m43 - I can't quit ya

WT21

Super Moderator
The Fuji XT4 just came out. It looks like a fine, fine camera, based on the reviews I watched. It has lots that I'd love to have. The Nikon Z6, I keep staring at, too.

But instead, I just plunked down $800 for a Pen-F + lens combo -- a camera that's going on 4 years old this year.

Why? I just can't let go of the value proposition of m43. The size, the availability and pricing ($650 for a Pen-F body might seem a lot, but not when compared to the latest cameras!), the maturity of the lens offerings.

Yes, all the energy is elsewhere, but the value, fit and utility for me, is m43.

I DO wish someone would up-rev the sensor. I don't need more than 20MP (though I'd take 22 or 24), but faster readout, better AF in the lower end cameras, and more DR would be great.

If the bulk of everyone goes to Fuji or FF, I'll still be here until my m43 stops working.

Last edited:
I have dabbled with Fuji and Sony, but still only keep mft. The Fuji was a couple years ago with an X-E2. I had it for a few weeks, but just did not like the handling of the camera. I sold it off for the Sigma 30 1.4 and towards a camera backpack. This past Christmas I bought a used A7ii from KEH. I had it for about 10 days before I decided that I just didn't care for it. The images it created were very nice, but the overall package was just not worth it. I returned it and traded in a couple lenses to help pay for my 12-40PRO.

Mft just hits the sweet spot for me.

Last edited:

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
All that and the fact that I am so invested in the lens system. I've tried a couple of Nikons and a Sony, although in all fairness probably not long enough to form a valid opinion. Still, those that I've tried just don't add up for me. The ergonomics of the G9 are exemplary and well worth the size some complain about, it just feels like 'home' when I pick it up. It'd be nice to have an updated sensor but my cameras' abilities far outpace my own anyway.

tonyturley

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I just bought a mint Pen F myself, one with only 400 shutter clicks. I've been back and forth between MFT and Fuji several times. I rented a Pen F when they first came out back in 2016, but I didn't want to spend that much on a camera. Fast forward to 2020, and I found this one for 1/2 the original price. The only lenses I have for it are the 17mm 1.8 and an adapted Pen F 38 1.8. I retired recently, so I'm hoping this will be a long term investment for me.

RevBob

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I shot Fuji, then Canon, then moved to Olympus M4/3. I've never looked back. I have better lenses (mostly primes) and all of the accessories focused on this system. I'm too old to retool the entire system and I couldn't afford to if I wanted to try. I really like the M4/3 system, I understand the Olympus menus and control set - it makes photography enjoyable for me and I like the quality of the photos that I get. I'm saving up to buy an OMD EM-10 Mark III to take on a trip to England, Scotland and Ireland in the Fall. I'm here for the long run.

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
Have own several cameras and lenses from most of the manufacturers, after years of switching systems back forth i came to the conclusion that the most important things for me is feel of and joy to use the camera/lenses...for me its the m43 system that brings me those things.

XT-4 seems to be a really good package for the money...but every camera in the price range 1600-2000 dollars nowadays have similar specs so it basically comes down to which sensor format/system you prefer.

Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman
I've been an Olympus fan since the 1970s, when I bought my first new camera, an OM-2.

I suffered through the 4/3rds days out of loyalty, but the bodies were big and clunky. It bothered me that I couldn't fit as much gear in my bag as I could with the film OM-System.

Then µ4/3rds came out, and I "interviewed" them, but old habits and aging eyes made me totally resistant to a "chimp" camera.

Then the OM-D line came out, and I sat on my hands for a while, not wanting to jump in if Olympus was just going to abandon it in short order.

Then the OM-D E-M1 Mark II came out, and it was love at first sight. It hit all the check boxes for me, plus it worked with my old 4/3rds lenses. (I've actually bought more 4/3rds glass since then than I did when I only had 4/3rds bodies, including three of the superb SHG lenses!)

My brother's wife tells him, "You can read the menu all you want, but do all your eating at home."

That's how I'm feeling about Olympus. Her cooking is great, she's pretty loyal back at me (not switching mounts and sensor formats and such), and she's as good in the sack as she is walking down the street. We go out and stare at the stars together. We go for long walks on beaches and forests. We enjoy time together with friends and family. She doesn't demand a lot of new clothing and jewelry, and looks as good in a 30-year-old OM-System 350mm ƒ/2.8 as she does in a brand new PRO lens.

Sometimes I check out a great figure walking by, and think, "Hmmm… wonder what THAT would be like?" Then I return to my home cooking, and the mystery of talents not yet fully explored. (We have a Live Composite date coming up soon some starry night.:))

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Sold my Nikon gear and never looked back (had some health issue in which M43 kept me shooting). Even the stuff like the Pany 14 GWC1, Simga 30 f2.8, and Oly 75-300II that I bought early on are keepers. I keep thinking I might upgrade my Gx85 to a Gx10 but maybe not. M43 as long as Oly or Pany is in business, and at 70 that will probably be my lifetime. It's the size of the lens not the bodies for me, when I travel with my Oly 9-18 and 75-300 or 35-100 f4/5.6 and Gx85 its a system for the weight of one 24-70 f2.8 zoom. With HighRes on the G9 and good lenses like the 12-35 or PL100-400 its like having a view camera for stills and landscapes. And thinking about it, if I only had my travel kit I'd be happy:)

Is it me or are the weather resistant lenses for the Fujifilm X mount primes smaller than micro four third primes? This is one of the reasons I am looking at an X-T4 someday.

For now I'll probably switch my Olympus 25mm pro for a PL 25mm 1.4 II and call it a day.

