m43 - I can't quit ya

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
Yeah Fuji have the same situation with many of their faster primes, that they dont have WR, not even theire wide angle zoom XF10-24 f4 is weather seald.

Olympus is the only manufacture i fully trust when it comes to the weather seal, have not yet seen any other manufacture that let reviewers shower/drain the cameras/lenses in water.
To be fair, they do have the 8-16 f/2.8 WR, but it's huge...

Pluttis

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Peter
To be fair, they do have the 8-16 f/2.8 WR, but it's huge...

Still the XF10-24 f4 is a 1000 dollar lens...

Yeah thats true....not only huge and heavy, its a fantastic lens but allso really expensive

Danny.

Just me
Real Name
Danny
I like them all, APS-C, FF and m4/3. I love the different crop factors for certain areas and subjects using the same lenses. I can't imagine being without one or the other. M4/3 is just one nice format.

All the best.

Danny.

Gromit

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Richard
I've gone off the rails a couple of times - never fully abandoned M43, but got close to doing so. Did the 'Fuji thing' about 7 years ago which, with the original X100, got me off the DSLR (Canon) treadmill. I'd always been a Nikon man back in 35mm days, and still have a great affection for their wares and had a D700 lurking at home for 5 years now (it was at one time my 'mainstay').

Dabbled with Sony - first go was with an A7II, which nearly put me off photography. Went to an A7RII - awesome IQ, dreadful UI. To quote the great Hugh Brownstone 'a camera with ergos only its mother would love'. RIII was a bit better but still didn't do enough to convince me, even with its incredible AF. As a professional photographer friend of ours (who works for the RAF, doing airborne photography amongst other awesome projects) said about Sony 'designed by engineers, not photographers'.

I'm now fully back to M43, loving it, and genuinely feeling (£/lb for £/lb) it offers a package that's hard to beat. I'm also a fan of Fuji but find it offers little over M43, and whilst the X-H1 is the best of the Fuji bunch for feel (I have large hands) it still doesn't 'do it' in the way the E-M1.2 does.

I still have my D700 though - 'cold dead hands' that one. It's old, it's noisy, heavy, bulky, but the images from that glorious 12MP sensor make it worthwhile. It's a great side order to M43. :)

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
I think I've been with m4/3s for a decade now... Last summer I was intrigued by the Sony FF but... I went to a local store and tried one in my hands and that's it. No more FF "envy". The better IQ isn't worth the extra weight (compared to my E-M5 setup). Perfectly happy with this format and once the next generation sensor with better DR and noise handling comes, I'm set for the next decade or so. :)

mumu

Mu-43 All-Pro
I was shooting baseball today with two of my students.
One was complaining about the lack of reach with the 70-300 on his APS-C camera.
So I set my 75-300 at 300 and had him look through the camera.
He was surprised by the tight image, which he did not have on his camera, and the small size of the lens.
He did not understand the crop factor difference. How a 300 on my camera gave a much tighter image than the 300 on his camera, and his 300 was physically bigger.
For him to duplicate the FoV of the 75-300 on a m4/3, he would need the bigger/heavier 150-600. And that lens would need to be shot from a monopod, to support the weight.
That is why I shifted to m4/3 :biggrin:
Minor nitpick: Since it was an APS-C camera, it might only need something like a 100-400 to duplicate the range as your 75-300.

rezatravilla

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Reza Travilla
Same here. I love EM5 II. This is the most balance camera i ever has. Well, except for photo sports event. I use Nikon D300s with 70-200mm instead.

Overall, EM5 II helps me to cut post processing hugely. Have been using Nikon D800, tested A7R A7RIII A7RIV and A9...their colour were sucks. Especially Nikon D800. Not so reliable AWB and i don't like huge megapixel. Makes my mac slower.
With EM5 II mostly i just do minor editing such cropping. The colour already fantastic.

JensM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
As screename
Quit it.... or I will change my mind on selling my Pen-F and end up keeping it. It really needs a new home where someone will use it.

Just keep it, you know you will regret it, if you sell that instant classic. Please dont.

Best regards
Enablerman
:biggrin:

ArizonaMike

Mu-43 Top Veteran
$650 for a Pen-F body might seem a lot,

No, that seems like very little. The PEN-F body currently is being sold for $999 by the big box and dedicated online electronics stores (BestBuy, Adorama, BHPhotoVideo, etc) so I have to ask where you got one for $650.

As for M4/3, I used to shoot with Canon gear. First a basic Canon DSLR, then a 7D, then a FF 5D3. My wife and I go hiking and one day, after climbing back out of one of the deep canyons at Bryce Canyon National Park with the 5D3 and lenses I told myself - Never Again. I traded for an Olympus M1.2 and have never regretted the change. I love the camera and when I decided to buy a second camera I went straight to the Olympus offerings. Never even thought about Sony let alone Canon or Nikon.

Real Name
Chris
My eye keeps getting distracted by the Nikon Z6 and that 24-70 f4 lens. It does not look much bigger than the Oly EM1-mk2 with a 12-40 and I would like to try that big sensor for some astro shots.

This week I was at a camera store event and got to hold the Nikon w/24-70 for a while and was able to make up my mind. That thing was built like a tank. This might be a good thing but I immediately got the feeling that I would not want to carry it on the travels that I have been on and plan to be on. Call me lazy but I like a lighter setup and m43 is good enough for me.

I left the store with more m43 gear. Looks like I'm not leaving m43 either.

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
My eye keeps getting distracted by the Nikon Z6 and that 24-70 f4 lens. It does not look much bigger than the Oly EM1-mk2 with a 12-40 and I would like to try that big sensor for some astro shots.

This week I was at a camera store event and got to hold the Nikon w/24-70 for a while and was able to make up my mind. That thing was built like a tank. This might be a good thing but I immediately got the feeling that I would not want to carry it on the travels that I have been on and plan to be on. Call me lazy but I like a lighter setup and m43 is good enough for me.

I left the store with more m43 gear. Looks like I'm not leaving m43 either.

The sneaky thing is the Z6 and 24-70/4 lens might be relatively small.
BUT, put on a longer or faster zoom, and size and weight goes UP.

Vermont3133

A New Lens Will Fix It!
Real Name
Stu
Still the XF10-24 f4 is a 1000 dollar lens...

Yeah thats true....not only huge and heavy, its a fantastic lens but allso really expensive
It feels like a body cap after using the Fuji 50-140 f/2.8 ?
It's almost my favourite lens but it should have been WR.
But the comparison between pro quality standard and short tele zoom lenses is where M43 looks good.
Compared to the 16-55mm f/2.8 [aptly named, not too affectionately, the brick...and unstabilized] the Oly 12-45 is virtually half the size and half the price.
Similarly the difference in size, weight and price of the Fuji 50-140 compared to the Pana 35-100 is ridiculous....the Pana weighs 360g and the Fuji 995g

Pluttis

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Peter
It feels like a body cap after using the Fuji 50-140 f/2.8 ?
It's almost my favourite lens but it should have been WR.
But the comparison between pro quality standard and short tele zoom lenses is where M43 looks good.
Compared to the 16-55mm f/2.8 [aptly named, not too affectionately, the brick...and unstabilized] the Oly 12-45 is virtually half the size and half the price.
Similarly the difference in size, weight and price of the Fuji 50-140 compared to the Pana 35-100 is ridiculous....the Pana weighs 360g and the Fuji 995g

Yeah XF10-24 f4 is small and light compared to 50-140 f2.8 but same cant be said to 8-16 f/2.8 WR...its massive and basically same weight as 50-140 f2.8.

True...personally i thik its the Oly 12-40 f2.8 that should be compared to the Fuji 16-55 f2.8...Oly 12-45 f4 is basically same size as Fuji 18-55.

Latest threads

Top Bottom