m43 cameras with 1/8" audio input

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Luke, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I'm about to embark on a small project to digitize some vintage 78 rpm discs and thought that an easy way to share them would be to just mount a tripod next to the stereo and run a cord from the amplifier straight into the camera. The video is supremely unimportant....I'll probably just point the camera at the record label while I record. It doesn't need to be 4k or 1080p.....it's all about the sound. Really all I'm looking for is which cameras have a 1/8" mic input and allow setting volume levels.

I'd like to do this as inexpensively as possible.....and used is fine, so please don't recommend the GH5. Any and all ideas are welcome.

2. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Why wouldn't you just record directly to a computer? Why use a camera for this? It seems like the wrong tool for the job.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman Subscribing Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    why are you using a camera and not your PC/laptop? You may find it already has an audio input, if not you should be able to pick up a cheap USB audio interface for less than 30 bucks.

K

4. TNcasual

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    That being said - I may be wrong, but isn't the panasonic G7 the cheapest mft with a mic input?

5. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I'm using a camera because youtube is an easy place to share short videos. and frankly, I find recording to my computer to be a royal effing pain.

6. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Have you considered using your phone? Often the headphone jack doubles as a mic input, but you might need a 3 or 4 pole 1/8 audio cable for the phone side.

If you have an iphone, there are some specialized mic inputs for those, like this one, that aren't expensive: Tascam iXZ Mic & Instrument Interface for iPad / iPhone IXZ

7. TNcasual

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    My next suggestions was going to be smart phone.

8. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    nope...I hadn't though of that, but my phone does not have a line in

9. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I'd spend(and have) $100 and get a Zoom H1.

10. TNcasual

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Link to inputs

Edit: these are for iOS. I am sure the manufacturers have ones for other OSes

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  11. tkbslc

What model is it? I would be surprised given that 99% of phones I have used accept headset mics into the headphone jack.

Do you want the camera for any other usage besides audio?

12. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Thanks for the link. If I ever become interested in recording with a microphone, I'll keep this list handy. There's some cool-looking microphones there.

13. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Well, I'm thinking I could easily get rid of one of my other m43 cameras.

I suppose if it were cheap enough, I could just add a video recording device with input jack and the ability to set levels and it wouldn't need to be m43. I was just thinking of keeping a streamlined kit....not just adding a super specific tool that won't see much use.

14. tkbslc

Well there aren't a lot of m4/3 cams with mic jacks, and most are newer: Camera feature search: Digital Photography Review : Digital Photography Review

G7 is the only one that's moderately cheap.

I would still advise going about this a different way. You want the best audio quality possible if you are going through all this effort (and expense), and a video camera with line in is still going to be mediocre at best for pure audio recording.

B&H has a nice little blog post about recording vinyl. Maybe give it a read: How to Record Vinyl Records into a Computer

If it were me, I'd probably get a USB turntable.

EDIT: and as for posting to youtube, all you need to do is get a basic, free video editor, drag your audio track in, and then use a still image as the "Video" track. It will play the music with just a still frame for the whole time. You could use a picture of the record cover or label.

Upload audio or image files - YouTube Help

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I agree if I were using the built-in microphone that the camera would be a lousy way to record audio, but if I'm using direct line-outs from the stereo, it should be no different the a tape deck or a digital recorder.....

so that last bit of info is really helpful. Although then I'm back to recording a WAV file onto my hard drive.

I'll probably just just grab a used G7. I'll check to see if the first gen E-M1 has a mic input. Those are starting to get fairly cheap on the used market.

16. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL

All you need is a video editor. put that audio track on the timeline, then add a still to the timeline and set it to display as long as the audio is playing. That's it, done in under 60 seconds and won't cost a penny.

• Agree Agree x 2