m43 faster zoom

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by jbart, Nov 24, 2010.

1. jbart

jbart Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    Ottawa
    I agree that the Olympus 14-42 is a good zoom lens however, I would be very interested in this lens for m43: 12-60mm/f2.8-4 Zuiko
    Has anyone tried the 43 version on a pen?
    E5 vs D700--tests - The GetDPI Photography Forums

When will Olympus start making more of these types of lens for PENs?
    I'm really hoping Olympus continues as they did with 4/3 to make a very high quality system camera. Even the E5 is an excellent example of their commitment to the 43 camera users as obviously most of the sales in the past year for all companies have been for Mirrorless cameras (maybe except Nikon and Canon).

Just my thought for the day.

2. JohnF

JohnF Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2010
    Oberursel, Germany
    Hi -

I've used it on my EP1 with good results. I've got the Panasonic 4/3-->m4/3 adapter.

Handling-wise, you're dealing with a large lens attached to a small body. It works, but it takes some getting used to. But it's a lot better than the 70-300 in comparison. :)

JohNF

3. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    John

How does this lens AF on the Pen (been considering it) I don't shoot action only flowers or buildings

I believe it hunts a little before focus lock, you do of course have manual focus mechanical (not by wire)

I don't mind the weight at all I use a PL14-150 which is bib and heavy and it Ok on the Pens

4. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    I think Olympus see the m43 Pens (and Panasonic too) as compact light cameras for general use and alternative to clumsy DSLR so all the lenses so far are light and compact for the zoom range.

The Kit lenses are very small and light.

I do think they should design some fast zooms large as they might, be but I think they will only do this (Oly and Pany) if they have a large pro m43 body in the future more along the lines of a DSLR in shape

Mind you big lenses do work on the Pens I use them.

The other thing too is cost a fast zoom of quality from Oly or Pany is going to cost ~$2000 -$3000 and there lenses would not be for people that just want a compact m43 system but advanced/ pro users would.

Only recourse are 43 lenses with m43 > 43 adaptor and some AF issues

5. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

I had the 12-60 and it was wonderful on my E-3. It is not optimised for CDAF and was disappointingly slow to AF on my E-P2. A better option is the Mk II version of the 14-54 which is optimised for CDAF.

6. kiynook

kiynook Mu-43 Regular

Aug 16, 2010
    I bought the 14-54mm MkII for my E-P2 to take pictures at celebration gatherings as I wanted a f2.8.

AF hunts but acceptable to me as I don't shoot action shots. AF is noisy so cannot use for videos.

I did try the 12-60mm and as it is not CDAF adapted, it shudders noisily during focusing.

It is of course front heavy so I used it with a 3rd party hand-grip.

7. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Ok read that elsewhere
    What I want is the 12mm plus the 60mm reach would be good
    Good as the 14-54 is prefer the range of the 12-60

8. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    How bad is the noise and is it much slower than the 14-50 f2.8

Weight don't worry me as I use a PL 14-150 which is HEAVY no AF champ but acceptable

9. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    it'd be great if there was a really nice zoom lens on the micro four thirds...something at 2.8 or so. i don't mind if it's a bit heavier and about the size (if possible) of the 14-150, for the extra weight it'd be worth it!

10. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    There was a rumor that panasonic were developing a fast short zoom

12mm-XXmm and f2/2.8 but there is no more news

I think its needed the Pen kit lens and the G1 kit lens are Ok small yes, but something special in terms of speed IQ and close focusing ability is sorely needed
    It needs to be true WA 12mm (24) and about 2.5 - 3.0 X zoom

11. JohnF

JohnF Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2010
    Oberursel, Germany
    Hi -

It did do some H&S (Hunt and Search) and you could see the logic working: focus in one direction, sense if it is the right direction, then constant speed to and then through the focus, reverse very quickly and bang on. It was fine: I wasn't expecting super duper fast focusing, you only get that with a native lens. For any sort of action, not that great: however, I would use manual and pre-focus for that (i.e. focus the lens where the action will be and learn precisely how much in advance you need to press to get what you want).

JohnF

12. minh0204

minh0204 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 17, 2010
    I'm not sure where I heard this but the way CDAF works is not that suitable for non CDAF lenses. It is harmful to the motor. I'd rather MF and the 12-60 with its SWD motor is great for MF.

Something is possible doesn't mean it should be done.