m43 fisheye

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by newfie, Feb 19, 2015.

1. newfie

newfie Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2015
    Canada
    Ian
    Was thinking of picking up a fisheye but I don't want to spend much. I've researched a few online (this site included) such as:

bower/rokinon
    9mm body cap (maybe more of a toy?)
    Peleng

Anyone have experience with said lenses or other suggestions?

2. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    The 9mm is somewhat better than a toy, but it is extremely limited at f8. Basically in m4/3 most of the time we don't use f8 at all, plus being an ultrawide it's got more DOF at larger apertures than otherwise, so the f8 limitation serves no purpose other than to be fantastically irritating whenever you want to shoot in lower light conditions. Save yourself the frustration and get the 7.5mm.

3. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    It depends on how much you think you'll use the lens, if not sure, then the body cap lens is a cheap way to see if you like such, and, notwithstanding the limitation mentioned above, can take respectable photos. As a body cap lens it's super-portable. I picked up a used Rokinon/Samyang/Bower 7.5mm and it has turned out to be one of my favorite lenses. Not familiar with the Peleng.

4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    The Samyang 7.5 is superb. Small, nice build and extremely sharp. You can't go wrong for the money.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    I love my little BCL. It's not a toy. Is it a great lens? No, optically it is not great but it's not bad either, depending on what your demands are. Yes, it's a great lens because it's always with me, it's cheap and it's good enough for most of my shooting. I've seen some fantastic stuff and some bad stuff from this lens but it's more about who's behind the camera...
    Sure, it would be nice to have variable aperture but then you pay more and carry more (or not at all).

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Google shows some of the Pelengs are Circular Fisheye, which could give a very different view.
    Look at the top of the picture of this one: http://www.amazon.com/Belomo-Fisheye-Peleng-Olympus-Panasonic/dp/B003EPX050
    However, one of the reviews there says it's "full-frame" and has a 160degree FoV. Doesn't sound good compared to the Samyang/Rokinon.

I love my 9mm BCL, mainly because it's tiny so I can take it anywhere. I'd still use my 8mm ZD fisheye for real estate interiors.

Barry

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I like the BCL as well. One nice thing about it, it takes the profile for a Sigma 10mm fish nicely to De-Fish.

Portraits (001 of 002).

Portraits (002 of 002).

• Like Like x 1
  8. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I did have the Rokinon/Samyang/Bower 7.5mm (the Rokinon version). There is nothing wrong with that either.

9. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    The Rokinon is an amazing little lens, much sharper than I expected.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Talanis

Talanis Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    • Like Like x 5
  11. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I just saw the Samyang mounted on a Fuji, it's much smaller than I expected.

edit: this one was f2.8, so probably different than the m43 versions.

Barry

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  12. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Olympus also has a high quality Fisheye converter for their 14-42mm II kit lens. It costs almost as much as a used Samyang, though, and isn't nearly as wide.

Same story with Panasonic who has an adapter for their 14-42 PZ and 14mm f2.5 pancakes.

Just throwing those out there for completeness, even though I'm personally planning on getting the Samyang.

13. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
  14. tkbslc

The smaller sensor of 4/3 and very slightly slower aperture allowed them to make a more compact lens for m4/3. The difference is that the MFT version is about 2/3 the size and weight.

Focal length is deceiving with fisheyes. I would just look for specs on angle of view. Most "real" fisheyes are 170-180 degrees. Both the 7.5mm on m4/3 and the 8mm on APS-C give 180 degrees.

If they had just used the same design for both sensors, the angle of view would only be 140 degrees on the smaller 2x crop m4/3 sensor. A different design was required.

15. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    @tkbslc@tkbslc, thanks.

According to the mu-43 lens list I linked above, Samyang/Rok are selling both the 7.5 and 8mm for mu-43 mount, both f3.5; is that right?
    http://hazeghi.org/mft-lenses.html

The 8mm is listed as much larger.

Barry

16. tkbslc

The 8mm f3.5 was designed for DSLR mounts. It is available for m4/3, but I can't imagine why anyone would buy it. It's basically a DSLR lens with a built in mount adapter to pad the depth difference between m4/3 and DSLR. This means it is a very long lens and also has a cropped FOV.

If you look at the specs table you'll see that the m4/3 version is about 30mm longer than the others and only has a 140 degree view after the crop factor: http://www.syopt.com/en/camera/photo-lenses-8mm-F3.5-UMC-FISH-EYE.php

7.5mm is the one to get.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    I got the 7.5 Rokinon also, for the price I'm pretty darned happy with it.

18. MadMarco

MadMarco Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Guildford, England
    This ^^^

16488734661_ba4bfb3f6f_b.
    Love the Samyang 7.5mm Fish-Eye

19. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    Without question, the samyang 7.5mm!
    I bought one without ever owning a fisheye and love the damn thing!
    It's really sharp, easy to use (you don't need AF) and pretty damn small.
    Just remember to keep your fingers/feet out of shot, you'll have a blast ;)

This is taken in the French Alps with it:
    1556382_10152320788912176_496186246_o.

• Like Like x 5
  20. bomo

bomo Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2014
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Wayne
    I've used the Rokinon 7.5mm fe for a while now. One thing I expected was the ability to focus past infinity. Not that it's necessary but it seems everything I shoot is right at the infinity mark unless the object is very close. It just makes me wonder if the lens is truly focusing there or if it might be a little sharper I had the ability to go past the focus mark. I recently picked up a 12-40 f2.8 and that lens goes well beyond infinity.

16399280619_706843a62b_s. Reading room corner view by wgbny, on Flickr

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
    • Like Like x 1