Might be a little OOT but I haven't fully understood yet why Fuji is often seen as upgrade/competing path for m43 by m43 users but other MLC DX systems don't get that love or attention. Sony and Canon to some extent both have great APSC systems although Canon does seem a dead end system. Is it the looks, retro feel and controls because ergonomics aren't great either except may be X-H1?

JensM

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
As screename
I have never looked back, after getting my first M43 set-up in 2016. That is to the tune of not having any interest outside it, other than occasional glances towards the Fujifilm medium formats, and that is probably because I have never owned any medium format and have lusted for it since back in the analog days.

I have looked on the TG6 though, and a couple of other compacts, for a pocketable daily camera as I haven't warmed to the phone camera for "serious" photo tasks. Not that the phone I have dont produce nice images, it does but I dont like the handling.

I have tried it for going on 3 years now, and have made the occasional good shot, but it leaves something to be desired. A weather sealed GM sized camera with one of the tiny primes or an upgraded WS 12-32 is but a pipe dream, so looking at other possibilites. :)

WT21

Super Moderator
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Might be a little OOT but I haven't fully understood yet why Fuji is often seen as upgrade/competing path for m43 by m43 users but other MLC DX systems don't get that love or attention. Sony and Canon to some extent both have great APSC systems although Canon does seem a dead end system. Is it the looks, retro feel and controls because ergonomics aren't great either except may be X-H1?
I think it's because only Fuji offers a complete system engineered for their sensor size (Sony is a small sensor in a large system (same direction as Nikon Z50), and Canon orphaned their pretty solid start right out of the gate).

Lenses. Sony, Canon and Nikon simply do not have the dedicated mirrorless APSC lenses. Their top tier bodies all seem pretty great (I really like that Canon M6ii), but they just don't have the dedicated glass. Sony has the best lineup, but it still isn't as great as mft or Fuji.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
For me, as a senior citizen, it was "reduce the kit weight, or stop shooting."
So I went from APS-C to m4/3. And that weight issue has, so far, kept me from go up from APS-C to FF.
The weight and bulk/size reduction makes it a LOT easier to carry to/from a shoot, and when shooting a LONG 5+ hour shoot or going on a 2 week vacation.
Now when I pick up my heavy dSLR, I have second thoughts about using it, even where it does the job better.

I have been AMAZED at how far into an image I have been able to crop, with the 12-100, and still have a reasonable image.
That is a remarkable lens.

My only beef is that ALL of the Olympus zooms that I have and have tried, have a STIFF zoom ring. That might be fine for ocasional shooting, but when I shoot sports for 5+ hours, constantly turning a stiff zoom ring literally gets tiring. In contrast, the zoom ring on my Panasonic 12-60 is EASY to turn, and THAT is how the Olympus zoom rings should be.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Yep - totally agree. For 99% of people the IQ of m43 is plenty good enough, esp with top quality glass. Then the other factors come in - size, weight, cost, IBIS, tons of fancy features (Live Comp/time, ProCapture, hi- res, focus stacking etc), lens range, ...

FF is s hard sell once you accept that m43 IQ is good enough.

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
I'm there with the rest of you. I definitely wish the DR were better, but in everything else, it's just too easy and too useable. I held off buying a new M4/3 body for a long time, considering fixed lens cameras like the Sigma DP2, or any other sort of system, but in the end the 20mm f1.7 that I just couldn't part with was staring me in the face, and I ordered a GX9. Jack of all trades, master perhaps of none, but you just can't beat the versatility.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I was shooting baseball today with two of my students.
One was complaining about the lack of reach with the 70-300 on his APS-C camera.
So I set my 75-300 at 300 and had him look through the camera.
He was surprised by the tight image, which he did not have on his camera, and the small size of the lens.
He did not understand the crop factor difference. How a 300 on my camera gave a much tighter image than the 300 on his camera, and his 300 was physically bigger.
For him to duplicate the FoV of the 75-300 on a m4/3, he would need the bigger/heavier 150-600. And that lens would need to be shot from a monopod, to support the weight.
That is why I shifted to m4/3 :biggrin:

Update, my math was wrong. 300mm on m4/3 = 400mm on APS-C

Last edited:

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Real Name
Randy
Unless it’s for a living, just how good does your setup need to be? Like a post above, the G9 checks all my boxes, and my kit is light enough to carry all day in a small backpack. I don’t plan on going anywhere, as I’m happy with my results. If your camera makes you want to get out and shoot, it’s done a big part of its job! :)

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
Is it me or are the weather resistant lenses for the Fujifilm X mount primes smaller than micro four third primes? This is one of the reasons I am looking at an X-T4 someday.

For now I'll probably switch my Olympus 25mm pro for a PL 25mm 1.4 II and call it a day.
That's a matter of philosophy - the current situation is only because Olympus and Panasonic haven't prioritised slower WR lenses thus far. With the likes of WR 12-45, 12-60, 12-100, 14-140 II, 14-150 II, 100-300 II, we're starting to see that change.

Having said that, if you compare WR zooms it's a totally different story - X mount WR zooms are huge in comparison.

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
That's a matter of philosophy - the current situation is only because Olympus and Panasonic haven't prioritised slower WR lenses thus far. With the likes of WR 12-45, 12-60, 12-100, 14-140 II, 14-150 II, 100-300 II, we're starting to see that change.

Having said that, if you compare WR zooms it's a totally different story - X mount WR zooms are huge in comparison.
Yeah Fuji have the same situation with many of their faster primes, that they dont have WR, not even theire wide angle zoom XF10-24 f4 is weather seald.

Olympus is the only manufacture i fully trust when it comes to the weather seal, have not yet seen any other manufacture that let reviewers shower/drain the cameras/lenses in water.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom