in size). It's a pretty even split between Canon and Nikon DSLRs here, although system cameras are increasingly popular. The relatively low price of entry (look at the entry level Canon and Nikon kits) for at least equivalent image quality (the E-M5 and G3 leveled the field somewhat, but the former is hardly 'affordable') and perceptions about what constitutes a 'proper' camera remain.

Almost all stores here have a reasonable selection of mirrorless stuff - big chains all carry NEX, Samsung and MFT lines (full selection of bodies, more limited selection of glass), but I still see more DSLRs on the street than much of anything else.

18. RussellOlaguer

RussellOlaguer Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2012
    Paranaque, Philippines
    Russell Olaguer
    Here in Japan, most old people have either Nikon or Canon DSLR. Youngsters mostly have M43s, Sony, or iPhone. I think small cameras are now "in" here. I think they also use these cute little cameras as fashion statement. Cameras here are full of accesories and dress ups. :)

19. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    Yeah we need more of the dress up here in Canada! Heck i just found out that the pentax Q folowing is huge in japan! We need more diversity!

20. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Here in auckland, new zealand you hardly see any m43 walking through the city though almost every store around the city carries bunch of m43 gear.